[comp.unix.wizards] Counting sh users

quiroz@cs.rochester.edu (Cesar Quiroz) (05/19/88)

This is an aside to the currently going discussion about the merits
of including csh in the standard Sys V distribution (on which I have
no opinion, so I changed the Subject line, excuse me the breach of
accepted etiquette).

From article <2593@polyslo.UUCP> (jeff@polyslo.UUCP (Skippy The Wonder Hacker)):
:
:  The system that I run is the major unix machine for the university.
:Here is the breakdown on shells:
:
:	csh(actually tcsh):	740
:	sh:			  5
:

I tried same in our systems and discovered NO sh users.  Now, that
is peculiar, as I know of at least one.  Careful inspection showed
that his entry in the /etc/passwd didn't have a shell field.   That
defaults to /bin/sh.  So, you too might be undercounting your sh
users, if their entries are just defaulting.

Not that this has much to do with anything that is being discussed.

--
Cesar Augusto Quiroz Gonzalez
Department of Computer Science     ...allegra!rochester!quiroz

rbj@icst-cmr.arpa (Root Boy Jim) (05/20/88)

   From: Cesar Quiroz <quiroz@cs.rochester.edu>

   I tried same in our systems and discovered NO sh users.  Now, that
   is peculiar, as I know of at least one.  Careful inspection showed
   that his entry in the /etc/passwd didn't have a shell field.   That
   defaults to /bin/sh.  So, you too might be undercounting your sh
   users, if their entries are just defaulting.

Or where you count it might make a difference. At TPC, most people
sh or ksh. On a BSD derived system, most everyone uses csh or tcsh.
BRL might be an exception. BTW, how many people actually use a System V
environment on machines that provide dual universes? Are those companys
merely practicing their porting skills?

   Cesar Augusto Quiroz Gonzalez
   Department of Computer Science     ...allegra!rochester!quiroz
   University of Rochester            or
   Rochester,  NY 14627               quiroz@cs.rochester.edu

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	The opinions expressed are solely my own
	and do not reflect NBS policy or agreement
	My name is in /usr/dict/words. Is yours?

In article <14472@brl-adm.ARPA> rbj@icst-cmr.arpa (Root Boy Jim) writes:
>BTW, how many people actually use a System V environment on machines that
>provide dual universes?

Obviously, we do.  In fact our System V emulation was developed
specifically because it was deemed necessary for supporting
application portability.  It sure wasn't because I felt I had
nothing better to do.