[comp.unix.wizards] Request BSD 4.23!

A0096%DK0RRZK0.BITNET@cornellc.ccs.cornell.edu (05/21/88)

We recently bought ULTRIX V2.2 for our institutes Vaxes. This implementation
is promised to be close to the Berkeley 4.2 Release. The problem is the
DEC marketing strategy especially for the MicroVax 3. In Germany you can get
actually the same tape for a MVax 2 and the MVax 3 at suprisingly different
rates. For the MVax 2 it costs about $3500 ; the MVax 3 is about $20000.
Can anyone give me help to the following questions:

      - Is BSD 4.2 binary compatible with ULTRIX V2.2
      - Where can you buy BSD 4.2 UNIX
      - Can you bootstrap a MVax 3 with the standard distribution from tape
      - What are the prices for source/binary licenses for educational/com-
        mercial institutions
      - Can we use BSD 4.3 as well. What are the differences
      - Email adress of the location where you can actually order

Since this list is intended for people maintaining UNIX systems I assume that
at many sites you are involved with such questions.

     Thanks in advance

          Thomas
Thomas Pfenning
University of Cologne (West Germany)
Insitute for Theoretical Physics

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (05/21/88)

In article <14490@brl-adm.ARPA> A0096%DK0RRZK0.BITNET@cornellc.ccs.cornell.edu
writes:
>- Is BSD 4.2 binary compatible with ULTRIX V2.2

No.  Among other things, Ultrix 2.2 includes Sun's NFS; neither 4.2BSD
nor 4.3BSD do.  (You can get 4.3BSD+NFS from U. of Wisconsin or from Mt.
Xinu.)  Some of the `other things' include literally hundreds of fixes
required for 4.2BSD.

>- Where can you buy BSD 4.2 UNIX

From Berkeley, of course.  You would not want 4.2BSD, however, but rather
4.3BSD, which has (as mentioned) hundreds of fixes over 4.2BSD.  You need
an AT&T source license (32V or later) and (I think) $1500 to get 4.3BSD.

>- Can you bootstrap a MVax 3 with the standard distribution from tape

Neither 4.2BSD nor 4.3BSD run on a Microvax III.  4.3BSD runs on a uVax
II but no suitable boot media are provided (i.e., you must buy it with
Ultrix before you can boot 4.3BSD).  MIT has modifications to make
4.3BSD run on a Vaxstation 3000, which I would guess is a uVax III with
a display.

>- Email adress of the location where you can actually order

Anne Hughes <anne@Berkeley.edu>; but you cannot get an order through
without using the post office (since you have to send paperwork, such
as copies of licenses, checks or purchase orders, and so forth).

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (06/01/88)

As quoted from <11612@mimsy.UUCP> by chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek):
+---------------
| 4.3BSD, which has (as mentioned) hundreds of fixes over 4.2BSD.  You need
| an AT&T source license (32V or later) and (I think) $1500 to get 4.3BSD.
+---------------

One dumb question (dumb because it will either show my complete ignorance of
such matters or it will get AT&T heavily down on my case):

Is an AT&T-Toolchest source license ($200, last I checked) sufficient to get
4.3BSD sources?

(If so, 4.3BSD is extremely affordable... unless, of course, that $1500 was
off by an order of magnitude.  Maybe THAT's where AT&T *really* screwed up.)
--
	      Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
	{well!hoptoad,uunet!marque,cbosgd,sun!mandrill}!ncoast!allbery

guy@gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) (06/01/88)

> Is an AT&T-Toolchest source license ($200, last I checked) sufficient to get
> 4.3BSD sources?

Well, I'm not sure what an "AT&T-Toolchest source license" is (I thought the
individual programs in the Toolchest were individually licensed), but the
answer is "no" regardless of what it is, unless it is a complete UNIX source
license.  4.3BSD is derived from AT&T licensed UNIX/32V code, so you need a 32V
or better UNIX source license to get 4.3BSD source.

> (If so, 4.3BSD is extremely affordable... unless, of course, that $1500 was
> off by an order of magnitude.  Maybe THAT's where AT&T *really* screwed up.)

The $1500 is, I presume, the prices for an educational source license (if so,
inflation strikes - I seem to remember that S3 was somewhere around $600, and
V7 was closer to $100), or for the Nth add-on commercial source license for
some sufficiently large value of N.  I think the price for a commercial UNIX
source license is in the $65K range for the first machine.

karish@denali.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (06/01/88)

In article <7843@ncoast.UUCP> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>As quoted from <11612@mimsy.UUCP> by chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek):
>+---------------
>| 4.3BSD, which has (as mentioned) hundreds of fixes over 4.2BSD.  You need
>| an AT&T source license (32V or later) and (I think) $1500 to get 4.3BSD.
>+---------------
>Is an AT&T-Toolchest source license ($200, last I checked) sufficient to get
>4.3BSD sources?
>
>(If so, 4.3BSD is extremely affordable... unless, of course, that $1500 was
>off by an order of magnitude.  Maybe THAT's where AT&T *really* screwed up.)

Berkeley wants a cut.  Two years ago, a license cost $1000 for the group
I was working with, WITHIN UC.

I doubt that AT&T considers a Toolchest source license equivalent to
a 32V license.  The 32V license was cheap, a short while ago, to
academic users: a fixed price (well under $1000) for any number of CPUs
in the same department requested at the same time.

Chuck Karish	ARPA:	karish@denali.stanford.edu
		BITNET:	karish%denali@forsythe.stanford.edu
		UUCP:	{decvax,hplabs!hpda}!mindcrf!karish
		USPS:	1825 California St. #5   Mountain View, CA 94041

In article <7843@ncoast.UUCP> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>Is an AT&T-Toolchest source license ($200, last I checked) sufficient to get
>4.3BSD sources?

There is no such thing as an AT&T-Toolchest source license.
The AT&T UNIX System ToolChest contains many individually-priced
software items, ranging in price from free to several $K.

4.3BSD sources, as Chris said, can be shipped only to those that
have an AT&T UNIX source license (32V, System III, or System V).
I don't know whether older UNIX licenses are still available nor
whether educational institutions still get a substantial discount;
call (800)828-UNIX and ask for UNIX licensing information.

(By the way, there are additional restrictions on 4.3BSD, mainly
a licensing agreement with the University of California.)