[comp.unix.wizards] Open Software Foundation

wesommer@athena.mit.edu (William Sommerfeld) (05/18/88)

This is a typed-in copy of a press release I got this afternoon.
I am not responsible for typing errors, but I think I was fairly
careful.

					Bill Sommerfeld
					wesommer@athena.mit.edu

FOUNDATION CONTACT: Deborah Siegel
		    Cohn & Wolfe
		    (212) 951-8300
... Apollo, Groupe Bull, Digital Equipment, Hewlett-Packard, IBM,
Nixdorf, Siemens ...

	    NEW FOUNDATION TO ADVANCE SOFTWARE STANDARDS,
	    DEVELOP AND PROVIDE OPEN SOFTWARE ENVIRONMENT

NEW YORK, N.Y., May 17, 1988---Seven leading computer companies today
announced an international foundation to develop and provide a
completely open software environment to make it easier for customers
to use computers and software from many vendors.

The Open Software Foundation (OSF) will develop a software
environment, including application interfaces, advanced system
extensions, and a new operating system, using X/Open(tm) and POSIX*
specifications as the starting point.  POSIX is an operating system
standard, closely related to the UNIX(tm) system, that specifies how
software should be written to run on computers from different vendors.

Initial funding for OSF is being provided by the following sponsors:
Apollo Computer Inc., Groupe Bull, Digital Equipment Corporation,
Hewlett-Packard Company, International Business Machines Corporation,
Nixdorf Computer AG, and Siemens Aktiengesellschaft.  OSF membership
is available to computer hardware and software suppliers, educational
institutions, and government agencies around the world.

The foundation has a management organization, staff, and a funding
comittment in excess of $90 million to begin immediate operations.
Its initial development will be based on technologies offered by the
members and its own research, to be carried out worldwide.

"The creation of a standard software enviornment is one of the most
important issues facing the computer industry today," said John L.
Doyle, chairman of the foundation board of directors.  "Establishing
this international foundation fulfills the critical need for an open,
rational, and equitable process to help establish the standards our
customers demand and to protect their long-term software investment."

Foundation Principles:

OSF is incorporated as a non-profit, industry-supported research and
development organization.  It will define specifications, develop a
leadership operating system, and promote an open, portable
applications environment.

Principles of the foundation include:

 * Offerings based on relevant industry standards;
 * Open process to actively solicit inputs and technology;
 * Timely, vendor-neutral decision process;
 * Early and equal access to specifications and continuing
   development;
 * Hardware independant applications;
 * Reasonable, stable licensing terms;
 * Technical innovation through university/research participation.

To support its portable application environment, the foundation will
provide software that makes it easier for users to mix and match
computers and appllications from different suppliers by addressing the
following needs:
 * Portability---the ability to use application software on computers
   from multiple vendors.
 * Interoperability---the ability to have computers from different
   vendors work together;
 * Scalability---the ability to use the same software environment on
   many classes of computers, from personal computers to
   supercomputers.

To achieve maximum acceptance for the new software environment, the
foundation will provide all members early and equal access to the
development process.

The foundation will follow a direction consistent with the
international X/Open Common Application Environment, the U.S. National
Bureau of Standards Application Portability Profile, and equivalent
European and international standards.  Where standards do not exist,
the foundation will work with standards groups to help define them.

Membership

Foundation members will contribute ideas on both technical and policy
matters.  They will be informed of foundation activities on a regular
basis and periodically polled on specific issues.  Membership is open
to anyone.

Research Institute

A research institute is being created to fund research for the
advancement of applications portability, interoperability standards,
and other advanced technologies for future foundation use.  An
academic advisory panel will provide guidance and input to the
institute.  The Institute's research will be conducted worldwide.

Software environment guidelines

The foundation's open software environment will allow vendors to add
value through compatible extensions.  To encourage its widespread use,
it will run on a wide range of single- and multi-processor computers.

THe foundation's software environment includes a set of application
programming interfaces to make it easier to write applications for a
variety of systems.  The initial set of interfaces will support POSIX
and X/Open specifications, and will be extended to include areas such
as distributed computing, graphics, and user interfaces.

The foundation will base its development efforts on its own research
as well as on technologies which will be selected and licensed from
member offerings.  Technologies being considered by the foundation
include:

 * Apollo's Network Computing System(tm) (NCS)
 * Bull's UNIX system-based multiprocessor architecture;
 * Digital's user interface tool kit and style guides for the
   X Window System(tm)
 * Hewlett-Packard's National Language Support (NLS);
 * Nixdorf's relational database technology;
 * Siemens' OSI protocol support.

To provide a clear and easy migration path for application developers
and end users, the foundation's system will include features to
support current System V- and Berkeley-based UNIX applications.  The
operating system will use core technology from a future version of
IBM's AIX(tm) as a development base.

Specifications supported by the foundation will be publicly available,
and a set of verification tests for all appropriate facilities will be
identified or created.  The foundation will license its open system
software internationally.

--------

X/Open is a trademark of X/Open CO. Ltd.
* Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Standard
	1003.
UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T in the U.S. and other
companies.
Network Computing System is a trademark of Apollo Computer, Inc.
X Window System is a trademark of Massachusetts Institute of
	Technology.
AIX is a trademark of International Business Machines Corporation.

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (05/18/88)

Curious that there is no mention of NeWS, IP/TCP, or NFS.  Did Sun not join
because they didn't want to or because they weren't asked?
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (05/18/88)

In article <5412@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> wesommer@athena.mit.edu (William Sommerfeld) writes:

>... Apollo, Groupe Bull, Digital Equipment, Hewlett-Packard, IBM,
>Nixdorf, Siemens ...

     This group is a very predictable lot !  Most of them never wanted
to offer UNIX in the first place.  They were forced into it by customer
demand.

>	    NEW FOUNDATION TO ADVANCE SOFTWARE STANDARDS,
                              ^^^^^^^
>	    DEVELOP AND PROVIDE OPEN SOFTWARE ENVIRONMENT

     More like they want to reimplement the wheel and call it something
else because they don't want to follow AT&T and Sun's lead.

>NEW YORK, N.Y., May 17, 1988---Seven leading computer companies today
>announced an international foundation to develop and provide a
>completely open software environment to make it easier for customers
>to use computers and software from many vendors.

     Huh?   How does creating an alternative standard help do that?
Look at some of the areas of "standardization", like graphics standards,
pick one.

     AT&T and Sun are taking a step that should have been taken years
ago.  It is exactly what the marketplace needs.  And who better to do
it than those who drive the development of the two main strains?
I don't think we want this done by a committee.  On the other hand
one can see the Hamilton Group's problem with this.  They do not want
to have to play catch up all the time.  But in reality, isn't that
what they are doing anyway?  None of those companies has the ability
to effect changes to System V or SunOS (BSD) at the current time.  Why
should Sun and AT&T allow them to in the future?

     There are too many standardization groups out there anyway.  Sun
and AT&T are *doing* something about the problem right now.  Look at
how long the ANSI C effort is taking and that is just one group.  All
of the UNIX-related standardization groups will have to get together
sometime and converge on a single standard.

BTW:  Some of the latest headlines in the trade rags indicate that end
users are not happy about this group spliting off and developing yet
another OS.

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LF-207

randy@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Randy Orrison) (05/19/88)

What a waste.  Could you imagine what those resources could do applied to
the goals of the Free Software Foundation?

Just what we need, another standard.

I have just one question:  Why?

	-randy

Note:  These views are, of course, my own, though if anyone wants to use them,
by all means go right ahead.

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (05/19/88)

The Open Software Foundation has $90Million in funding, and are going
to be hiring "hundreds" of people.

I don't care about WHY they're doing it.

Reading between the lines, I gather they're going to rewrite EVERYTHING so
that it contains no ATT licensed code.  If they pull it off, many people
will be very happy.  I only wish they had given the money to GNU (I know
some people talked to some other people) or UCB.

Regardless of what happens, it's going to be an exciting time in the ole'
Unix world.
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.

karish@denali.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (05/19/88)

In the early '70s, I worked in a small machine shop.  It was a job
shop, specializing in abrasive machining: grinding, lapping, and honing
metals and ceramics to close tolerances.  Most of the customers were
other machine shops that subcontracted work to us; they'd send in
semi-finished parts, and we'd grind a particular dimension to size and
ship the parts back.

In early 1972, the owners of the shop decided to expand their business
by opening, as a separate operation, a conventional machine shop.  The
abrasive machining shop immediately began to lose business.  Shops that
had previously been customers stopped sending in jobs, because they
were afraid that if my employer found out what jobs they were doing, he
would try to bid on the whole job, instead of just the abrasive
machining part.  The conventional machine shop was closed after about
six months.

AT&T and Sun are now in a position where their competitors can't afford
to cooperate with them.  They're on record with the policy that there
will be no distribution of source to other vendors until the whole
operating system (System 5.5 or System 6 or whatever they call it) is
finished and official.  This means that Sun and AT&T will have many
months to polish the implementations for their own machines before any
of their competitors see a single line of new code.

The stakes in the Unix game are pretty high now.  The companies that
are forming the OSF are doing so because they can't allow a competitor
to dictate the rules of the game, and give itself a special advantage,
when there are multi-billion-dollar contracts at stake.

I'm not worried that we'll see a new Balkanization of the Unix
community.  POSIX and the FIPS are explicit enough to ensure that
standardization of Unix implementations will continue.  Remember, too,
that IBM and DEC now have large staffs of engineers who are Unix
partisans, who share the concerns of the Unix community at large.

We may soon see some serious competition between Unix vendors on the
basis of the quality of their implementations, rather than of who has
more features.  I'm looking forward to it.

(I speak only for myself.)
Chuck Karish	ARPA:	karish@denali.stanford.edu
		BITNET:	karish%denali@forsythe.stanford.edu
		UUCP:	{decvax,hplabs!hpda}!mindcrf!karish
		USPS:	1825 California St. #5   Mountain View, CA 94041

lance@Roma.orc.olivetti.com (Lance Berc) (05/19/88)

From today's WSJ (pg10: IBM, Digital, Others Form Coalition On Unix...)

	They cordoned off an area at Apollo's headquarters in Chelmsford,
	Mass., and put together a team of about fifty, consisting mainly
	of technical and marketing people - and "eight million lawyers",
	said Mr. Vanderslice (CEO Apollo).

Just whats needed when it's time to design/develop a new operating system:
a thundering herd of lawyers and marketeers all driven to blood lust with
thoughts of a piece of that $90,000,000 cash cow about to be unleashed...

Not an auspicious beginning for the technical design process. I agree with
the 1% to the FSF approach...

lance

lance@orc.olivetti.com
lance%orc.olivetti.com@unix.sri.com
Lance M. Berc			    Phone: (415) 496-6248
Olivetti Research Center            Internet: lance@orc.olivetti.com, or
2882 Sand Hill Road, Suite 210                lance%orc.uucp@unix.sri.com
Menlo Park, CA 94025                UUCP: {acornrc,oliveb,sri-unix}!orc!lance

nate@mipos3.intel.com (Nate Hess) (05/19/88)

In article <5469@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu> randy@umn-cs.UUCP (Randy Orrison) writes:
>What a waste.  Could you imagine what those resources could do applied to
>the goals of the Free Software Foundation?

In the February edition of GNU's Bulletin, page 4, there is an
announcement that is rather interesting, especially when compared to the
$90M that the OSF is starting with:

Our First Large Donation
------------------------

Software Research Associates, a Japanese software house, has donated
$10,000 to the GNU project.  In addition they plan to send us a Sun-like
SONY workstation and lend us a staff programmer for 6 months.

This represents the influence of Kouichi Kishida, who organized the
Japanese Sigma project (to stimulate Unix competence in Japan), only to
conclude later that the project had gone astray and that a "grass roots
movement" was needed instead.  We hope to be this movement.

[Copyright (C) 1988 by Free Software Foundation, Inc.]

--woodstock
--
	   "How did you get your mind to tilt like your hat?"

...!{decwrl|hplabs!oliveb|pur-ee|qantel|amd}!intelca!mipos3!nate
<domainish> :   nate@mipos3.intel.com		ATT :    (408) 765-4309

sullivan@vsi.UUCP (Michael T Sullivan) (05/20/88)

In article <754@fig.bbn.com>, rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
> Reading between the lines, I gather they're going to rewrite EVERYTHING so
> that it contains no ATT licensed code.  If they pull it off, many people
> will be very happy.

Why will removing AT&T & Sun from the code and putting IBM, DEC, et al
in the code make so many people happy?  It'll make IBM, DEC et al happy--
that I can understand.  Just who is going to be happy that they're jumping
from the AT&T frying pan into the IBM fire?

--
Michael Sullivan		{uunet|attmail}!vsi!sullivan
				sullivan@vsi.com

decot@hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) (05/20/88)

> The Open Software Foundation has $90Million in funding, and are going
> to be hiring "hundreds" of people.
>
> I don't care about WHY they're doing it.
>
> Reading between the lines, I gather they're going to rewrite EVERYTHING so
> that it contains no ATT licensed code.  If they pull it off, many people
> will be very happy.  I only wish they had given the money to GNU (I know
> some people talked to some other people) or UCB.
>
> Regardless of what happens, it's going to be an exciting time in the ole'
> Unix world.

I agree.  Note that OSF also includes a university research program.

Dave Decot
hpda!decot

mb@ttidca.TTI.COM (Michael Bloom) (05/20/88)

 In article <754@fig.bbn.com> rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:

  < The Open Software Foundation has $90Million in funding, and are going
  < to be hiring "hundreds" of people.
  < Reading between the lines, I gather they're going to rewrite EVERYTHING so
  < that it contains no ATT licensed code.  If they pull it off, many people
  < will be very happy.  I only wish they had given the money to GNU (I know
  < some people talked to some other people) or UCB.

Curious, the similarity between the names "Free" and "Open" Software
Foundation.  Perhaps this is the start of "glasnost" in the Un*x world...

Seriously, what you are wishing for is a *damn* good idea in my
opinion.  Perhaps if enough of the potential customers of this new
organization share this opinion and *voice* it (!), it could come to
pass.  Doing so could end up having much more productive results than
just sitting back, waiting to see what happens.

Certainly rms and crew have demonstrated high levels of competence, quality
and productivity.  An investment by the OSF in the FSF could pay off
handsomely.

The question is: Is this new organization *really* interested in
producing a non-proprietary system, or one that is still proprietary
but the terms of which (no royalties to ATT) are more to their liking?

If the latter, I see no special incentive (especially since, the last
I heard, Locus still does not support the fast file system) to switch
from AT&T licensed code to OSF licensed code.

The royalty fees will most likely be competitive (although there will
also be the opportunity for price wars).

- mb

mishkin@apollo.uucp (Nathaniel Mishkin) (05/20/88)

In article <3166@pdn.UUCP> reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) writes:
>In article <5412@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> wesommer@athena.mit.edu (William Sommerfeld) writes:
>>NEW YORK, N.Y., May 17, 1988---Seven leading computer companies today
>>announced an international foundation to develop and provide a
>>completely open software environment to make it easier for customers
>>to use computers and software from many vendors.
>
>     Huh?   How does creating an alternative standard help do that?
>Look at some of the areas of "standardization", like graphics standards,
>pick one.
>

>AT&T and Sun are taking a step that should have been taken years
>ago.  It is exactly what the marketplace needs.  And who better to do
>it than those who drive the development of the two main strains?
>I don't think we want this done by a committee.  On the other hand
>one can see the Hamilton Group's problem with this.  They do not want
>to have to play catch up all the time.  But in reality, isn't that
>what they are doing anyway?  None of those companies has the ability
>to effect changes to System V or SunOS (BSD) at the current time.  Why
>should Sun and AT&T allow them to in the future?

Let me state up front that the following are *my* opinions, and not those
of Apollo Computer, for whom I happen to work:

With my simple engineer hat on, I can see how the AT&T/Sun Unix
collaboration has (had?) a lot going for it.  Unifying Unix (especially
the BSD and System V derivative) is clearly a desirable thing.  The problem
is the way in which the unification was happening.  There are two aspects
to this:  First, getting System V Release 3 (and presumably later releases)
requires companies to sign a fairly (shall we say) "heavyweight" contract
obliging the companies to do all sorts of things.  The set of "things"
is not necessary stable either (i.e. they could be different and Release
4), thus making a company's long-term planning rather hard.  As a result,
it's not clear that all companies could or would sign onto later System
V releases, making the issue of unification moot.

A second aspect to the problem with the way the unification was happening
was that no one other than Sun or AT&T appeared to have any opportunity
to have input into the process.  I'm not asking for votes, or committees,
or stuff like that.  I'm just talking about AT&T saying that they'd at
least listen to and consider ideas that didn't originate at AT&T and
Sun.  I think they have lots of bright people, but they're not *that*
bright and they don't have a corner on the market of good ideas.

Now admittedly, the foregoing is something of a vendor's point of view.
But I have to believe that ultimately these things that are bad for
vendors end up being bad for end users.  Do end users want to put the
nature of future software into the hands of a particular set of vested
interests?  Do end users really want to see the set of computer vendors
reduced because all but two are put at the disadvantage of getting the
latest software at a 6-12 month lag?

>     There are too many standardization groups out there anyway.  Sun
>and AT&T are *doing* something about the problem right now.  Look at
>how long the ANSI C effort is taking and that is just one group.  All
>of the UNIX-related standardization groups will have to get together
>sometime and converge on a single standard.

The intention (at least) is that OSF *not* be a standardization committee.
OSF is a not-for-profit software company that will make open decisions
based upon input from a wide variety of inputs.  They will integrate
existing software (some of which will come from the OSF sponsors) and
write software from scratch if they have to.  Further, it is my
understanding that, contrary to comments otherwise, at least some software
that OSF distributes will be subject to licenses created by organizations
other than OSF.  (Although presumably OSF will not distribute software
subject to the kind of "heavyweight" licenses currently associated with
System V Release 3.)

I don't think anyone knows how this will work out for sure, but I think
it's worth a shot.  I'd rather place the state of my future software
into the hands of an organization structured along the lines of OSF than
into the hands of for-profit companies that have already at least partially
closed the door on outside input.
--
                    -- Nat Mishkin
                       Apollo Computer Inc.

ced@apollo.uucp (Carl Davidson) (05/21/88)

From article <3275@phri.UUCP>, by roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith):
> Curious that there is no mention of NeWS, IP/TCP, or NFS.  Did Sun not join
> because they didn't want to or because they weren't asked?
> --

It's my understanding that IBM's AIX (at least the version OSF is going to use as a base) includes
TCP/IP and may include NFS.  As to NeWS, I have no information.  I do know that X Window is on the
Level 0 list.

I also understand that Sun had a chance to sign on and chose not to, as did AT&T.

The opinions expressed above are unsubstantiated rumors.  Surprisingly, they are not those of Apollo
Computer Inc., the Open Software Foundation, or National Public Radio.  8-)

--
--Carl Davidson                                 "Science is what you do
  Apollo Computer Inc.                           after  you  guess well."

wesommer@athena.mit.edu (William Sommerfeld) (05/21/88)

Nat Mishkin commented on the weightiness of the SVR3 license.  I'll
second his comment.

I'm not sure if MIT ever signed it or not, but last I heard (a few
months ago), the lawyers from both sides had been going at it for a
few _months_ trying to find a license which both sides would sign.  It
was blocking our acquisition of Mach; I'm not sure whether we signed
the license, or whether the requirement of a SVR3 license as a
precondition for Mach was dropped.

Why was the license such a problem?  Well, I've heard two reasons
(from someone who was peripherally involved with the negotiations),
and there are probably more.

 * MIT doesn't like the use of the word "indemnify" in the
contract---it refuses to take responsibility for any alleged monetary
damages to AT&T resulting from disclosure of the source (instead, it
will "make its best efforts" to prevent disclosure).

 * MIT also didn't like the comments about "you cannot show this code
to foreign nationals", because foreign nationals make up 10-15% of the
student body here, MIT does not consider it in its interest to
"separate" them in any way from the rest of the student body (this is
also an issue with .

				- Bill

david@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (David Robinson) (05/21/88)

In article <3c2b0431.bf08@apollo.uucp>, ced@apollo.uucp (Carl Davidson) writes:

> I also understand that Sun had a chance to sign on and chose not to, as did AT&T.

I have heard from reliable sources inside Sun that Scott McNealy received
a Federal Express package that contained membership information for OSF
*THE MORNING* of the press release.  They were not asked to be one of
the founding members.

--
	David Robinson		elroy!david@csvax.caltech.edu     ARPA
				david@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov	  ARPA

jqj@uoregon.uoregon.edu (JQ Johnson) (05/21/88)

The discussion seems to have shifted from OSF to SysV R3 licenses.

One of the major complaints I heard from people at both DEC and HP last
year was that AT&T was requiring SVID compliance (including full
compliance with the SV test suite even though the suite had not been
fully released at the time) for *any* code that made use of or was
derived from any part of the Sys V sources.  HP in particular is in the
business of making more than workstations; I can imagine how they might
want to incorporate awk or streams or something in rom in a lab device,
pay the U..X license fee for the device, but not incorporate *all* of
SysVR3 in the device.

Can anyone report on whether this is still a sticking point for potential
AT&T licensees?

> Certainly rms and crew have demonstrated high levels of competence, quality
> and productivity...

Unfortunately, they have also demonstrated a set of priorities and beliefs
that many people don't go along with, plus a distinct lack of flexibility
when said priorities and beliefs become an issue...

> An investment by the OSF in the FSF could pay off handsomely.

Do remember that RMS and, say, IBM have very different ideas of what "pay
off handsomely" ought to mean.  I seriously doubt that a meeting of the
minds there is very likely.  Pity, it would do both of them good to be a
bit more open-minded...
--
NASA is to spaceflight as            |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
the Post Office is to mail.          | {ihnp4,decvax,uunet!mnetor}!utzoo!henry

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (05/24/88)

in article <3c2a41f6.13422@apollo.uucp>, mishkin@apollo.uucp (Nathaniel Mishkin) says:

> Let me state up front that the following are *my* opinions, and not those
> of Apollo Computer, for whom I happen to work:
>
> With my simple engineer hat on, I can see how the AT&T/Sun Unix
> collaboration has (had?) a lot going for it.  Unifying Unix (especially
> the BSD and System V derivative) is clearly a desirable thing.  The problem
> is the way in which the unification was happening.  There are two aspects
> to this:  First, getting System V Release 3 (and presumably later releases)
> requires companies to sign a fairly (shall we say) "heavyweight" contract
> obliging the companies to do all sorts of things.  The set of "things"
> is not necessary stable either (i.e. they could be different and Release
Evolution is not necessarily stable....as Apollo itself has found in their
migration from Aegis to Apollo Unix (AUX) and then Domain/IX and soon
SR10 Unix...  and apparently to now some future version of AIX from IBM.

> 4), thus making a company's long-term planning rather hard.  As a result,
How could it be harder than the above migrations?

> A second aspect to the problem with the way the unification was happening
> was that no one other than Sun or AT&T appeared to have any opportunity
> to have input into the process.  I'm not asking for votes, or committees,
> or stuff like that.  I'm just talking about AT&T saying that they'd at
> least listen to and consider ideas that didn't originate at AT&T and
> Sun.  I think they have lots of bright people, but they're not *that*
> bright and they don't have a corner on the market of good ideas.
I might understand Apollo's problems but I seem to remember that a number
the Hamilton Group dropped out and stated that they where satisfied with
AT&T "concessions".  One of those was Gould, whose President stated that
they would take AT&T up on the promise of being able to give puts to future
versions of Unix.  Others were Unisys and MIPS.  I couldn't help but notice
Silicon Graphics absence from the OSF "announcement".  Obviously there are
some groups that have not bought OSF(correct-me-if-i'm-wrong-i'm-
sure-you-will) .  Let's face it the OSF members do not have a
sparkling history with regards to contributions to Unix.  AT&T stated they
would not open up the laboratory but would take inputs from the industry.

> Now admittedly, the foregoing is something of a vendor's point of view.
> But I have to believe that ultimately these things that are bad for
> vendors end up being bad for end users.
I don't see how a licensible unified Unix is all that terrible.

> Do end users want to put the
> nature of future software into the hands of a particular set of vested
> interests?
They have for years.  AT&T has constantly had the first versions of System
V....

> Do end users really want to see the set of computer vendors
> reduced because all but two are put at the disadvantage of getting the
> latest software at a 6-12 month lag?
Actually I don't buy this ... Apollo and IBM have both lagged badly (i would
guess at much more than a year) from the remainder of Unix industry with
regards to their Unix implementations ....
...  somehow their are other virtues with these machines ... as they still
are in the market- place.

> (Although presumably OSF will not distribute software
> subject to the kind of "heavyweight" licenses currently associated with
> System V Release 3.)
Isn't that a presumption.  What mechanisms would prevent this?  The OSF
is interesting also because none of the members are bound to use the stuff.

> it's worth a shot.  I'd rather place the state of my future software
> into the hands of an organization structured along the lines of OSF than
> into the hands of for-profit companies that have already at least partially
> closed the door on outside input.
I'd rather see a Unified Unix based on the wealth of software already in
existence than on the promises of companies that have fought Unix from it's
inception.

--------------
Naturally My Opinions Are My Own and not those of my employers.

ram%shukra@Sun.COM (Renu Raman) (05/24/88)

Charles Ditzel wrote:
>I might understand Apollo's problems but I seem to remember that a number
>the Hamilton Group dropped out and stated that they where satisfied with
>AT&T "concessions".  One of those was Gould, whose President stated that
>they would take AT&T up on the promise of being able to give puts to future
>versions of Unix.  Others were Unisys and MIPS.  I couldn't help but notice
>Silicon Graphics absence from the OSF "announcement".  Obviously there are

>Naturally My Opinions Are My Own and not those of my employers.

Mine too:

     Its very interesting to note that the seven-not-so-dwarfs don't
     ship/have UNIX as their primary OS.  Gould, SGI, MIPS, et. al
     have Unix as their primary and probably only OS.  Is it because
     they are totally dependent on ATT (right now at least - from licensing
     perspective) for Unix or was it by Choice.  Ofcourse it may well be
     that these companies could join OSF at a later date (including Sun
     and who knows ATT too :-))?

     personal opinion:  The seven-not-so-dwarfs is composed of strange
     bedfellows.  Its composed of companies who are serious about this
     and companies that are not-so-serious. proof: Olsen (DEC pres.)
     says in 5/16/88 issue of businees week (the cover article is
     a profile on Olsen & DEC)

      "networking is so complicated that no customer in its right mind
      would trust company business to software that was controlled by
      a committee made up of mutual competitors. "The open network will
      be as exciting as a Russian truck," - Olsen quips.

      Boy, a week later the russian truck was ordered:-).
      enuff said...

I have to reiterate here:
My Opinions Are My Own and not those of my employers.

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (05/25/88)

In article <3c2a41f6.13422@apollo.uucp> mishkin@apollo.UUCP (Nathaniel Mishkin) writes:

>First, getting System V Release 3 (and presumably later releases)
>requires companies to sign a fairly (shall we say) "heavyweight" contract
>obliging the companies to do all sorts of things.
>is not necessary stable either (i.e. they could be different and Release
>4), thus making a company's long-term planning rather hard.  As a result,
>it's not clear that all companies could or would sign onto later System
>V releases, making the issue of unification moot.

     He has an excellent point.  In the grand tradition of overpricing the
AT&T 7300 and unbundling all the software that aught to come standard with
UNIX, eg. development tools, wwb, etc...., AT&T's methods of going to market
with their products will undermind all the technical skills of their people.

     God, I just hope this desease doesn't spread to Sun!

--

rbj@icst-cmr.arpa (Root Boy Jim) (05/28/88)

	He has an excellent point.  In the grand tradition of overpricing the
   AT&T 7300 and unbundling all the software that aught to come standard with
   UNIX, eg. development tools, wwb, etc...., AT&T's methods of going to market
   with their products will undermind all the technical skills of their people.

	God, I just hope this desease doesn't spread to Sun!

Perhaps it has. Pascal and Fortran have been unbundled, but that's okay,
as nobody uses them anyway :-)

   George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
    ..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LF-207
   Phone: (813) 530-2376				P.O. Box 2826
						   Largo, FL  34649-2826

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	The opinions expressed are solely my own
	and do not reflect NBS policy or agreement
	My name is in /usr/dict/words. Is yours?

edward@csvaxa.UUCP (Edward Wilkinson) (05/28/88)

I  agree with the sentiment  that  even a tiny fraction of  that $90 M
would go a *long* way towards helping FSF. Rms and friends are doing a
magnificent job on next to no  funds at  all.  Unfortunately, a recent
note in the info-gnu mailing list suggests that  OSF have no intention
of  producing a Public Domain version  of Unix.  This is crazy.  After
all the standardisation efforts, we're diverging again.

To help the situation, why doesn't someone from AT&T or Sun  put out a
statement saying that the V.4 or  whatever will NOT be Sparc-dependant
& will run on  all  chips.  If AT&T  can promise this &  reverse their
restrictive licencing agreements, there will be no NEED for OSF.

Let's not stuff things up just as Unix was getting popular.

#include <std-disclaimer.h>

--
Ed Wilkinson @ Computer Centre, Massey University, Palmerston North, NZ
uucp: {uunet,watmath!cantuar}!vuwcomp!csvaxa!edward   DTE: 530163000005

guy@gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) (05/29/88)

> 	God, I just hope this desease doesn't spread to Sun!
>
> Perhaps it has. Pascal and Fortran have been unbundled, but that's okay,
> as nobody uses them anyway :-)

Note: the unbundling of Pascal and FORTRAN was in no way prompted by any action
on the part of AT&T.  AT&T doesn't run Sun, or dictate its software marketing
policies (except to the extent that their licenses do so).  We have no
expectation that they will do so in the future.

Sun is not a subsidiary of AT&T.  I have no expectation that Sun will become a
subsidiary of AT&T in the future, and I know of nobody within Sun who has such
an expectation.

Sun and AT&T are two separate companies, and will probably continue to be so
for the forseeable future.  Please keep that in mind.

(This wasn't aimed at you, Jim, just aimed at a lot of people with what appears
to be an unrealistic idea of what the relationship between Sun and AT&T.)

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (05/30/88)

In article <3166@pdn.UUCP> reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) writes:
|In article <5412@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> wesommer@athena.mit.edu (William Sommerfeld) writes:
|>	    NEW FOUNDATION TO ADVANCE SOFTWARE STANDARDS,
|                              ^^^^^^^
|>	    DEVELOP AND PROVIDE OPEN SOFTWARE ENVIRONMENT
|
|     More like they want to reimplement the wheel and call it something
|else because they don't want to follow AT&T and Sun's lead.

I was under the impression that they were going to be considerably
more open with licensing and source distribution.  I believe that the
original article said 'reasonable, stable licensing' -- neither of
which AT&T supplies.

If you don't agree, how much *does* it cost for an AT&T source
license?  And what are the terms?  And how has the licensing changed
even between releases of SysV?  I don't consider it reasonable, and
the new difficulties some educators are having getting licenses that
they've always had in the past does not promote the idea of stability.

One man's opinion.

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

guy@gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) (05/30/88)

> To help the situation, why doesn't someone from AT&T or Sun  put out a
> statement saying that the V.4 or  whatever will NOT be Sparc-dependant
> & will run on  all  chips.

OK:

S5R4 will not be SPARC-dependent.

It will run on at least the following:

	68K (a small California computer maker named Sun Microsystems has a
	     product line that includes 68K-based machines, and I think they'd
	     insist on it running on 68Ks; furthermore, Unisoft is talking
	     about doing a 68K port of it for Motorola)

	80386 (a small California computer maker named Sun Microsystems - OK,
	       in this case a small Massachusetts computer maker named Sun
	       Microsystems :-) - and a small New Jersey computer maker named
	       AT&T both have product lines that include 80386-based machines,
	       and I think they'd insist on it running on 80386s)

	SPARC (a small California computer maker - oh, you've heard this one
	       before...)

	WE32K (a small New Jersey computer maker....)

and, from what I've seen, I assume it will also run on:

	88K (Unisoft is also taking about doing an 88K port)

	MIPS R[23]K (they also have a deal with AT&T to develop an ABI)

As for it running on any other chips, that's really up to the chip vendors;
neither AT&T nor Sun are really in the business of porting it to every chip
out there.

I believe AT&T has stated that they will put out:

	1) a 3B2 (WE32K) port

followed by

	2) a SPARC port, presumably to some future AT&T SPARC-based machine

and

	3) an 80386 port, presumably to the AT&T 6386 or somesuch machine.

esj@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Eric S. Johnson) (05/30/88)

In article <54822@sun.uucp> guy@gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
In article <14976@brl-adm.arpa> Root Boy Jim writes:

>>> 	God, I just hope this desease doesn't spread to Sun!
>>
>> Perhaps it has. Pascal and Fortran have been unbundled, but that's okay,
>> as nobody uses them anyway :-)
>
>Note: the unbundling of Pascal and FORTRAN was in no way prompted by any action
>on the part of AT&T.  AT&T doesn't run Sun, or dictate its software marketing
>policies (except to the extent that their licenses do so).  We have no
>expectation that they will do so in the future.

Yet, this "unbundling" of UNIX software did start with ATT. Why has Sun
continued it? I sure would like to see anything sold as UNIX by any vendor be
compatible with the V7 manuals AT THE USERS COMMAND LEVEL. (I.E.  chapter 1)

Such a dreamer am I.

--
In Real Life:           Internet: esj@beach.cis.ufl.edu
Eric S. Johnson II      UUCP: ...{codas|gatech}!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!esj

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (05/30/88)

It appears that the whole flap over ABI (including accusations that "it does
not solve anything") is entirely the result of wild speculation in the popular
press that ABI was supposed to be a totally universal binary standard. Those
of us who work with the vast variety of available CPUs knew this was a silly
concept, and concluded that Sun and AT&T were intending to force SPARC down
everyone's throats. Or, we concluded that it was all puffery, yet another
a.out format pesented by the marketing department. I know I thought that when
ABI was first announced.

A pity. What ABI *does* accomplish is important and useful (would you like to
see your Sun 3 binaries run on a Tandy 6000? ABI makes it possible), but it is
being mired down by people's unfulfilled expectations. Expecting platinum, the
people throw the gold down the sewer....

<csg>

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (05/30/88)

>>the unbundling of Pascal and FORTRAN was in no way prompted by any action
>>on the part of AT&T.  AT&T doesn't run Sun....
>
>Yet, this "unbundling" of UNIX software did start with ATT. Why has Sun
>continued it?

Pyramid has been unbundling lots of stuff since day 1, including ethernet for
pity's sake. I don't see anyone accusing us of being manipulated by AT&T. :-)
(Pyramid doesn't even ship AT&T's compilers; it developed its own.)

Heerz the facts:

- Software isn't free. There are costs to develop, maintain, support, write
  and print documentation, and train staff. If it's on the release tape, you
  are paying for it. If it's bundled, you just don't see the cost. Languages
  are particularly expensive.

- The vast majority of Pyramid's customers -- probably Sun's too -- don't want
  Fortran or Pascal. Why should they pay for something they don't want?

- This is a competative market. Vendors regularly go up for bids where the
  lowest price wins. Unbundling allows a vendor to remove software that is not
  needed for the bid, thus reducing their quoted price.

I think too many readers/posters on USENET have gotten their exposure to UNIX
in universities, and somehow concluded that the software is essentially free.
If all you want to do is roll the 4.3BSD tapes onto your VAX, go for it, and
have fun. But if you want to sell stable, high-performance systems to users
who still have trouble with the RETURN key, then you need to do a lot more.
That involves costs that not only make unbundling justifiable, but essential.

The real irony -- makes me sick, actually -- is to think how much trauma it
has caused some vendors (including Sun and Pyramid), as they wrestled with
themselves over what should be unbundled, what should not, and how to package
it. None of us actually *like* the idea; we're all UNIX hackers, too. But the
marketplace necessitates such things.

I do think AT&T has gone to ludicrous extremes in its unbundling frenzy. But
don't drag Sun into it by insinuation.

<csg>

guy@gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) (05/30/88)

> Yet, this "unbundling" of UNIX software did start with ATT. Why has Sun
> continued it?

Many vendors have unbundled various pieces of UNIX.  Not all of them have done
so just because AT&T did so.  I don't know why we unbundled our compilers,
except that it's not because AT&T unbundled "nroff"....

> I sure would like to see anything sold as UNIX by any vendor be
> compatible with the V7 manuals AT THE USERS COMMAND LEVEL. (I.E.  chapter 1)
>
> Such a dreamer am I.

Definitely.  For one thing, some entries in the SVID specify behavior
*different* from the behavior specified in the V7 manuals.  For another, some
of the commands in the V7 manual are old and obsolete ("tp", for instance) and
it makes no sense for everybody to bundle them into their UNIXes.  Others were
written in assembler; if you want every UNIX out there to support "bas", you'd
better volunteer to rewrite it in C....

barnett@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) (05/31/88)

In article <54849@sun.uucp> guy@gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:

|I don't know why we unbundled our compilers,
|except that it's not because AT&T unbundled "nroff"....

As I heard it, one of the reasons was that Sun wanted to better
understand the needs of the customers. When all of the compilers are
bundled (i.e. 'free'), they had no way to measure how 'popular'
the compiler was.

As an extreme example :-), suppose no-one EVER used Pascal on a Sun-4.
How much money should Sun spend to support the compiler?

By unbundling the compilers, they can measure the 'popularity' of
the package.

Or else thay just wanted to create more paperwork :-)
--
	Bruce G. Barnett 	<barnett@ge-crd.ARPA> <barnett@steinmetz.UUCP>
				uunet!steinmetz!barnett

dan@maccs.UUCP (Dan Trottier) (05/31/88)

In article <54822@sun.uucp> guy@gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
>> 	God, I just hope this desease doesn't spread to Sun!
>>
>> Perhaps it has. Pascal and Fortran have been unbundled, but that's okay,
>> as nobody uses them anyway :-)
>
>Note: the unbundling of Pascal and FORTRAN was in no way prompted by any action
>on the part of AT&T.  AT&T doesn't run Sun, or dictate its software marketing
>policies (except to the extent that their licenses do so).  We have no
>expectation that they will do so in the future.

So just why was Pascal and FORTRAN unbundled? I understand from a marketing
standpoint the benefits of unbundling these languages but what is happening
to your Berkeley origins? Even things as sacred as games have been pruned :-(
What is next? UUCP? Mail? Csh? [NT]roff? or dare I say C?
[Yes I know only the Csh is Berkeley. Substitute your favorite BSD utilities]

Wait for the Sun 5 series. Kernel in ROM and a lot of empty disk :-)
Sure Unix only costs me $500.00 but it would be nice to have a few commands.

Dan Trottier
<<<<<<<<<<<<   These are my opinions, mine all mine so lay off   >>>>>>>>>>>>
--
       A.I. - is a three toed sloth!        | ...!uunet!mnetor!maccs!dan
-- Official scrabble players dictionary --  | dan@mcmaster.BITNET

ehrlich@blitz (Dan Ehrlich) (05/31/88)

In article <54822@sun.uucp> guy@gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
>Sun is not a subsidiary of AT&T.  I have no expectation that Sun will become a
>subsidiary of AT&T in the future, and I know of nobody within Sun who has such
>an expectation.
>
>Sun and AT&T are two separate companies, and will probably continue to be so
>for the forseeable future.  Please keep that in mind.

It is my understanding the AT&T currently owns 20% of SUN Microsystems'
stock (it may be less with options up to 20%).  Anytime a single
company or individual owns that large a block of stock they most
assuredly can influence major decisions.

The operative wording above is "for the forseeable future".  If AT&T
comes to the conclusion that SUN is doing something it does not like,
it could exert quite a bit of pressure to get things done differently.
I would be very surprised if AT&T did not use the power that comes with
owning 20% of a company to change something they percieved as bad for
AT&T's business.

Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@blitz.cs.psu.edu> | Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed are
The Pennsylvania State University      | my own, and should not be atributed
Department of Computer Science         | to anyone else, living or dead.
334B Whitmore Laboratory               |

marc@apollo.uucp (Marc Gibian) (06/01/88)

I have a few personal observations on the OSF which I believe are
independent of the fact that I am employed by the company that initiated
its creation.

It seems to me that the needs of the users, and therefore of software
vendors, have not yet been addressed by the computer industry.  Users
want to be able to treat computer hardware and their operating systems
like other technological products, such as radios, TVs, tape recorders,
etc....  The success of UNIX to date is due to the fact that it more
closely approaches this goal than any other operating system, to date.  A
major reason for this is that it has been ported to a multitude of machines,
initially by the accademic community, and then by commercial vendors.
(due to ease of porting and the need for a standard)

The OSF is to me an industry statement that the defacto standard
that is the ATT supplied UNIX is no longer an adequate solution to the
problem.  Many reasons have been stated in previous postings so I will
not attempt to list them.  I do believe that OSF offers a better solution
than the current mechanism because it is:

1)  An organization with the sole purpose of providing a single
    set of software to be the base software for all hardware platforms
    (that choose to use it).

2)  An organization commited to providing platform independent base
    software.

3)  An organization to provide a common software implementation of various
    computer standards, such as POSIX.

4)  An organization NOT commited to selling any product that sells due
    to factors other than the three previous factors.

There is a lot of speculation about the motivations behind IBM and DEC,
and about particularly IBM's contribution of AIX.  It strikes me that AIX
is mearly a starting point... That the diversity of the original sponsors,
and their hardware products, insures significant evolution from this base.
I do not think that the presence of the European companies should be
minimized.

The ability of OSF to sell its product is directly tied to how well it
provides the standard platform that the users need.  This is our best
assurance that it will do just that.

Marc S. Gibian

email:  marc@apollo.UUCP

jima@hplsla.HP.COM ( Jim Adcock) (06/01/88)

| Unfortunately, a recent
| note in the info-gnu mailing list suggests that OSF have no intention
| of  producing a Public Domain version of Unix.

At least present day FSF licenses all contain restrictions that
make FSF software very difficult to use in commercial environments.

For example, if I were to develop commercial software on a Gnu
Un*x work-alike system, using Gnu C, Gnu C libraries, etc, then
the commercial software that I wrote would contain embedded
copies of code derived from Gnu libraries, which appears to me
to make the commercial software subject to Gnu software licensing
restrictions.  Which could potentially prove catastrophic to the
commercial company making this mistake.

So it is unclear to me how many people would be able to use the
Gnu public domain version of software, unless they are willing to
buy into Stallman's ethics of software development and distribution,
and are willing to work in a environment very different than today's
traditional commercial environment.

I'm not saying this would be good or bad -- its just that Stallman's
licensing agreements don't seem to me to correspond to the
traditional concept of "public domain" software, and I hope
everyone is aware of the difference.  If not, please read the Gnu
Manisfesto, and the Gnu licensing agreements.

I like Gnu products, I am just sorry that I am unable to use them
"on the job."

And you cannot expect corporations to make many donations to
help develop "products" they cannot use, nor to support someone
who openly opposes the standard, legal, every day software
development ethics as practiced in most "software" companies today.

Again, I'm not saying "right" or "wrong", I'm just saying "reality".

Mine own opinions only.

jbs@fenchurch.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) (06/01/88)

In article <3648@psuvax1.psu.edu> ehrlich@blitz.cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
>It is my understanding the AT&T currently owns 20% of SUN Microsystems'
>stock (it may be less with options up to 20%).

It is also interesting to note that at 20%, AT&T is the largest
shareholder.  As part of the agreement, should another party
accumulate more than a 20% holding, AT&T will be allowed to purchase
additional shares to maintain its top position.

Jeff Siegal

sxn%ingersoll@Sun.COM (Stephen X. Nahm) (06/01/88)

writes:
>It is my understanding the AT&T currently owns 20% of SUN Microsystems'
>stock (it may be less with options up to 20%).

Not true.  AT&T can and has bought 5% of Sun's stock on the open market.
The remaining 15% of Sun's stock will be sold to AT&T at Sun's discretion.
This stock will be newly issued shared and AT&T will buy the shares at
a fixed percentage premium over the current market price (averaged over
about 20 days).

So far, Sun has issued AT&T about an additional 2.5% (of Sun's outstanding)
shares.  The average price was about $36, and AT&T bought these for around the
low- to mid-forties.

>                                                        Anytime a single
>company or individual owns that large a block of stock they most
>assuredly can influence major decisions.

This, of course, is true (even given that AT&T now owns "only" 7.5% of Sun).

We now return you to comp.osf.debate (from this brief excursion into
comp.finances.AT&T.sun).

Steve Nahm                              sxn@sun.COM or sun!sxn

ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) (06/01/88)

In article <4538@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com>, barnett@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) writes:
> As I heard it, one of the reasons was that Sun wanted to better
> understand the needs of the customers. When all of the compilers are
> bundled (i.e. 'free'), they had no way to measure how 'popular'
> the compiler was.

One method which has been tried by other manufacturers is surveys.
I remember Burroughs did one for the mainframes that I saw (in fact I
learned about a programming technique on those machines from that survey;
they asked whether anyone was doing X, and that was the first time I ever
heard that X was possible).

Another possible source is bug reports.

If you are in the business of producing, say, a library package which is
supposed to be callable from Fortran, Pascal, and C, your package might
be written entirely in C, and the only use you might have for Fortran or
Pascal might be to test the interface every so often.  The utility of the
Fortran and Pascal compilers is then much lower to you, but the price is
set by other customers who are using them all the time.  GF77, anyone?

ehrlich@blitz (Dan Ehrlich) (06/02/88)

In article <54988@sun.uucp> sxn@sun.UUCP (Stephen X. Nahm) writes:
>>                                                        Anytime a single
>>company or individual owns that large a block of stock they most
>>assuredly can influence major decisions.
>
>This, of course, is true (even given that AT&T now owns "only" 7.5% of Sun).
>Steve Nahm                              sxn@sun.COM or sun!sxn

Well...  If I owned 7.5% of any company this would almost guarantee a
seat on the board of directors.  Being on a board always looks good on
a vitae.  Anyway, a 7.5% stake still gives AT&T a mighty big stick to
beat SUN over the head with if they get upset.

Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@blitz.cs.psu.edu> | Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are
The Pennsylvania State University      | my own, and should not be attributed
Department of Computer Science         | to anyone else, living or dead.
University Park, PA   16802            |