[comp.unix.wizards] automated dump?

indermau@dg (Kurt Indermaur) (06/07/88)

I would like to be able to put a tape in the drive at night and come in
early in the morning to remove a perfect incremental backup.  Is something
like this possible (using dump and a shell script)?  Does the system have to
be shutdown, and the file system unmounted, to get a reliable backup (i.e.,
no weird inode errors when restoring)?  Any pointers to more complete docu-
mentation (not man pages) would also be VERY much appreciated!

--Kurt Indermaur
(indermau@dg.cs.umn.edu)

andy@bnr-ai.UUCP (Andy Ng) (06/08/88)

In article <5750@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu> indermau@dg.cs.umn.edu.UUCP (Kurt Indermaur) writes:
>I would like to be able to put a tape in the drive at night and come in
>early in the morning to remove a perfect incremental backup.

We do an incremental tape backup here every night, by using tar and cron
entries. Sorry, but aside from man pages, I haven't used any other reference.
Just a crontab addition for root to back up.

Maybe it will help ?!

- Brian