[comp.unix.wizards] 4.4 bsd will include OSI support

naim@eecs.nwu.edu (Naim Abdullah) (06/03/88)

Here is some interesting information about 4.4 bsd that I picked
up from a rag (called "Connectivity" dated May 31, 1988). Since
the people developing 4.4 bsd rarely say anything about it, we
might as well pool all the information and rumors that we have.

Anyway, here is a synopsis of the article which is mostly about
OSI support in 4.4.

    * 4.4 bsd is scheduled for release next year.
    * It is expected to include a complete implementation of
      the OSI protocols, in addition to TCP/IP (the article
      doesn't say anything about XNS; I assume that will still
      be there).
    * "Transport level bridges and application layer gateways"
      will be required to allow TCP/IP and OSI networks to interoperate.
      Several vendors are currently at work to develop these products.
      DoD is funding this part. Work is expected to commence in July
      and run for 18 months.

    * University of Wisconsin at Madison is writing the software to
      implement the transport and network layers of the OSI model
      within 4.4 bsd. It is also developing subnetwork support protocols
      that will allow multiple departmental networks to coexist on
      an enterprisewide OSI network.

    * The NBS is developing software to implement the directory
      services application protocol of the OSI model.

    * The MITRE Corp. is working on a virtual terminal protocol.

    * University College, London is designing the X.400 message handling
      system protocol.

    * Wollongong is working on presentation and session services,
      reliable transfer, remote operations and association-control
      protocols.

    * DoD will conduct conformance and interoperability tests on
      the revised BSD Unix before it's release, to ensure that the
      OSI implementation actually conforms to the standard.

    The best part:

    *** The (networking) code will be free!!! No licensing arrangements
        will be required. Hurray. Another major piece for GNU!!!

    Given these rumors, would any of the people working on 4.4 bsd,
care to give us some more information about 4.4 bsd ? (are you listening
Chris ?) More rumors welcome.

		      Naim Abdullah
		      Dept. of EECS,
		      Northwestern University

		      Internet: naim@eecs.nwu.edu
		      Uucp: {ihnp4, chinet, gargoyle}!nucsrl!naim

mrose@twg.com (Marshall Rose) (06/05/88)

Mumble, mumble.

     Although the article was mostly accurate, a couple of the details
     were wrong.  I know 'cause I was one of the people Karyl Scott
     talked to when writing the article.

     First off, Berkeley has not stated what the next BSD release will
     be called.  Although the name "4.4" is a possibility, it could just
     as easily be something else (like "4.3c").

     Next, you imply that DoD is funding the development of vendor
     products to allow TCP/IP and OSI interoperate.  WRONG.  What the
     article said is that the project is working on a couple of
     application-layer gateways, but that some vendors are also working
     on other things, like transport-level bridges.

     The article says that testing will occur before the release of the
     OSI code.  Unlikely.  My guess is that one release will go out with
     only partial testing.  The rest will get tested after that release.
     The reason for this is that conformance test suites do not exist
     (but may soon) for all parts of all layers in the stack.

     Now, the article is sort of WRONG (but well-intentioned) when it
     says the networking code will be free.  For the OSI in the kernel,
     the code will be available under the usual Berkeley UNIX license.
     The stuff above the kernel will be donated to the ISO Development
     Environment, an openly-available implementaton of the OSI
     upper-layers.  ISODE is openly-available, but not public-domain.
     This means that 1) you pay a modest handling fee at one of the four
     world-wide distribution sites, usually around $300, 2) you never
     sign a license, but 3) you agree to hold everyone (particularly ME)
     harmless from anything bad that happens.

     By the way, it is not helpful to pool rumors.  Most rumors are just
     plain wrong.  It is better to get on the phone (like to the author
     of the article in question) and ask precisely what you want to
     know.  Of course, don't tell her that you called PC Week
     Connectivity a "rag" in public.

/mtr

terryl@tekcrl.TEK.COM (06/09/88)

In article <11854@mimsy.UUCP> chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>You already saw a comment from Marshall Rose; I am not going to say
>anything further in that respect.  But:
>
>>    * 4.4 bsd is scheduled for release next year.
>
>`Next Year' is as slippery as `Real Soon Now' or `Sometime This Week'.
>As with fine wines, Berkeley will `release no code ... before its time'.
>
>You *can* expect the post-4.3-tahoe release (which is supposed to be
>STW, or at least RSN, but anyway BU [Before Usenix] [cute acronyms due
>to Donn Seeley]) to have a POSIX-compatible tty driver.  (It is already
>running at Berkeley, but all the utilities have to be converted ... ugh).
>Whether any of the new virtual memory code or file system reorganisation
>will be done I cannot say.

     Which USENIX???? BSU (before summer USENIX), or BWU (before winter
USENIX)??? Thanx, Chris, I really love those TLA's (three letter acronyms,
but you're gonna hafta find a TLA for BU!!!! (-:).

Boy
Do
Hate
Inews
!!!!
!!!!

In article <16006@brl-adm.ARPA>, mrose@twg.com (Marshall Rose) writes:
> Now, the article is sort of WRONG (but well-intentioned) when it says
> the networking code will be free.  [...about kernel...]  The stuff
> above the kernel will be donated to the ISO Development Environment,
> [which is] openly-available, but not public-domain.

> This means that 1) you pay a modest handling fee at one of the four
> world-wide distribution sites, usually around $300, 2) you never sign
> a license, but 3) you agree to hold everyone (particularly ME)
> harmless from anything bad that happens.

If you never sign a license, in what sense do you agree to anything?

And what's to stop me from getting one copy and distributing it for
free all over the place?

Since I'm sure the ISODE people aren't stupid, there must be answers to
the above - what are they?  I'm curious.

					der Mouse

			uucp: mouse@mcgill-vision.uucp
			arpa: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (06/10/88)

>     Which USENIX???? BSU (before summer USENIX), or BWU (before winter
>USENIX)??? Thanx, Chris, I really love those TLA's (three letter acronyms,
>but you're gonna hafta find a TLA for BU!!!! (-:).

and besides, we have prior claims.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University