>main()
>  {
>  struct timeval tv;
>
>  tv.tv_sec = 0;
>  tv.tv_usec = 100000;
>  for( ;; )
>    select( 0, 0, 0, 0, &tv );
>  }
>
> I changed 100000 to 25000, and ran 18 of these on my
> Sun-4/260 with 120MB swap and 24MB ram, with very little else going on.
> Perfmeter shows no disk activity, ps aux shows each of the 18 using almost no
> cpu. Each of the 18 has more than millisecond to get in and out of select,
> which is certainly enough.  And the system is to its knees!  If it doesn't
> work for you, try 19 or 20 or 21. Window refreshes take 10's of seconds. If I
> kill off 3 of these, all is back to normal.
>
> I don't have a 60C to try this on. But, try reducing that delay factor and see
> if you also see a knee in the performance curve well before the cpu should
> be swamped.  (And in any case, swamped cpu doesn't need to imply knee in the
> curve...)

> -mark

Some  people wanted to know if the Knee showed up in a Sun 386i Road Runner.
I tried this program yesterday with 100000 changed to 25000.  Performance
drops off the edge of usefulness at about 20 processes.

Joel Clark
Intel Scientific Computers			joel@intelisc.UUCP.COM
Beaverton, Oregon 97201			{tektronix}!ogcvax!intelisc!joel
(503) 629-7732