[comp.unix.wizards] How good is Apollo UNIX?

kts@quintro.UUCP (Kenneth T. Smelcer) (06/14/88)

In article <697@vsi.UUCP> friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>Ron Natalie @ Rutgers notes:
>> The Apollo systems I've been forced to use do such a poor imitation
>> of UNIX that I have no wonder that you have problems with SVVS.
>
>A friend of mine who uses Apollo says the same thing as well.
>

>In Apollo's defense, Nathanial Mishkin (mishkin@apollo.uucp) says:
>> In at least some ways, SVVS as it is currently constituted
>> thus stifles innovation.  I think stifling innovation is something
>> none of us want.
>
>Isn't it *wonderful* how people can make sunshine out of sh*t? :-)

This isn't the place for a "How good is Apollo Unix" war, but I just
had to put my $0.02 in defense of Domain/IX.

Despite their reputation, Apollo has been doing a fairly good job
in the past few years of integrating Unix into their environment.
The older Apollo releases (pre-9.0) had real problems, but the current
release (9.7) is quite Unix compatible (for both SysVR2 and BSD 4.2).
I have very few problems with programs from comp.sources.* (most run
without any modifications), and I think they've done a decent job
integrating SysV, BSD, and Aegis into a usable, coherent package.

I don't know about IBM and DEC, but Apollo has definitely demonstrated
their commitment to Unix, and to the unification of the various flavors
of Unix into a common platform.

As far as the SVVS is concerned, I'd be interested in hearing any details
about the problems Domain/OS (also known as SR10) had passing the
verification suite.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Ken Smelcer     Quintron Corporation - Quincy, Il.

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (06/24/88)

in article <610@quintro.UUCP>, kts@quintro.UUCP (Kenneth T. Smelcer) says:
> Despite their reputation, Apollo has been doing a fairly good job
> in the past few years of integrating Unix into their environment.
> The older Apollo releases (pre-9.0) had real problems, but the current
> release (9.7) is quite Unix compatible (for both SysVR2 and BSD 4.2).
> I don't know about IBM and DEC, but Apollo has definitely demonstrated
> their commitment to Unix, and to the unification of the various flavors
> of Unix into a common platform.
I tend to agree that things have been better...however that doesn't make
them good or even marginal.
I tend to dislike the offering of two Unix systems on one machine.  You
end up with three operating systems (including Aegis) and YOU HAVE TO
USE AEGIS whether you want to or not (SR 9.7).  The simplest example of
this is with tar (to quote their man page) : [to rewind or retension]"use
the command /com/rbak with -reten or -rewind" Another simple  example
is ANY sort of system administration command, they all live
on the Aegis side and bear no resemblance to Unix.  Incidentally the
"r" and "u" options of tar are not supported by the Apollo tape drivers.
Tar on Apollo winds up only being able to create new archives to tape,
the block length is fixed at 10240 bytes for /dev/rmt8 (and /dev/rmt12)and
512 bytes for /dev/rct8(and /dev/rct12).

As a result if you want to change the block length you wind up having to
use an Aegis command (edmtdesc).

on a aegis sidelight...
The Aegis side of tar is a command called "rbak".   Apollo sells their
system with these 5 1/4 floppies and you can use the rbak command to
write to the floppy however they have a wonderful disclaimer in their
docs cautioning you that error detection (during reads and writes)
with rbak and floppies is "poor". They tell you not to place any
critical or unrecoverable data on the floppy.

(I suppose you can use their mtvol command but it winds up having
a different disclaimer about dmtvol being necessary...and i have
always guessed that they might have forgot to put in the above.
Still I have always wondered why they charge for their floppy systems?)

one more aegis note :
when Apollo went to SR9.5 they introduced an ingenious bug in there
ACL command ...  Since their current Unix (SR9.7) depends on
access control lists (ACLS) this command is frequently used
for system administration ...
anyway ACL has dual purposes
	1) ACL gives you the access control list for a file/directory
	2) ACL also allows you to give a target file/directory a sources
	   ACLS.
Interestingly enough some people could also get the ACLS of the root
directory easily by giving ACL a wildcard option...at 9.5 Apollo reacted
to some Usenet people that trashed their systems using ACL...now they
put the disclaimer "DO NOT, HOWEVER, DO $ acl /... (anything) AS THIS
MAY RENDER YOUR NODE UNUSABLE."

We find the mapping between Aegis and Unix is less than perfect and on occasion
we wind up living in a permissions no-mans land...where a user account
may be myseriously owned by lpr or some such nonsense...Apollo has two
kludges to repair this ...flush_cache and fix_cache.

Actually Apollo still has a ways to go ... there are lots of differences
(look at chmod on Apollo they've mucked with that too...something about
enhancing Unix permissions by dis-allowing x only...)  maybe SR10.0???

-----------------
Naturally My Opinions Are My Own and not my employers...

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (06/24/88)

in article <2038@ssc-vax.UUCP>, benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) says:
> on a aegis sidelight...
> The Aegis side of tar is a command called "rbak".   Apollo sells their
> system with these 5 1/4 floppies and you can use the rbak command to
> write to the floppy however they have a wonderful disclaimer in their
> docs cautioning you that error detection (during reads and writes)
> with rbak and floppies is "poor". They tell you not to place any
> critical or unrecoverable data on the floppy.

i meant wbak (i was thinking about another feature of rbak ...i was
also reading the rbak man page at the time of writing) when I was writing
the description the brain mis-fired :-).  do a mental substitution of
wbak for every ocurrance of rbak in the above.  thanks.

another Apollo Unix sidelight :
in chmod -
	Apollo calls it a feature of Domain memory management, you need
	read permission to execute a file...okay...however if you type
		chmod 111 foo
	you wind up getting :
		-r-xr-xr-x  owner

	Basically giving execute to the owner and anyone else you
	give read permissions.

	If you give it
		chmod 222 foo
	you will not get -w--w--w-
	rather you get :
			-rw-rw-rw
	So they also give read rights to the owner also.

------
Naturally my opinions are my own.

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) (06/25/88)

We have a DN3000 running DomainOS SR10 (4bsd flavor).  Some things are still
unlike Unix (e.g., you create accounts through Apollos registries), but
there's no longer a /com directory of Aegis programs (yay!), but there is
a new /usr/apollo directory (boo!) where programs like rbak live, but it's
got a lot less than the SR9.x /com directory contained.

SR10 feels more like real Unix, but apollos are still apollos, and do certain
things differently, some better than Unix, some not.

Mike Khaw
--
internet: mkhaw@teknowledge.arpa
uucp:	  {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

mishkin@apollo.uucp (Nathaniel Mishkin) (06/27/88)

In article <2038@ssc-vax.UUCP> benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) writes:
>in article <610@quintro.UUCP>, kts@quintro.UUCP (Kenneth T. Smelcer) says:
>> Despite their reputation, Apollo has been doing a fairly good job
>> in the past few years of integrating Unix into their environment.
>I tend to agree that things have been better...however that doesn't make
>them good or even marginal.
>I tend to dislike the offering of two Unix systems on one machine.  You
>end up with three operating systems (including Aegis) and YOU HAVE TO
>USE AEGIS whether you want to or not (SR 9.7).  The simplest example of
>this is with tar (to quote their man page) : [to rewind or retension]"use
>the command /com/rbak with -reten or -rewind" Another simple  example
>is ANY sort of system administration command, they all live
>on the Aegis side and bear no resemblance to Unix.

I don't like multiple operating environments either, but we didn't exactly
get to pick.  We could have "merged" the functionality, but before you
suggest that, please do a close analysis and tell me how many program
will break if not modified.  (I don't really want much to hear about
how close System V and BSD really are.  They're not.  Sure, they can
be merged if you don't care about breaking some unspecified set of
programs.)

Also, let's not exaggerate here -- we didn't "end up with three operating
systems".  I don't care what the marketing brochures say -- we have ONE
operating system that supports the sum total of the BSD services, the
System V services, and the services that Apollo has defined.  All these
services are available from all programs.  There are some services both
BSD and System V give the same name, yet the services behave slightly
differently.  To cope with this, every process has a flag that determines
whether the services in question get BSD behavior or System V behavior.
It's gross, but it's just not that big a deal and there's not a lot of
duplication of code.

As far as the fact that you have to use /com/rbak to retension a tape,
I can't tell whether the "/com" offends you, or the "rbak" offends you
or whether you really want to be able to use "mt retension" or what,
but it hardly seems like a big deal.  At the forthcoming software release,
we have restructured the software distribution to be more Unix culturally
compatible.  All the tools that don't come with BSD or System V but that
are needed to maintain an Apollo system are in /etc or /usr/apollo/...

As far as system administation goes, I'm sorry if you think the way to
maintain a network of 1000s of users is by editing and distributing
/etc/passwd.  I happen to think that tools that do similar operations
in a control, robust, and distributed fashion are the way to go.  Apollo
is in the business of creating such tools.  Again, I can't tell whether
the fact that some tools happened to live in /com is the problem, or
whether you just object to the idea of doing certain system administration
function via tools (or whether just Apollo is not allowed to make new
tools and call them extensions to Unix.)

>one more aegis note :
>when Apollo went to SR9.5 they introduced an ingenious bug in there
>ACL command ...  Since their current Unix (SR9.7) depends on
>access control lists (ACLS) this command is frequently used
>for system administration ...
>Interestingly enough some people could also get the ACLS of the root
>directory easily by giving ACL a wildcard option...at 9.5 Apollo reacted
>to some Usenet people that trashed their systems using ACL...now they
>put the disclaimer "DO NOT, HOWEVER, DO $ acl /... (anything) AS THIS
>MAY RENDER YOUR NODE UNUSABLE."

Thanks for making this bug in our software more widely known so that people
will know to avoid it.  Give me a break -- nobody else has ever had a
similarly serious bug in their software?  What does it have to do with
how well Apollo's do Unix?

>We find the mapping between Aegis and Unix is less than perfect and on occasion
>we wind up living in a permissions no-mans land...where a user account
>may be myseriously owned by lpr or some such nonsense...Apollo has two
>kludges to repair this ...flush_cache and fix_cache.

Fixed in the forthcoming software release in which ACLs and Unix-style
protection have been more sensibly integrated.  We continue to believe
that the flexibility offered by ACLs is a good thing.  The changes
we've made were to make it the case that if you never wanted or used
the flexibility, you'd get *exactly* the Unix protection model without
the kludginess to which you refer.

--
                    -- Nat Mishkin
                       Apollo Computer Inc., Chelmsford, MA

ronc@cerebus.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) (06/30/88)

In article <3ce957a3.13422@apollo.uucp> mishkin@apollo.com (Nathaniel Mishkin) writes:
>In article <2038@ssc-vax.UUCP> benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) writes:
>>I tend to dislike the offering of two Unix systems on one machine.  You
>>end up with three operating systems (including Aegis) and YOU HAVE TO
>>USE AEGIS whether you want to or not (SR 9.7).
>
>I don't like multiple operating environments either, but we didn't exactly
>get to pick.  We could have "merged" the functionality, but before you
>suggest that, please do a close analysis and tell me how many program
>will break if not modified.  (I don't really want much to hear about
>how close System V and BSD really are.  They're not.  Sure, they can
>be merged if you don't care about breaking some unspecified set of
>programs.)

Seems to me the real problem is that Unix sits on top of AEGIS, not that
two flavors of Unix were supported.  Hell, the machine on which I am
composing this, a Sequent Balance 21000, has BSD and SYSV modes, but
the native OS is (mostly) BSD.  Having the native OS being Unix rather
than some proprietary operating system makes a *big* difference when
you have a development environment with a couple dozen kinds of Unix
boxes, a gaggle of Unix gurus, and no (0) AEGIS (for instance) gurus.

The fact that you *must* learn and use AEGIS to use the Domains is one
of the primary reasons we decided to purchase our workstations from one
of Apollo's competitors instead.  Never mind that AEGIS is better than
Unix, that's not the issue.  It's *not* Unix.

BTW, anyone want a couple of Domain 3000's?  We've been trying to unload
them for some time now, but still no takers.

				Ron
--

      Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
      {amdahl, pyramid, sun, unisoft, uunet}!cerebus!ronc

      Calling all Fujitsu Usenet sites!  Contact cerebus!ronc or
      ronc@fai.com to establish uucp connection.

--

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (06/30/88)

in article <3ce957a3.13422@apollo.uucp>, mishkin@apollo.uucp (Nathaniel Mishkin) says:

> In article <2038@ssc-vax.UUCP> benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) writes:
# As far as the fact that you have to use /com/rbak to retension a tape,
# I can't tell whether the "/com" offends you, or the "rbak" offends you
# or whether you really want to be able to use "mt retension" or what,
# but it hardly seems like a big deal.  At the forthcoming software release,
# we have restructured the software distribution to be more Unix culturally
# compatible.  All the tools that don't come with BSD or System V but that
# are needed to maintain an Apollo system are in /etc or /usr/apollo/...
The question was how good was Apollo Unix. Not how good was Aegis? A
number of Unix functions do not perform well without Aegis...tar needs Aegis'
rbak...

> As far as system administation goes, I'm sorry if you think the way to
> maintain a network of 1000s of users is by editing and distributing
> /etc/passwd.  I happen to think that tools that do similar operations
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't EVERY Apollo have a local
registry (the functional equivalent of /etc/passwd) and yes I know that
typical networks use master registry...but as far as I can tell you
handout the same basic information .... I have no gripes against the tools
used as long as their is a high degree of compatibility for Unix
programs to function...unfortunately the /etc/passwd I am familar with
on Apollos does not contain the encrypted password information...so
if you had a Unix script that told you who had passwords by looking
at /etc/passwd , it won't work.(Again I am talking SR9.7 and before...
I don't know what the soon to be released SR10 looks like)

>>when Apollo went to SR9.5 they introduced an ingenious bug in there
>>ACL command ...  Since their current Unix (SR9.7) depends on
>>access control lists (ACLS) this command is frequently used
>>for system administration ...
> Thanks for making this bug in our software more widely known so that people
> will know to avoid it.  Give me a break --
WHOA! I didn't learn about the ACL bug from Apollo.  Are you kidding?
I have yet to see monthly bug reporting let alone any bug information...
I learned about this from the 'net.  A couple of burned users reported
it back at 9.5 on Usenet. At SR9.7 and it still exists.

> similarly serious bug in their software?  What does it have to do with
> how well Apollo's do Unix?
Pre-SR10 Unix LIVES on ACLS.  This IS the primary tool for finding out
what your Access Control Lists are.

Further followups should be posted to comp.sys.apollo ....

Naturally, my opinions are my own.