[comp.unix.wizards] /dev/stdin driver

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (06/28/88)

In article <1186@mcgill-vision.UUCP> mouse@mcgill-vision.UUCP (der Mouse)
writes:
>... if you check back and look at the original postings on this
>issue, the /dev/stdin point was first brought up as follows:

[This from Andrew Hume]
>>	a unix without /dev/stdin is largely bogus but as a sop to the poor
>>	barstards having to work on BSD, gre will support -
>>	as stdin (at least for a while).
[He is Australian, so he is allowed to talk like this :-)]

>With phrasing like that, I can hardly blame Chris for rising to the
>defense of his driver.  And note the "BSD" phrase: that's the context
>in which Chris said there was no excuse for complaining about not
>having /dev/stdin.  And in that context, I agree with him.

Actually, it is Fred Blonder's driver; he wrote it before anyone
here heard of /dev/stdin in V8 Unix.

>And there's no call for complaints about source elitism.  My /dev/stdin
>driver can be added to a binary distribution; surely Chris' can too.

You will need to know the conventions for your system, but yes, it
should not be hard.  Since it only has an `open' routine, it is probably
the simplest driver in the Unix world anyway.

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (07/06/88)

As quoted from <12169@mimsy.UUCP> by chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek):
+---------------
| >And there's no call for complaints about source elitism.  My /dev/stdin
| >driver can be added to a binary distribution; surely Chris' can too.
|
| You will need to know the conventions for your system, but yes, it
| should not be hard.  Since it only has an `open' routine, it is probably
| the simplest driver in the Unix world anyway.

So can anyone tell me how to add it to a System III kernel -- what changes
might be needed to make it work (I *do* know how to actually add the driver,
but SysIII isn't SysV)?  [We may move to System V or even BSD in the future
-- money permitting.  Don't push us unless you intend to pay for it.]
--
Brandon S. Allbery, uunet!marque!ncoast!allbery			DELPHI: ALLBERY
	    For comp.sources.misc send mail to ncoast!sources-misc