[comp.unix.wizards] I/O Processors & Smart Screens

gmg@yendor.UUCP (Gary Godfrey) (06/30/88)

Has anybody ever heard of or worked with a UN*X system that has
a "smart" screen handler in an I/O processor?  The system that I'm
currently running, an ARIX 1100, has simple keyboard input and some
display output delegated to the slave processors.  I'm curious if
anybody has implemented something like curses on the slave processor
level.

Gary Godfrey - ACT, Reston, VA			Phone:		(703)471-9433
UUCP: ..!{mimsy,sundc}!{prometheus,hqda-ai}!yendor!gmg

In article <1568@yendor.UUCP> gmg@yendor.UUCP (Gary Godfrey) writes:
>Has anybody ever heard of or worked with a UN*X system that has
>a "smart" screen handler in an I/O processor?

All Blit-like terminals (AT&T 5620, 630, etc.) do that, and much more.
See the recent posting by Dan Wolski in comp.terminals.

bruce@Stride.COM (Bruce Robertson) (07/09/88)

In article <1568@yendor.UUCP> gmg@yendor.UUCP (Gary Godfrey) writes:
>Has anybody ever heard of or worked with a UN*X system that has
>a "smart" screen handler in an I/O processor?

Visual Technology and XPI are jointly developing an X Server terminal,
which qualifies as a "smart screen handler".  Also, I've worked with
systems which do some fairly high level things.  For example, you can
download a set of characters and a column number, and the reading
process won't be unblocked until either a character in the downloaded
set is typed, or the column number is reached.  This is useful for
programs like Emacs, to avoid context switches on every character
typed.
--

	Bruce Robertson
	MicroSage Computer Systems