[comp.unix.wizards] performance measurement tools on UNIX??

Pabbisetty.Henr@xerox.com (07/06/88)

I would like to get some information on "Performance Measurement" tools in UNIX.
Are there any packages/utilities which help do this kind of a job?

Any information in this regard is appreciated....

Thanks...

- nagesh

Email: Pabbisetty.henr@xerox.com

kjk@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Ken Keirnan) (07/07/88)

In article <16392@brl-adm.ARPA> Pabbisetty.Henr@xerox.com writes:
>I would like to get some information on "Performance Measurement" tools in UNIX.
>Are there any packages/utilities which help do this kind of a job?

You might try the "TUNEX" package available through the AT&T toolchest.
It is a package designed to assist in tuning a UNIX system.  It is
for System V (naturally :-) and slightly oriented toward the AT&T 3B
line, but it should port to other hardware.

--

Ken Keirnan - Pacific Bell - {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!pbhyf!kjk
  San Ramon, California	                    kjk@pbhyf.PacBell.COM

bd@hpsemc.HP.COM (bob desinger) (07/13/88)

> I would like to get some information on "Performance Measurement"
> tools in UNIX.

To measure your System V system, try sar.  To measure your BSD system,
try iostat and vmstat.  Many vendors offer some kind of monitor
program besides; ask your vendor's technical contact if they have one.
Also call your vendor's marketing department to ask about "Third Party
Software," packages written by other companies that are sold by them
or through your vendor.

To measure a specific program, try profiling.  On System V, use prof.
On BSD, use gprof.  Sometimes this is an option to your debugger.  See
Jon Bentley's _More_Programming_Pearls_ book for a great introduction
to profilers.

Off the top of my head, but I hope it helps.
-- bd