[comp.unix.wizards] Input Line Editing In the Kernel

haugj@pigs.UUCP (Joe Bob Willie) (07/13/88)

[ In a previous article Doug Alan expounded on the virtues of kernel support
  for input line editting and virtual terminal output. ]

this is possible where the number of terminals which are supported is
limited to some subset.  a unix system may have any number of different
terminals with their different methods of handling features connected.

the only microcomputer operating system i've seen which had a virtual
screen was the p-system.  it handled screen updates by homing and
redrawing the entire screen.  ibm's (and others) large machine operating
systems can afford to redraw the screen since terminal i/o is so damned
fast (for non-serial devices, such as coax).

for the typical unix system with it's hudge-podge of devices and slow
serial i/o, i don't believe virtual terminal support really belongs
in the kernel.

- john.
--
 John "Evil USENET User" F. Haugh II          HECI Exploration Co, Inc., Dallas
 UUCP: ...!killer!rpp386!jfh                            jfh@rpp386.UUCP :DOMAIN

nessus@wonko.MIT.EDU (Doug Alan) (07/14/88)

In article <249@pigs.UUCP> haugj@pigs.UUCP (Joe Bob Willie) writes:

> In a previous article Doug Alan expounded on the virtues of kernel support
> for input line editting and virtual terminal output.

> this is possible where the number of terminals which are supported is
> limited to some subset.

Hey, I never said that line editting and virtual terminal support
belong in the kernal!  I don't know how you got this idea.  In fact, I
think they definitely don't!  Where they belong is in a special
process devoted to this task.  This allows an infinite number of
different types of terminals to be supported because the process can
be anything the user wants and can be configurable.

Now, to make this work seamlessly may require a few kernal mods, and
those, I think, should be done.  In any case, I just posted a big
article more precisely saying how I think things should be.  See that.

|>oug /\lan

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (07/14/88)

I think people should restrain themselves from posting their wish
lists for software. Too much of it is easily mistaken for sarcasm, or
little children insisting there should be Peace on Earth.

Anal expulsive, basically.

Code, show us code!

(what I can't believe is that we all tolerate this sort of drivel but
that guy posts the code for ile and *he* gets flamed! I wonder if
unix-wizards hasn't sunk beneath redemption, an emotional outlet for
software bureaucrats and the Shop till you Drop crowd.

Don't tell me there are "appropriate" places to post code, many of us
don't distinguish between describing some design wish in english or
code, except that the latter is worth looking at as it carries some
force of plausibility, it's not the fact that a design argument is
written in C (eg), it's whether or not it's pertinent to the issue at
hand.

I'd far rather see the list "flooded" with code that implements
possible designs than masturbatory drivel that usually starts off by
presuming PI == 3.0, the earth is flat, man is basically good and
other "little" conveniences.)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

The only thing thing we seem to learn from history is that we do not
learn anything from history -- Hegel (roughly paraphrased)