[comp.unix.wizards] graphic pipes

oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (08/07/88)

In article <1220@ficc.UUCP> peter@ficc.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:

>Pipes should work just fine with icons. Better, even. You should just be able
>to grab your file, awk, grep, hook them together with rubber band lines,
>and hit "go". I'm amazed that nobody has implemented this yet.

See 1986 Atlanta Usenix Conference proceedings for a neat implementation
of the concept, where multiple pipes (tee^n?) were implemented also.

oz
--
Crud that is not paged	        | Usenet: ...!utzoo!yunexus!oz
is still crud. 			| ....!uunet!mnetor!yunexus!oz

In article <835@yunexus.UUCP> oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) writes:
>In article <1220@ficc.UUCP> peter@ficc.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
 >>
>>Pipes should work just fine with icons. Better, even. You should just be able
>>to grab your file, awk, grep, hook them together with rubber band lines,
>>and hit "go". I'm amazed that nobody has implemented this yet.
 >See 1986 Atlanta Usenix Conference proceedings for a neat implementation
 >of the concept, where multiple pipes (tee^n?) were implemented also.

Hmmm, could they really pick out, say 'tr', from 2 or 3 hundred similar
tools faster than typing the name in?  What about command line options?
Most tools need more than a filename.  If selecting the icon would then
present a form of choices for arguments and do some error checking before
going on to the next tool, there might be some advantage.

Les Mikesell

grogers@m.cs.uiuc.edu (08/09/88)

Anyone interested in this idea should also check out
	Paul E. Haeberli, "ConMan: A Visual Programming Language for
	Interactive Graphics", Computer Graphics, Vol. 22, No. 4,
	SIGGRAPH 1988.

The title is really misleading, this work is not at all a programming language.
It is a multidimensional pipe mechanism for putting together graphics
applications.  Typical tools include a curve editor, curve-to-surface sweeper,
recorder (for animations), renders, and transformation controllers.

You should also look at
	James M. Purtilo, "Polylith: An Environment to Support Management of
	Tool Interfaces", Proceedings of the ACM SIGPLAN Symposium on
	Programming Issues in Programming Environments, Jun 1985.

	J. M. Purtilo, "A Software Interconnection Technology To Support
	Specification of Computational Environments," Dept. of Computer Science,
	University of Illinois, Report number UIUCDCS-R-86-1269, Sept. 1986.

cjc@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Chris Calabrese[rs]) (08/09/88)

In article <6246@chinet.chi.il.us>, les@chinet.UUCP writes:
> Hmmm, could they really pick out, say 'tr', from 2 or 3 hundred similar
> tools faster than typing the name in?  What about command line options?
> Most tools need more than a filename.  If selecting the icon would then
> present a form of choices for arguments and do some error checking before
> going on to the next tool, there might be some advantage.

For a good implimentation(sp?) of how to have command line options
and icons living together, check out the way it's done on the
(gak, gag, gawk, etc) Atari ST under the GEM desktop.

Essentially, the shell knows which files require command lines, and
open a window which lets you type it in.

I still would rather have a text based shell for any _real_ work,
though I often use a WIMP interface to often used tools which require
no command line arguments.
--
--------
	Christopher J. Calabrese

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (08/10/88)

As quoted from <10498@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> by cjc@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Chris Calabrese[rs]):
+---------------
| In article <6246@chinet.chi.il.us>, les@chinet.UUCP writes:
| > Hmmm, could they really pick out, say 'tr', from 2 or 3 hundred similar
| > tools faster than typing the name in?  What about command line options?
| > Most tools need more than a filename.  If selecting the icon would then
| > present a form of choices for arguments and do some error checking before
| > going on to the next tool, there might be some advantage.
|
| For a good implimentation(sp?) of how to have command line options
| and icons living together, check out the way it's done on the
| (gak, gag, gawk, etc) Atari ST under the GEM desktop.
+---------------

The MacOS already knows about multiple entry points in an application (read:
program), so it shouldn't be too much trouble for a pipe-stringing mode
(in System 8.0, which is supposed to have fully pre-emptive process
scheduling instead of the MultiFinder hack) to open the application in
"dialog" mode, where it can pop up a dialog box to get any necessary
arguments via the usual menu/field/button/etc. interface.  (Maybe some
enterprising A/UX hacker -- if such exist yet -- could try implementing
this?)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, uunet!marque!ncoast!allbery			DELPHI: ALLBERY
	    For comp.sources.misc send mail to ncoast!sources-misc