[comp.unix.wizards] Re^2: terminfo

kimcm@freja.dk (Kim Christian Madsen) (09/05/88)

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) writes:

>I tried to fix the problems, but there was NO documentation on how to
>do it, and the terminfo information is not in a format such that it
>can be figured out in a reasonable amount of time.

How about running the infocmp command to give you a terminfo file in
plain ascii -- just like the good ole termcap file, edit whatever you
like and bring it back to binary again.  Not very complicated -- The
most complicated part is to discover the infocmp command.

					Kim Christian Madsen

ok@quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) (09/05/88)

In article <4034@freja.dk> kimcm@freja.dk (Kim Christian Madsen) writes:
>madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) writes:
>How about running the infocmp command to give you a terminfo file in
>plain ascii -- just like the good ole termcap file, edit whatever you
>like and bring it back to binary again.  Not very complicated -- The
>most complicated part is to discover the infocmp command.

Very complicated indeed:  infocmp is not described in Issue 2 of the
System V Interface Definition, and it is not part of System V Release
2.  You can get at *some* of the attributes with the aid of 'tput',
but not the cursor motion strings.
[Does anyone know why the index entry for "tic command" in the SVID
-- on page 462 of Volume II -- refers to page 246?  That's "clri"!]