[comp.unix.wizards] Looking for standalone Eagle access

cball@ishmael (09/07/88)

I recently had a rh780 fail on our 4.3BSD Vax 11/780.  Unfortunately, this
made our system disk(an RM05) inaccessible, so the system was down and out
until DEC was able to fix it.  It would have been a big help to bring the
system up for a few hours so users could transfer their active files to
other systems.  This Vax also has two Emulex SC750's and some Fujitsu
Eagles, so I tried to copy the mini-root from the distribution tape to
partition b on one of the Eagles.  Unfortunately, I couldn't make copy (on
the floppy) access the Eagles.  I would like to be better prepared for the
next time.
	How do I make the standalone copy program or the boot program
access an Eagle in this configuration?  I would appreciate any suggestions.

	While I was trying to use copy, I ran into a documentation error
in the 4.3BSD System Manager's Manual(Installing and Operating 4.3BSD on
the VAX, SMM:1-4).  The RH780 was installed at tr8 as suggested by the
SMM, but DEC installed the System Industries massbus adaptor at tr10 instead
of tr9.  When the system was alive, it had listed the SI MBA as mba1,
but copy required ht(16,1), not ht(8,1) as indicated.  Apparently, in the
device specification "xx(y,z)", y should be calculated as
	(8 * (tr<mbaX>-tr<mba0>)) + device
not
	(8 * mba) + device

	Thanks,
		Charles Ball
		inmet!cball

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (09/07/88)

In article <143300004@ishmael> cball@ishmael writes:
>... 4.3BSD Vax 11/780 ... [with] two Emulex SC750's and some Fujitsu
>Eagles ....  How do I make the standalone copy program or the boot program
>access an Eagle in this configuration?

I thought the SC750 was for VAX 11/750s, but if it acts like a massbuss,
`hp(y,z)' should do it, where `z' is the drive number and `y' is. . . :

>... I ran into a documentation error in ... Installing and Operating
>4.3BSD on the VAX, SMM:1-4 ....  DEC [had] installed the [second] massbus
>adaptor at tr10 instead of tr9. ...  Apparently, in the device
>specification "xx(y,z)", y should be calculated as
>	(8 * (tr<mbaX>-tr<mba0>)) + device
>not
>	(8 * mba) + device

Not really an `error', but rather an attempt at simplification.  `y'
must (on an 11/780) be a number in the range 0..31; the upper 2 bits
of this five bit number select a massbuss TR in the range 8..11, and
the lower 3 select a particular drive on that massbuss.  A configuration
in which mba1 is not at tr9 is unusual enough that the number of
calls to Berkeley CSRG about this is not a problem :-) .  If you have
an MBA on an 11/780 that is on a TR number outside the range 8..11,
you have to modify [vax]stand/autoconf.c.  (We may eventually get
around to installing some code from Robert Elz that fixes all this.)

Incidentally, the 4.3BSD-tahoe VAX boot code now takes the form

(mba)	device(adapter, 0, drive, partition)filename
(mba 2sbi) device(adapter+4, 0, drive, partition)filename
(uba)	device(adapter, controller, drive, partition)filename
(tape)	device(adapter, controller, slave, fileindex)

(n.b. `adaptEr', but I may never get Mike to spell it right).  This
means you can boot from controllers other than 0 on a Unibus.  The `mba
2sbi' is for the second SBIA on a VAX 8600 or 8650.  What with the BI
adapters on the new 8000 and 6000 series VAXen, we may have to add a
fifth prefix, which would clean up this kludge too.

cball@ishmael (09/08/88)

Thanks for the info Chris.

We do in fact have SC780's not SC750's.  I know my memory's poor, but
I still keep trying to rely on it. :-(

Anyway, it turns out that DEC installed the SC780's(mba2) at tr12 and thus
are out of range of at least the mbaddr780 array in autoconf.c.  This
should be enough to go on.

	Thanks again,
	Charles Ball