[net.music] NICO + The Faction -- Camera Obscur

silber@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (09/24/85)

REPLACE THIS LINE WITH A BANNANA

     There is at least one other album on which she appears.  She sings on
about half the songs on the first VELVET UNDERGROUND album.  The album title
is (I think) "The Velvet Underground and Nico", and the cover is white with
a nice bannana done by Andy Warhol.  I believe that Andy actually founded the
group, in any event the album is from some stage "experience" he created.
The band's name comes from the bar where they originally played. Lou Reed
was a member, as was John Cale.  Nico did not sing on any of the band's
later albums (there are three more).

                                    A. Silberman
                                    silber%uiuc@csnet-relay
                                    silber@a.cs.uiuc.edu

hhs@hou2h.UUCP (H.SHARP) (09/25/85)

Nico also sang on the album "The Confessions of Dr. Dream"
by Kevin Ayers.  There is also an album out with Brian Eno,
Kevin Ayers, Nico and some others with a date as the album
title; something like June 4, 1974.
She also has some solo albums out that I have seen but not heard.

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (10/01/85)

> REPLACE THIS LINE WITH A BANNANA
>      There is at least one other album on which she appears.  She sings on
> about half the songs on the first VELVET UNDERGROUND album.  The album title
> is (I think) "The Velvet Underground and Nico", and the cover is white with
> a nice bannana done by Andy Warhol.  I believe that Andy actually founded the
> group, in any event the album is from some stage "experience" he created.

I believe the Velvets existed as a group before Andy got a hold of them.
In fact their first gig was at (?) a high school in Summit, NJ. (Corrections
please if necessary)

> The band's name comes from the bar where they originally played. Lou Reed
> was a member, as was John Cale.  Nico did not sing on any of the band's
> later albums (there are three more).

Also from the latest album, VU (a compilation of leftovers), the name of the
band came from a book on sadomasochism.  (How appropriate:  "Shiny, shiny,
shiny boots of leather, whiplash girlchild in the dark...")
--
"I was walking down the street.  A man came up to me and asked me what was the
 capital of Bolivia.  I hesitated.  Three sailors jumped me.  The next thing I

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (10/02/85)

In article <1057@hou2h.UUCP> hhs@hou2h.UUCP (H.SHARP) writes:
>Nico also sang on the album "The Confessions of Dr. Dream"
>by Kevin Ayers.  There is also an album out with Brian Eno,
>Kevin Ayers, Nico and some others with a date as the album
>title; something like June 4, 1974.

The other principal is John Cale.  The "group" was billed as ACNE (Ayers,
Cale, Nico, Eno); I believe the date you gave is correct.

essco@ucbtopaz.BERKELEY.EDU (Brian P. Gregory) (10/08/85)

Replace this line with your least favorite albums.

Here's some Nico discography for those who are interested; this is some
of the most eerie music I have ever heard.

Velvet Underground and Nico (I don't think that Warhol founded the group (?) )
Chelsea Girl
The Marble Index
Desertshore
The End (with Eno on electronics)

... there's maybe two more, but these are the main entries.
"The End" and "Marble Index" are recommended; but watch out, this
music is not very accessible.