[comp.unix.wizards] Plan 9?

vanpelt@unisv.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) (08/17/88)

In article <8344@smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>There are many good new ideas that can be incorporated into
>future operating systems.  ...  There is one in
>the works called "Plan 9" that embodies some good concepts..

"Plan 9"... as in "Plan 9 From Outer Space"?

Somehow I have to think they're going to change the name
before marketing it.

Sounds interesting, though.  Who's working on it; where can
I get more information?  (Unless it's another one of these
relentlessly interactive, icon-based, rodent-infested,
dumb-user-friendly, smart-user-crippling systems that are
so trendy these days, in which case I'm not interested.)
--
Mike Van Pelt                     Help stamp out Mickey-Mouse
Unisys Silicon Valley                computer interfaces --

gwyn@smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) (08/18/88)

In article <565@unisv.UUCP> vanpelt@unisv.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
>Who's working on it;

It's a research project at Bell Labs.  I don't want to name the
participants, to spare them being deluged with inquiries.

>where can I get more information?

I believe there was a report given at a recent EUUG meeting;
perhaps there's something in the proceedings.  (Wish I had a copy.)
I'm sure there will be more published as the project proceeds.

>(Unless it's another one of these relentlessly interactive, icon-based,
>rodent-infested, dumb-user-friendly, smart-user-crippling systems that
>are so trendy these days, in which case I'm not interested.)

No, it's a post-UNIX distributed system that supports networked
workstations in a different way than you're accustomed to seeing.

Not all bit-map mouse-using systems are designed for dumb users.

In article <565@unisv.UUCP> vanpelt@unisv.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
>"Plan 9"... as in "Plan 9 From Outer Space"?

"Plan 9 from Bell Labs", actually.

>Somehow I have to think they're going to change the name
>before marketing it.

They're not marketing it.  It is strictly a research system.  Unless AT&T
does a bit of a turnaround, the only way you'll ever see it is when bits
of it start showing up in System V Release 57.

>Sounds interesting, though.  Who's working on it; where can
>I get more information? ...

The Bell Labs research crowd (Ritchie, Pike, et al).  Check recent Usenix
and EUUG proceedings for relevant papers.
--
Intel CPUs are not defective,  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
they just act that way.        | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (08/19/88)

In article <565@unisv.UUCP> vanpelt@unisv.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
>In article <8344@smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>>There are many good new ideas that can be incorporated into
>>future operating systems.  ...  There is one in
>>the works called "Plan 9" that embodies some good concepts..
>
>"Plan 9"... as in "Plan 9 From Outer Space"?

Yep, I think that is the idea. :-)

>Somehow I have to think they're going to change the name
>before marketing it.

Marketing ?? What marketing ?? Rob Pike says the ordinary mortals
will never see it, and it is a "pure" re-write of Un*x, by Pike,
Thompson, others. I know of no published paper about it, but Pike
will occasionally do a lecture on it. [I think EUUG got one last
year.]

>Mike Van Pelt

oz

--
Crud that is not paged	        | Usenet: ...!utzoo!yunexus!oz
is still crud. 			|   ...uunet!mnetor!yunexus!oz

In article <846@yunexus.UUCP> oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) writes:
>In article <565@unisv.UUCP> vanpelt@unisv.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
>>
>>"Plan 9"... as in "Plan 9 From Outer Space"?
>
>Yep, I think that is the idea. :-)
>
>Marketing ?? What marketing ?? Rob Pike says the ordinary mortals
>will never see it, and it is a "pure" re-write of Un*x, by Pike,
>Thompson, others. I know of no published paper about it, but Pike
>will occasionally do a lecture on it.

Is this the one where Thompson finally gets to spell creat()
"with an e"?

				--Blair

jherr@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Jack Herrington) (08/19/88)

in article <846@yunexus.UUCP>, oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) says:

>In article <565@unisv.UUCP> vanpelt@unisv.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
>>
>>"Plan 9"... as in "Plan 9 From Outer Space"?
>
> Marketing ?? What marketing ?? Rob Pike says the ordinary mortals
> will never see it, and it is a "pure" re-write of Un*x, by Pike,
> Thompson, others. I know of no published paper about it, but Pike
> will occasionally do a lecture on it. [I think EUUG got one last
> year.]

So how many re-writes of UNIX do we have running right now, let me
see how many I know of.

- Berkeley is developing BSD 4.4
- AT&T is developing SVr4.
- GNU is making GNU.
- Sun and AT&T are "merging" UNIX for AT&T SVr5?
- Plan 9.
- Xenix.
- Posix.
- Mach (not UNIX, but damn close).

There have to be others, maybe I can keep sort of a running list and
post it to both here and 'rec.humor'!.

-Jack Herrington
 jherr@umbio (or jherr%umbio@umigw.miami.edu)
 "Now I have a Machine Gun, Ho, Ho, Ho!"

oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (08/22/88)

In article <282@umbio.MIAMI.EDU> jherr@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Jack Herrington)
writes:

>So how many re-writes of UNIX do we have running right now, let me
>see how many I know of.
>
>- Berkeley is developing BSD 4.4
>- AT&T is developing SVr4.
>- GNU is making GNU.
>- Sun and AT&T are "merging" UNIX for AT&T SVr5?
>- Plan 9.
>- Xenix.
>- Posix.
>- Mach (not UNIX, but damn close).
>
>There have to be others, maybe I can keep sort of a running list and
>post it to both here and 'rec.humor'!.

Heheeee.. You make an interesting point. [You forgot to include
minix] Did I hear someone mention "standards" ?? Or does history
repeat itself ?? Yep, It does. rec.humor should get lotsa postings
within the year 2000, about portability, standards, the "ultimate"
Un*x, and other trivia about "my nix is better then your nix" while
someone at Bell labs is running plan-9 warp 8, ["release" would be a
misnomer] and the neighborhood cabbie is re-writing cat -v ... FSF
folks will be puzzling over "GNU: not enough core" messages on a
1024 meg sun5/3000. Doug Gwyn's rack will contain a 35-volume SXID
(system-10 Interface Definition) that will be the latest AT&T-SUN
sub-standard. [Sources will require a security clearence].

oz

--
Crud that is not paged	        | Usenet: ...!utzoo!yunexus!oz
is still crud. 			|   ...uunet!mnetor!yunexus!oz
	andrew@alice		| Bitnet: oz@[yulibra|yuyetti]
				| Phonet: +1 416 736-5257x3976

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven Bellovin) (08/23/88)

``Plan 9'' is not a product, and is not intended to be.  It is research --
an experimental investigation into a different way of computing.  The
developers started from several basic assumptions:  that CPUs are very
cheap but that we don't really know how to combine them effectively; that
*good* networking is very important; that an intelligent user interface
(complete with dot-mapped display and mouse) is a Right Decision; that
existing systems with networks, mice, etc., are not the correct way to
do things, and in particular that today's workstations are not the way to
go.  (No, I won't bother to explain all their reasoning; that's a long
and separate article.)  Finally, the UNIX system per se is dead as a
vehicle for serious research into operating system structure; it has grown
too large, and is too constrained by 15+ years of history.

Now -- given those assumptions, they decided to throw away what we have
today and design a new system.  Compatibility isn't an issue -- they are
not in the product-building business.  (Nor are they in the ``let's make
another clever hack'' business.)  Of course aspects of Plan 9 resemble
the UNIX system quite strongly -- is it any surprise that Pike, Thompson,
et al., think that that's a decent model to follow?  But Plan 9 isn't,
and is not meant to be, a re-implementation of the UNIX system.  If you
want, call it a UNIX-like system.

Will Plan 9 ever be released?  I have no idea.  Will it remain buried?
I hope not.  Large companies do not sponsor large research organizations
just for the prestige; they hope for an (eventual) concrete return in the
form of concepts that can be made into (or incorporated into) products.

			--Steve Bellovin

Disclaimer:  this article is not, of course, an official statement from AT&T.
Nor is it an official statement of the reasoning behind Plan 9.  I do think
it's accurate, though, and I'm sure I'll be told if I'm wrong...

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (08/24/88)

As quoted from <282@umbio.MIAMI.EDU> by jherr@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Jack Herrington):
+---------------
| So how many re-writes of UNIX do we have running right now, let me
| see how many I know of.
|
| - Berkeley is developing BSD 4.4
| - AT&T is developing SVr4.
| - GNU is making GNU.
| - Sun and AT&T are "merging" UNIX for AT&T SVr5?
| - Plan 9.
| - Xenix.
| - Posix.
| - Mach (not UNIX, but damn close).
+---------------

- The merged Unix/Xenix product codeveloped by AT&T and Microsoft
- Altos System V (Altos got sick of waiting for the above)
- Do Comer's Xinu and Tanenbaum's Minix count?

I understand AT&T and Microsoft are a bit miffed at Altos for not waiting
until the "official" merged product was out to release their version.  Maybe
that's why Altos decided to join the OSF?  (Oooooh, my aching head!)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, uunet!marque!ncoast!allbery			DELPHI: ALLBERY
	    For comp.sources.misc send mail to ncoast!sources-misc

vanpelt@unisv.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) (08/25/88)

In article <10533@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven Bellovin) writes:
>``Plan 9'' ... is research ...  The developers started from
>several basic assumptions: ... that an intelligent user interface
>(complete with dot-mapped display and mouse) is a Right Decision;

Argh!  Mice!  I hate meeces to pieces! :-)

I certainly hope (well, actually, from what I know about the people
involved, I'm reasonably confident) that if they must design a
system that is "user (*bletch*) friendly", they make it one which
does not cripple the person who (a) knows what they're doing and
(b) is not stricken with nameless dread at the sight of a "%" prompt.

But seriously, making the system easier to learn (which you must only do
once) at the expense of making it harder to use (which you must do every
day) is a mistake which far too many people are making these days.  One of
the strengths of Unix is that it is very easy to use, at the expense of
its oft-cited "User unfriendliness".
--

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (08/25/88)

In article <282@umbio.MIAMI.EDU> jherr@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Jack Herrington) writes:
|So how many re-writes of UNIX do we have running right now, let me
|see how many I know of.
[...]
|- Xenix.

I was under the impression that Xenix was the microsoft port of SysV
to the intel architecture, not a rewrite.

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (08/25/88)

In article <583@unisv.UUCP> vanpelt@unisv.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
>... making the system easier to learn (which you must only do
>once) at the expense of making it harder to use (which you must do every
>day) is a mistake which far too many people are making these days.

It depends:  If you really *are* going to use the system only
occasionally, then `friendliness' is important; otherwise, usability
dominates.

>Mike Van Pelt                     Help stamp out Mickey-Mouse
>Unisys Silicon Valley                computer interfaces --
>vanpelt@unisv.UUCP                Menus are for Restaurants!

[thoughtful pause]  Or:  `If you go to the same restaurant every day
for lunch, do you read the menu each time?'

gwyn@smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) (08/25/88)

In article <583@unisv.UUCP> vanpelt@unisv.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
-In article <10533@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven Bellovin) writes:
->``Plan 9'' ... is research ...  The developers started from
->several basic assumptions: ... that an intelligent user interface
->(complete with dot-mapped display and mouse) is a Right Decision;
-I certainly hope (well, actually, from what I know about the people
-involved, I'm reasonably confident) that if they must design a
-system that is "user (*bletch*) friendly", they make it one which
-does not cripple the person who (a) knows what they're doing and
-(b) is not stricken with nameless dread at the sight of a "%" prompt.

Steve did not say "user friendly", meaning mindless-user friendly,
as in the typical Macintosh interface.  Have you used the Blit-style
interface?  It beats the hell out of ordinary dumb CRTs.

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven Bellovin) (08/26/88)

In article <583@unisv.UUCP>, vanpelt@unisv.UUCP writes:
> Argh!  Mice!  I hate meeces to pieces! :-)
>
> I certainly hope (well, actually, from what I know about the people
> involved, I'm reasonably confident) that if they must design a
> system that is "user (*bletch*) friendly", they make it one which
> does not cripple the person who (a) knows what they're doing and
> (b) is not stricken with nameless dread at the sight of a "%" prompt.

I wasn't clear in my original posting.  As far as I know, Plan 9 does not use Sun- (or
Apple-....) style icons to do everything in the world.  The mouse is a pointing and
editing device; it is not intended to replace the shell.

		--Steve Bellovin

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (08/30/88)

As quoted from <24550@bu-cs.BU.EDU> by madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost):
+---------------
| In article <282@umbio.MIAMI.EDU> jherr@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Jack Herrington) writes:
| |So how many re-writes of UNIX do we have running right now, let me
| |see how many I know of.
| [...]
| |- Xenix.
|
| I was under the impression that Xenix was the microsoft port of SysV
| to the intel architecture, not a rewrite.
+---------------

Wrong.  Not only does Xenix exist for the 68000 (Radio Scrap [ ;-) ] Model
16, AKA Tandy 6000) but I've heard that there is a Vax Xenix (though why
anyone would want to run Vax Xenix when there are plenty of *real* Unixes to
run is beyond me).

Also:  many (not all, but many) Xenix "System V's" are really Version 7
internally (/etc/ttys instead of /etc/inittab), and *all* Xenix 3's are
Version 7 instead of System III.

On the other hand, it's *not* a rewrite, either, except insofar as the
"fake" System III/V versions have code added that wasn't in the V7 source
Microsoft was working from.  And the (few?) "real" System V versions are
apparently based on Interactive's 386 Unix port.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, uunet!marque!ncoast!allbery			DELPHI: ALLBERY
	    For comp.sources.misc send mail to ncoast!sources-misc

aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) (09/01/88)

The last time I looked through the maps, I saw a couple
PDP-11/70's running "Xenix".

--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, or my 11/34)

daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) (09/02/88)

In article <2049@stpstn.UUCP> aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) writes:

>The last time I looked through the maps, I saw a couple
>PDP-11/70's running "Xenix".

You sure that wasn't `Venix' ?  I've worked on several -11's running Venix,
including 11/23's and 11/73's.

Dave Hammond
  UUCP: {uunet|...}!marob.masa.com!!daveh
DOMAIN: daveh@marob.masa.com

aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) (09/10/88)

In article <396@marob.MASA.COM> daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) writes:
>In article <2049@stpstn.UUCP> aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
>>The last time I looked through the maps, I saw a couple
>>PDP-11/70's running "Xenix".
[actually, it was over a year ago when I noticed them]
>You sure that wasn't `Venix' ?  I've worked on several -11's running Venix,
>including 11/23's and 11/73's.
from my current maps:
u.aus.nsw.1:#S	DEC PDP 11/73; SCO Xenix 2.4+
u.swe.1:#S	Plessey 11/23, XENIX-11, V7
u.swe.1:#S	Plessey 11/23, XENIX-11 3.0
u.swe.1:#S	PDP 11/23, XENIX V2.2
u.swe.1:#S	PDP 11/60 Venix/11  (probably others running Venix, too)

So they weren't actually 11/70's, but there *is* an 11/70 in there
that says it's running something called Interactive Systems IS/3, as
well an 11 running RSX.