[comp.unix.wizards] System V Release 4.0 Developers Conference

dem@ihwpt.ATT.COM (David E. Martin) (10/07/88)

My big question for System V 4.0 is: Does it have BSD style job control?
Hitting ^Z is such an improvement over getting a new shell from within
vi.

	David Martin
	AT&T Bell Laboratories
	dem@iexist.att.com

gwyn@smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) (10/08/88)

In article <2691@ihwpt.ATT.COM> dem@ihwpt.ATT.COM (David E. Martin) writes:
>My big question for System V 4.0 is: Does it have BSD style job control?

Certainly it would for the "BSD new tty" line discipline and csh.
If its /bin/sh doesn't support job control you could use the BRL version.

ekrell@hector.UUCP (Eduardo Krell) (10/08/88)

In article <2691@ihwpt.ATT.COM> dem@ihwpt.ATT.COM (David E. Martin) writes:

>My big question for System V 4.0 is: Does it have BSD style job control?

The big answer is yes. And you also get symbolic links.

Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

UUCP: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell  Internet: ekrell@ulysses.att.com

jcs@tarkus.UUCP (John C. Sucilla) (10/09/88)

In article <2691@ihwpt.ATT.COM> dem@ihwpt.ATT.COM (David E. Martin) writes:
>My big question for System V 4.0 is: Does it have BSD style job control?
>Hitting ^Z is such an improvement over getting a new shell from within
>vi.

Yea, same question here.  I recently started using a Sun at work and fell
in love with the job control stuff.  It would be a pretty dumb decision
not to include it.
--
John "C". Sucilla,  A silicon based life form.
       {att,chinet,ddsw1}!tarkus!jcs