[comp.unix.wizards] hosts.equiv considered harmful

hwt@bnr-public.uucp (Henry Troup) (11/18/88)

I just checked my SunOS 4.0 *distribution tape* hosts.equiv.  The
file consists of "+\n".  A quick RofTFM shows that this means
***trust everyone***  Surprise!

So- In light of the worm, and this, we should realize that out-of-the-
box systems are not well secured.

Henry Troup		utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!hwt%bnr-public | BNR is not
Bell-Northern Reseach   hwt@bnr (BITNET/NETNORTH) 	     | responsible for
Ottawa, Canada		(613) 765-2337 (Voice)		     | my opinions

haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (99700000) (11/20/88)

In article <185@bnr-fos.UUCP> hwt@bnr-public.UUCP (Henry Troup) writes:
>I just checked my SunOS 4.0 *distribution tape* hosts.equiv.  The
>file consists of "+\n".  A quick RofTFM shows that this means
>***trust everyone***  Surprise!
>
>So- In light of the worm, and this, we should realize that out-of-the-
>box systems are not well secured.

At the recent Usenix security workshop this was the #1 complaint that
we asked the vendors present to take back to their companies.  There was
one man from Sun there - most other vendors were less well represented.

A second point was that vendors ought to have one contact person for
all security-related problems, rather than farming them out to developers
who handle the individual pieces of software separately.
haynes@ucscc.ucsc.edu
haynes@ucscc.bitnet
..ucbvax!ucscc!haynes

"Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an Art."
        Charles McCabe, San Francisco Chronicle

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (11/26/88)

As quoted from <185@bnr-fos.UUCP> by hwt@bnr-public.uucp (Henry Troup):
+---------------
| I just checked my SunOS 4.0 *distribution tape* hosts.equiv.  The
| file consists of "+\n".  A quick RofTFM shows that this means
| ***trust everyone***  Surprise!
|
| So- In light of the worm, and this, we should realize that out-of-the-
| box systems are not well secured.

D*mned right they're not.  See <13139@ncoast.UUCP> in news.sysadmin for the
reason.

The moral of that story is that the people who buy computers, and the people
who run them, need to become aware that security isn't only for the Pentagon.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, comp.sources.misc moderator and one admin of ncoast PA UN*X
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery  <PREFERRED!>	    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu