[comp.unix.wizards] Predictable

bzs@talcott.harvard.edu (Barry Shein) (11/10/88)

Spreading like the virus itself I am getting the following "thought
virus" argument from some very predictable (old guard) people:

	This worm is a good reason to stop the widespread acceptance
	of Unix. (INSERT FAVORITE UPPER-CASE DYING O/S HERE) would
	not have been infected by this problem.

Yeah, right, sort of like saying that if everyone drove their cars at
5MPH there'd be less fatalities on the highways.

Doubtless, but wrong.

The benefits of standards in operating systems far outweigh the risks.
Running one of each O/S and making your users try to use them
effectively is a pretty dumb way to try to achieve security.

I hope we can nip *this* thought virus in the FUD. Nice try though.

	-Barry Shein, ||Encore||

jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) (11/14/88)

In article <17464@adm.BRL.MIL>, encore!pinocchio!bzs@talcott.harvard.edu (Barry Shein) writes:

> Spreading like the virus itself I am getting the following "thought
> virus" argument from some very predictable (old guard) people:
>
> 	This worm is a good reason to stop the widespread acceptance
> 	of Unix. (INSERT FAVORITE UPPER-CASE DYING O/S HERE) would
> 	not have been infected by this problem.

Well, I've found it fairly easy to explain to novices why this is
the wrong conclusion.  How?  I explain that the bug was based on
exploiting a particular program called "sendmail" which is not
part of Unix.  It is part of an email package that is not even
installed on the majority of Unix systems.  The problem is that
sendmail is normally run with "super-user" permissions, which
means that Unix security is turned off while it is running.

Most people understand that it isn't quite fair to criticise a
security package's failures when it is not running.  When they
ask why sendmail needs to run with security suppressed, I just
say "I don't know; its major competitor (uucp) doesn't require
suppressing Unix security, and it runs fine."

--
John Chambers <{adelie,ima,maynard,mit-eddie}!minya!{jc,root}> (617/484-6393)

[Any errors in the above are due to failures in the logic of the keyboard,
not in the fingers that did the typing.]

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (11/25/88)

In his article <120@minya.UUCP> ["Re: Predictable"], jc@minya wrote:
+---------------
| Most people understand that it isn't quite fair to criticise a
| security package's failures when it is not running.  When they
| ask why sendmail needs to run with security suppressed, I just
| say "I don't know; its major competitor (uucp) doesn't require
| suppressing Unix security, and it runs fine."
+---------------

Uucp, going through the password file (except on att.att.com, where it goes
through /usr/lib/uucp/Permissions and is even more secure as a result), has
plenty of security to play with.  But the network entry point to sendmail is
via a particular Internet port; while a random user cannot alter the shell
for another user in /etc/password and cannot replace /usr/lib/uucp/uucico
with another program (or so we hope), if the SMTP port weren't root-only
*any* user could arrange for their own program to listen on the SMTP port
and wreak all kinds of havoc on other systems.  Or at minimum could read
anyone's incoming net mail.  Fun, eh?

I'm not certain what to do about it, I'm not a network maven.  Except that
perhaps network ports should be handled the same way serial ports are; then
*any* (incoming) port could be used to handle mail, and the "shell" for the
port would be /usr/lib/sendmail.  (In fact, one could use the same password
file and thereby get SMTP over serial ports and an automatic "rlogin" (well,
maybe "telnet") mechanism on Inet ports.)  Remote mounts could log in to
rmountd, etc.

Anyone with a bit more knowledge about networking want to tell me what's
wrong with this?  What would break (yes, I know, *everything* at first --
but is there anything that absolutely depends on the current setup?) and
what would require a prohibitive amount of rewriting?  I'm just tossing out
random ideas; they may not be useable as is, but may contain ideas that
*can* be used in some other form....

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, comp.sources.misc moderator and one admin of ncoast PA UN*X
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery  <PREFERRED!>	    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

bzs@encore.com (Barry Shein) (11/25/88)

From: allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery)
>...But the network entry point to sendmail is
>via a particular Internet port; while a random user cannot alter the shell
>for another user in /etc/password and cannot replace /usr/lib/uucp/uucico
>with another program (or so we hope), if the SMTP port weren't root-only
>*any* user could arrange for their own program to listen on the SMTP port
>and wreak all kinds of havoc on other systems.  Or at minimum could read
>anyone's incoming net mail.  Fun, eh?

In the first place that's one big *IF* (*IF* the SMTP port weren't
root-only...) If a user can bypass root security on the system why is
your main concern that they might intercept someone's incoming mail?
Of course they can, they can just 'cat /usr/spool/mail/yournamehere'
and delete what they want etc, why bother with the SMTP port?

And what kind of havoc exactly can someone wreak on other systems by
listening for incoming mail connections? I mean something peculiar to
this ability and, what the hell, something they can't do otherwise via
root permissions since that's a pre-requisite.

I think people are now fully in panic mode and ceasing to make
sense...I really hope this stops soon or people at least try very hard
to be clear about what exactly they are concerned about, it's getting
a tad bit neurotic and chicken-little'ish.

	-Barry Shein, ||Encore||

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (12/01/88)

As quoted from <4271@encore.UUCP> by bzs@encore.com (Barry Shein):
+---------------
| From: allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery)
| >...But the network entry point to sendmail is
| >via a particular Internet port; while a random user cannot alter the shell
| >for another user in /etc/password and cannot replace /usr/lib/uucp/uucico
| >with another program (or so we hope), if the SMTP port weren't root-only
| >*any* user could arrange for their own program to listen on the SMTP port
| >and wreak all kinds of havoc on other systems.  Or at minimum could read
| >anyone's incoming net mail.  Fun, eh?
|
| In the first place that's one big *IF* (*IF* the SMTP port weren't
| root-only...) If a user can bypass root security on the system why is
| your main concern that they might intercept someone's incoming mail?
| Of course they can, they can just 'cat /usr/spool/mail/yournamehere'
| and delete what they want etc, why bother with the SMTP port?
+---------------

The question was why the SMTP port *was* root-only.

+---------------
| And what kind of havoc exactly can someone wreak on other systems by
| listening for incoming mail connections? I mean something peculiar to
| this ability and, what the hell, something they can't do otherwise via
| root permissions since that's a pre-requisite.

Sorry.  Dumb mistake.  It didn't occur to me until a few days ago, in
conjunction with a *different* network protocol, that there was no reason
for SMTP commands to be bidirectional.  (I.e. the fact that you can transmit
SMTP *commands* to a program listening on port 25 doesn't mean that the
receiving program can then transmit another SMTP command [e.g. DEBUG]
*back*.)

++Brandon