[comp.unix.wizards] /etc/failures

jiml@uwslh.UUCP (James E. Leinweber) (12/02/88)

Logging the number of failed attempts to sign in on an account, and
telling it to the user, is a nice idea.  However, disabling accounts
is itself a more or less well known security problem!  This allows an
intruder to deny service to authorized users by spoofing them enough
times.  If you had servers managed via networks (as opposed to
physical consoles), and the guys in the black hats nailed root and all
your other administrators this way, regaining control of the machines
could be a real chore.
--
Jim Leinweber		jiml@uwslh.uucp		jiml%uwslh.uucp@cs.wisc.edu
 ...!{rutgers, ucbvax ...}!uwvax!uwslh!jiml

kai@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (12/02/88)

> disabling accounts ... allows an intruder to deny service to authorized
> users by spoofing them enough times.

I used to manage a VAX VMS system, which had a better variation of this
idea.  Maybe some capable wizard could add this to /bin/login.

1)  If a login of a single account name at a single terminal fails 3 times in
a row within a short period of time, that account is temporarily disallowed
from logging in on that terminal.

2)  If a login of a single account at multiple terminals fails 3 times in a
row, the account is temporarily disallowed from logging in at any terminal.

3)  If logins of any accounts at a single terminal fails 6 times in a row,
that terminal is temporarily disabled.

The effect of a temporarily disallowed account is simply that attempts to
login with it are refused, as though the account doesn't exist.  The effect
of a disabled terminal is that it provides no responce at all.

The number of times a login fails before a "breakin attempt" is logged and
action is taken is configurable, and is usually 3.  The length of time that
the terminal/account is disabled is some period between 5 and 15 minutes (the
range is configurable).  There is some randomness involved in choosing the
exact time, to help thwart automated login/password guessers.  The time gets
longer each consecutive time a particular type of breakin is detected.

The system keeps a list of "breakin attempts" for which action is currently
being taken, and logs and/or broadcasts appropriate messages, allowing a
system or security administrator to quickly take action and/or re-enable the
account/terminal if desired.

	Patrick Wolfe  (pat@kai.com, kailand!pat)
	System Manager, Kuck and Associates, Inc.

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) (12/04/88)

In article <43200055@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu>, kai@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:

> 1)  If a login of a single account name at a single terminal fails 3 times in
> a row within a short period of time, that account is temporarily disallowed
> from logging in on that terminal.

> 2)  If a login of a single account at multiple terminals fails 3 times in a
> row, the account is temporarily disallowed from logging in at any terminal.

> 3)  If logins of any accounts at a single terminal fails 6 times in a row,
> that terminal is temporarily disabled.

What's a ``terminal'' to be disabled?  I'm serious.  What you suggest
may or may not have merit in an environment where most access is via
hard-wired lines these days, however, the real threats are via networks
or dial-up connections.  Even in a campus environment, many (most?)
folks are using some sort of port selector, front-end switch, Ethernet
TAC, etc.  It's rare that any physical port can be associated with a
login attempt.

kai@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (12/06/88)

> /* Written by smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com */
>
>> kai@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:
>> 1)  If a login of a single account name at a single terminal fails 3 times in
>> a row within a short period of time, that account is temporarily disallowed
>> from logging in on that terminal.
>> 2)  If a login of a single account at multiple terminals fails 3 times in a
>> row, the account is temporarily disallowed from logging in at any terminal.
>> 3)  If logins of any accounts at a single terminal fails 6 times in a row,
>> that terminal is temporarily disabled.
>
> What's a ``terminal'' to be disabled?
> ... folks are using some sort of port selector, front-end switch, Ethernet
> TAC, etc.  It's rare that any physical port can be associated with a
> login attempt.

Our work environment consists of multiple Encore Annex ethernet terminal
servers providing access to any host from any terminal in the building, so I
understand what you're saying.

I would consider all network connections from a single network host, terminal
server, or data switch as a single "terminal" when disallowing logins.
Unfortunately, then someone could temporarily stop all access from a data
switch by purposefully incorectly logging in multiple times from multiple
accounts.  Does anyone else have any better approach?

This demonstrates a significant advantage of the Annex terminal server over
all other terminals servers or data switches I've ever used, that in a
security concious environment they can be configured to require a valid
username/password be verified by a local "security server" host before access
to the terminal server command line is given, and to approve and log all
attempts at network connections.  With these features enabled, it's easy to
identify who is attempting a breakin.

Patrick Wolfe  (pat@kai.com, kailand!pat)
System Manager, Kuck and Associates, Inc.

#include <cynical/witty.remark>