[comp.unix.wizards] 4.3BSD Internals book

geordie@ritcsh.UUCP (Geordie Klueber) (10/07/88)

Last winter (around December, I think) there was some discussion about
a book being written called "The Design and Implementation of the 4.3BSD
UNIX Operating System"...  The authors were Leffler, McKusick, Karels,
and Quarterman, it was to be published by Addison-Wesley, and the intended
release date was "late 1988"...  Has anyone heard anything about this book?
Has it been completed yet?  Any information anyone has would be greatly
appreciated...

				-- Geordie
UUCP: ...uunet!ccicpg!cci632!ritcsh!geordie	 BITNET: gfkdco@ritvax
 or   ...rochester!ritcv!ritcsh!geordie		   or    gfkdco@ritvm
	"We close our eyes... and the world has turned around again."

mcneill@eplrx7.UUCP (Keith McNeill) (10/10/88)

In article <4878@ritcsh.UUCP>, geordie@ritcsh.UUCP (Geordie Klueber) writes:

> Last winter (around December, I think) there was some discussion about
> a book being written called "The Design and Implementation of the 4.3BSD
> UNIX Operating System"...  The authors were Leffler, McKusick, Karels,
> and Quarterman, it was to be published by Addison-Wesley, and the intended
> release date was "late 1988"...  Has anyone heard anything about this book?
> Has it been completed yet?  Any information anyone has would be greatly
> appreciated...
>
> 				-- Geordie
> --
me too
--
    Keith D. McNeill              |    E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co.
    uunet!eplrx7!mcneill          |    Experimental Station

chet@pirate.CWRU.EDU (Chet Ramey) (10/11/88)

In article <4878@ritcsh.UUCP> geordie@ritcsh.UUCP (Geordie Klueber) writes:
>Last winter (around December, I think) there was some discussion about
>a book being written called "The Design and Implementation of the 4.3BSD
>UNIX Operating System"...  The authors were Leffler, McKusick, Karels,
>and Quarterman, it was to be published by Addison-Wesley, and the intended
>release date was "late 1988"...  Has anyone heard anything about this book?
>Has it been completed yet?  Any information anyone has would be greatly
>appreciated...

I found a reference to the book in a "forthcoming books" book in the
bookstore here (that enough "books" for you? :-), and called Addison-Wesley
about it.  It's supposed to be out Dec. 15 (hits the streets just in time
for Christmas :-).

The only other information I found that isn't already known is that it will
be 448 pages long.  (I also have the ISBN #, but that's at home).

More fuel for the rumor mill...

Chet Ramey
chet@cwjcc.CWRU.EDU

| Chet Ramey            chet@cwjcc.CWRU.EDU    chet@alpha.CES.CWRU.EDU
|
|		Just another jerk takin' pride in his work...

jim@hoptoad.uucp (Jim Joyce) (01/27/89)

The Berkeley version of Bach's internals book is out,
and it is quite good reading though not for OS beginners.

The Design and Implementation of the 4.3 BSD UNIX Operating System
Samuel J. Leffler, Marshall Kirk McKusick,
Michael J. Karels, and John S. Quarterman
Addison-Wesley, 1989, $38.75
	Contents (page length in parentheses)
Part 1, Overview
1.  History and Goals (16)
2.  Design Overview of 4.3BSD (26)
3.  Kernel Services (23)
Part 2, Processes
4.  Process Management (39)
5.  Memory Management (57)
Part 3, I/O System
6.  I/O System Overview (18)
7.  The Filesystem (37)
8.  Device Drivers (33)
9.  Terminal Handling (20)
Part 4, Interprocess Communication
10. Interprocess Communication (30)
11. Network Communication (31)
12. Network Protocols (18)
Part 5, System Operation
13. System Startup (19)
Glossary (38)
Index (21)
Note:  We have had 200 shipped to Usenix in San Diego
--
e-mail:  ...!{sun,lll-crg}!hoptoad!jim
Snail:	Jim Joyce's UNIX Bookstore