[comp.unix.wizards] writing a big file

tr@ctt.bellcore.com (tom reingold) (02/11/89)

How can I write a file that won't fit on a tape?  I don't want to use
dump.  I want to be prompted to change tapes in the drive when the
tapes run out of space.

Tom Reingold                   |INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.bellcore.com
Bell Communications Research   |UUCP:           bellcore!tr
444 Hoes La room 1H217         |PHONE:          (201) 829-4622 [work],
Piscataway, NJ 08854           |                (201) 287-2345 [home]

kai@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (02/12/89)

There was a program posted to comp.sources.misc or comp.sources.unix a while
back called "bundle" that will help you.

Your program writes to stdout, which you pipe to bundle, and it writes to the
tape, keeping track of when to stop and prompt for a new one (kind of the way
dump handles it).

Patrick Wolfe			System Manager, Kuck & Associates, Inc.
pat@kai.com			{uiucuxc,sequent,alliant,uunet}!kailand!pat
pat@kai.com@uiucvmd.bitnet	pat%kai.com@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
(217) 356-2288			pat%kai.com@uiucuxc.arpa

In article <13976@bellcore.bellcore.com> tr@ctt.bellcore.com (tom reingold) writes:
>How can I write a file that won't fit on a tape?  I don't want to use
>dump.  I want to be prompted to change tapes in the drive when the
>tapes run out of space.

Well, one solution would be to use the POSIX Pax utility to do the
writing of the file to the tape, because pax automatically handles
multiple volumes and prompts for the next volume when each volume
fills up.  The sources were posted in comp.sources.unix recently, so
they are probably available from uunet.

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				410 Memorial Drive, No. 223F
jik@Athena.MIT.EDU				Cambridge, MA 02139-4318
Office: 617-253-4261			      Home: 617-225-8218

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (02/13/89)

In article <13976@bellcore.bellcore.com> tr@ctt.bellcore.com (tom reingold) writes:
>How can I write a file that won't fit on a tape?  I don't want to use
>dump.  I want to be prompted to change tapes in the drive when the
>tapes run out of space.

It would help if you stated what kind of system you are using, and what
utility.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (02/15/89)

In article <13976@bellcore.bellcore.com> tr@ctt.bellcore.com (tom reingold) writes:
| How can I write a file that won't fit on a tape?  I don't want to use
| dump.  I want to be prompted to change tapes in the drive when the
| tapes run out of space.

  I wrote a program called 'bundle' which was posted on either unix or
misc sources about a year ago. It does buffering and handles out of
space on the output media. It includes an input package 'unbundle' to
read multiple media and send their contents to stdout, which you then
pipe into your restore program.

  Drop me a line if you can't find the archive...
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)