[comp.unix.wizards] Undocumented -s option to crypt

naim@eecs.nwu.edu (Naim Abdullah) (02/19/89)

A friend pointed out that there is an undocumented "-s" option
in the 4.3bsd crypt. It apparently sets a 'secureflg' variable
and does something incomprehensible.

What is the purpose and functionality of the -s option to crypt(1) ?
Has it always been there or did Berkeley add it ?

		      Naim Abdullah
		      Dept. of EECS,
		      Northwestern University

		      Internet: naim@eecs.nwu.edu
		      Uucp: {oddjob, chinet, att}!nucsrl!naim

dce@stan.UUCP (David Elliott) (02/20/89)

In article <13030004@eecs.nwu.edu> naim@eecs.nwu.edu (Naim Abdullah) writes:
>What is the purpose and functionality of the -s option to crypt(1) ?
>Has it always been there or did Berkeley add it ?

I remember it being in 4.2BSD and adding it to the documentation in
UTek.  All it really does is to modify the key so that the data is
encrypted differently.

I would guess that the folks at Berkeley were having problems with
people looking over their shoulders or running the clist capture
program, so they could alias 'crypt' to 'crypt -s' and snoops seeing
them type 'crypt' would try without luck.

--
David Elliott		...!pyramid!boulder!stan!dce
"Splish splash, I was rakin' in the cash"  -- Eno