[comp.unix.wizards] Book on Unix behind the scene

chena@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz (Anthony S.K. Cheng) (02/17/89)

Can someone recommend some good books explaining things that are going on
behind Unix (i.e. systems calls, etc)?

Thanks

klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) (02/18/89)

In article <2293@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz> chena@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz (Anthony S.K. Cheng) writes:
>Can someone recommend some good books explaining things that are going on
>behind Unix (i.e. systems calls, etc)?
>
>Thanks

Two good books on UNIX internals (what goes on in the kernel) are:

The Design and Implementation of the 4.3BSD UNIX Operating System,
	by Leffler, McKusick, Karels, and Quarterman
	published by Addison-Wesley
	focuses on BSD UNIX

The Design of the UNIX Operating System
	by M. Bach
	published by Prentice-Hall
	focuses on System V UNIX

Two good books on UNIX programming (how the programmer views the kernel) is:

Advanced UNIX Programming
	by M. Rochkind
	published by Prentice-Hall
	focuses on System V and Version 7 UNIX

The UNIX Programming Environment
	by Kernighan and Pike
	published by Prentice-Hall
	covers a wide range of UNIX topics, mainly from the Version 7
	point of view, including a section on system calls

The only reasonable book I have found that discusses BSD UNIX programming
(sockets, networking, etc.) is:

An Introduction Berkeley UNIX
	by P. Wang
	published by Wadsworth

Anyone know of any other good UNIX books?

Ken Lee
--
klee@daisy.uucp
Daisy Systems Corp., Interactive Graphics Tools Dept.

jsrobin@eneevax.UUCP (John S. Robinson) (02/18/89)

In article <2293@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz> chena@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz (Anthony S.K. Cheng) writes:
>Can someone recommend some good books explaining things that are going on
>behind Unix (i.e. systems calls, etc)?
>
>Thanks

Three books come to mind immediately:

1. The Design of the Unix Operating System by Maurice J. Bach. Prentice Hall
	(System V)

2. The Design and Implementation of the 4.3BSD Unix Operating System by
	Samuel J. Leffler, Marshall Kirk McKusick, Michael J. Karels,
	John S. Quarterman. Addison-Wesley
	(Berkley and SunOS)

3. Writing a Unix Device Driver by Janet I. Egan and Thomas J. Teixeira.
	(Masscomp with appendixes on BSD and Xenix)

lm@snafu.Sun.COM (Larry McVoy) (02/22/89)

In article <1980@eneevax.UUCP> jsrobin@eneevax.eng.umd.edu.UUCP () writes:
>1. The Design of the Unix Operating System by Maurice J. Bach. Prentice Hall
>	(System V)

System V.3 and earlier only;  V.4 will be substantially different.  VM and
networking come time mind, offhand.

>2. The Design and Implementation of the 4.3BSD Unix Operating System by
>	Samuel J. Leffler, Marshall Kirk McKusick, Michael J. Karels,
>	John S. Quarterman. Addison-Wesley
>	(Berkley and SunOS)

This book talks about 4.3BSD.  My copy is at work, but I think there is
very little in there that is SunOS specific.

>3. Writing a Unix Device Driver by Janet I. Egan and Thomas J. Teixeira.
>	(Masscomp with appendixes on BSD and Xenix)

I'd dump this one completely in favour of the AT&T Device Driver Writer's
Guide.  I understand they even have a new & improved version out.  It
documents all the driver interfaces, kernel routines available for driver
use, includes a block & char driver (these are overly complex but it is
source), and in general is very good at the nitty gritty.  This document
does not hold your hand but will get you going if you want to write your
ram disk driver.  *Please* don't ask me how to get one - I swiped mine
from work.

Larry McVoy, Lachman Associates.			...!sun!lm or lm@sun.com

friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) (02/23/89)

In article <90675@sun.uucp>, lm@snafu.Sun.COM (Larry McVoy) writes:

> I'd dump this one completely in favour of the AT&T Device Driver Writer's
> Guide.  I understand they even have a new & improved version out. [...]
> *Please* don't ask me how to get one - I swiped mine from work.

Ask me!  These new manuals are really great.

UNIX(r) System V, Release 3   Block and Character Interace (BSI)

  >  Driver Development Guide - select code 307-191
  >  Driver Reference Manual  - select code 307-192

About $120 for the set, available from AT&T:

-------8<------ standard CIC info ------>8-----

AT&T Customer Information Center
2855 North Franklin Road
Indianapolis, IN  46219-1999

+1 800 432 6600 U.S.A.     +1 800 255 1242 Canada
+1 317 352 8556 Other      +1 317 352 8484 FAX

Hours: 0730 - 1830 EST (GMT+5)
Terms: check, money order, VISA, MasterCard, Amex
       Company purchase order OAC + (order > $50)

Call for free `AT&T Documentation Guide', select code 000-011.

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl / V-Systems, Inc. / Santa Ana, CA / +1 714 545 6442
3B2-kind-of-guy   / friedl@vsi.com  / {attmail, uunet, etc}!vsi!friedl

    "vi2000: the editor of the 21st century" -- Dr. Bertrand Meyer