[comp.unix.wizards] AT&T Driver Writer's Guide Info

lm@snafu.Sun.COM (Larry McVoy) (02/23/89)

Ok, OK, I give up.  I dug out my copy & here's the info that I have.  I'm
sorry, but I will ignore all personal mail on this subject.

AT&T 3b2 and 3b5 Computer Driver Design Guide
November 1984
305-495, Issue 1

What you probably want is the successor to this document.  I do not,
repeat, do not have any info on that document other than it exists.
If someone else finds out how to get this, would you please post it?

Larry McVoy, Lachman Associates.			...!sun!lm or lm@sun.com

friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) (02/23/89)

In article <90874@sun.uucp>, lm@snafu.Sun.COM (Larry McVoy) writes:
> AT&T 3b2 and 3b5 Computer Driver Design Guide
> November 1984
> 305-495, Issue 1

This manual is no longer available and AT&T will laugh at you if you
ask for it.  The new ones (mentioned in my previous posting) is not
an update: it's a total rewrite and very, very comprehensive.

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl / V-Systems, Inc. / Santa Ana, CA / +1 714 545 6442
3B2-kind-of-guy   / friedl@vsi.com  / {attmail, uunet, etc}!vsi!friedl

    "vi2000: the editor of the 21st century" -- Dr. Bertrand Meyer

mleclerc@cmtl01.UUCP (Martin Leclerc) (02/24/89)

In article <90874@sun.uucp> lm@sun.UUCP (Larry McVoy) writes:
>AT&T 3b2 and 3b5 Computer Driver Design Guide
>November 1984
>305-495, Issue 1
>
>What you probably want is the successor to this document.  I do not,
>repeat, do not have any info on that document other than it exists.
>If someone else finds out how to get this, would you please post it?

The 3B2 documentation roadmap for SYS V.3.1 mentions a release 2 of that guide
under the same product code. Also a document titled "Driver Design Guide"
(UPDATE) [305-498]

Hope this helps.

--
 	Martin Leclerc		:	...!attmail!mleclerc
	AT&T Canada		:	...!attcan!cmtl01!mleclerc

ralph@ralmar.UUCP (Ralph Barker) (02/24/89)

In article <90874@sun.uucp>, lm@snafu.Sun.COM (Larry McVoy) writes:

> AT&T 3b2 and 3b5 Computer Driver Design Guide
> November 1984
> 305-495, Issue 1
>
> What you probably want is the successor to this document.....

a while back (Aug 88) Stephen J. Friedl at V-Systems posted the
following information (edited here):

x here is the ordering info:
x     UNIX System V, Release 3 Block and Character Interface (BCI)
x     307-191 Driver Development Guide (very good, 1.75" thick)
x     307-192 Driver Reference Manual  (more terse but comprehensive)
x      Call the AT&T Customer Information Center (CIC) at:
x 	USA	+1 800 432 6600
x 	Canada	+1 800 255 1242
x 	Other	+1 317 352 8556
x      They take Visa, MasterCard, Amex, and probably a company
x purchase order if it's over some amount ($50, I think).  Service
x is via U.S. Mail and is a little under 2 weeks.

--
Ralph Barker, RALMAR Business Systems, 640 So Winchester Blvd, San Jose,CA 95128
uucp: ...{pyramid, sun, uunet}!amdahl!unixprt!ralmar!ralph

pag@tcsc3b2.UUCP (Philip A. Gross) (02/25/89)

In article <90874@sun.uucp>, lm@snafu.Sun.COM (Larry McVoy) writes:

> AT&T 3b2 and 3b5 Computer Driver Design Guide
> November 1984
> 305-495, Issue 1
>
> What you probably want is the successor to this document.  I do not,
> repeat, do not have any info on that document other than it exists.
> If someone else finds out how to get this, would you please post it?
>
> Larry McVoy, Lachman Associates.			...!sun!lm or lm@sun.com

As you guessed, Larry, the latest and greatest version of this manual
now comes in two volumes!!!  They are:

AT&T UNIX(tm) System V, Release 3
Block and Character Interface (BCI)
Driver Development Guide
307-191, Issue 1

AT&T UNIX(tm) System V, Release 3
Block and Character Interface (BCI)
Driver Reference Manual
307-192, Issue 2

Now looking back in my journal for 1988, the number for ordering them is
1/800-432-6600.  If that doesn't do it, the AT&T parts hotline is
1/800-222-7278.

Hope this helps

Philip A. Gross			   |INTERNET:	pag%tcsc3b2@wb3ffv.ampr.org
The Computer Solution Co., Inc.    |USENET:	...!wb3ffv!tcsc3b2!pag
1009 Sycamore Square, P.O. Box 716 |UUCP:	tcsc3b2!pag	(804)794-1514
Midlothian, VA  23113-0716         |ATTMAIL:	attmail!tcsc3b2!pag
Voice: (804)794-3491               |
        The opinions expressed here are strictly mine and nobody elses.
        << I haven't heard what I have to say about that yet. >> :-)