[comp.unix.wizards] namei broken

kremer@cs.odu.edu (Lloyd Kremer) (03/28/89)

	namei() doesn't work!

	It's BROKEN!!

gandalf@csli.STANFORD.EDU (Juergen Wagner) (03/28/89)

In article <8214@xanth.cs.odu.edu> kremer@cs.odu.edu (Lloyd Kremer) writes:

>	namei() doesn't work!
>
>	It's BROKEN!!

Fascinating. How about mentioning operating system, architecture, etc. of
the machine you've encountered this on? How about a (just a tiny little bit)
more descriptive note?

--
Juergen Wagner		   			gandalf@csli.stanford.edu
						 wagner@arisia.xerox.com

guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) (03/29/89)

>	namei() doesn't work!
>
>	It's BROKEN!!

That's a pretty amazing statement, given the number of V7/S3/S5/4.xBSD
systems out there that seem to look up many hundreds, thousands, or more
files a day with few, if any problems.  Would you care to amplify that
statement, so that we know precisely *what* you think "doesn't work"?

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (03/30/89)

>	namei() doesn't work!
>
>	It's BROKEN!!

What I'm trying to understand is, if it's true, how the guy posted the
message or how any of us are reading or replying to it.
--

	-Barry Shein, Software Tool & Die

There's nothing more terrifying to hardware vendors than
satisfied customers.

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (03/30/89)

In article <29045@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
> What I'm trying to understand is, if it's true, how the guy posted the
> [namei() doesn't work!, It's BROKEN!!] message or how any of us are
> reading or replying to it.

	Oh come on Barry, there you go showing your narrow-minded view of
the universe again :-).  There *are* systems capable of posting news
articles that don't have namei() in them.  Maybe he used a VMS system?
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (03/30/89)

>	Oh come on Barry, there you go showing your narrow-minded view of
>the universe again :-).  There *are* systems capable of posting news
>articles that don't have namei() in them.  Maybe he used a VMS system?
>--
>Roy Smith, System Administrator

Tell ya what, we'll shut off all the Unix systems on the USENET and he
can try posting it again...

>"The connector is the network"

Indeed.
--

	-Barry Shein, Software Tool & Die

There's nothing more terrifying to hardware vendors than
satisfied customers.

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (03/31/89)

I hate to sound stupid when I'm just ignorant, but
what is namei()?  Neither our Ultrix nor SunOs systems have
a manual entry for it.
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory

We don't need no stinking signatures!

ken@inxt.uucp (Kenneth E. Stailey) (04/02/89)

In article <2303@helios.ee.lbl.gov> envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) writes:
>I hate to sound stupid when I'm just ignorant, but
>what is namei()?
namei is a kernel routine that turns a pathname into an inode number