[comp.unix.wizards] uucp killing

jcbst3@cisunx.UUCP (James C. Benz) (03/31/89)

For my peace of mind, is there some way to kill all spooled jobs for a given
machine queued for uucp?  Let me put that a little more clearly.  Suppose
I have a machine foobar, and I have ten jobs queued for uucp to foobar.
Foobar has just been relegated to the scrap heap, so these jobs will never
get sent, or maybe I just discovered an error in the list of files that I
sent to foobar.  Anyway, I want to kill all jobs queued for sending to foobar.
I can sit here and type "uustat -k{idnum}" ten times, which seems like an
enormous waste of time (it is - I do it a lot).  What I would like to do is
something like "uustat -kfoobar*", which doesn't work (can't find job foobar*-
not killed).  I suppose I could do something like "uustat -sfoobar|shellscript"
but then I have to write a shellscript and keep a copy on each machine I work
on just for this.  Does anyone know of a way to structure the uustat call so
I can do this generically?  (running ATTsysV on a 3B2)  (If this seems trivial,
I guess its just because I'm a little bored today :-} )
--
Jim Benz 		     jcbst3@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu     If a modem
University of Pittsburgh					 answers,

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (04/02/89)

In article <17183@cisunx.UUCP> jcbst3@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (James C. Benz) writes:
: For my peace of mind, is there some way to kill all spooled jobs for a given
: machine queued for uucp?  Let me put that a little more clearly.  Suppose
: I have a machine foobar, and I have ten jobs queued for uucp to foobar.
: Foobar has just been relegated to the scrap heap, so these jobs will never
: get sent, or maybe I just discovered an error in the list of files that I
: sent to foobar.

There's nothing wrong with going into the spool directory and
deleting the files contained there. For HDB this is easy, just do rm
-fr /usr/spool/uucp/foobar, if you are feeling confident.  For the
old UUCP, I'm not sure exactly how the files are named, but the
principle is the same: just remove the appropriate files.

---
Bill                            { uunet | novavax } !twwells!bill
(BTW, I'm may be looking for a new job sometime in the next few
months.  If you know of a good one where I can be based in South
Florida do send me e-mail.)

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) (04/03/89)

In article <17183@cisunx.UUCP> jcbst3@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (James C. Benz) writes:
>For my peace of mind, is there some way to kill all spooled jobs for a given
>machine queued for uucp?

How about

cut -d' ' -f2 /usr/spool/uucp/C.machine-name* | xargs rm -f
rm /usr/spool/uucp/C.machine-name*

You get the idea ...
--
John F. Haugh II                        +-Quote of the Week:-------------------
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  | "Do not drink and bake"

news@brian386.UUCP (Wm. Brian McCane) (04/07/89)

=
=There's nothing wrong with going into the spool directory and
=deleting the files contained there. For HDB this is easy, just do rm
=-fr /usr/spool/uucp/foobar, if you are feeling confident.  For the
=old UUCP, I'm not sure exactly how the files are named, but the
=principle is the same: just remove the appropriate files.
=

Why not use a script like :

for i in `uustat -a | awk ' $4 == "foobar" { print $1 } '`
do
	uustat -k $i
done

	brian

(Yeah, I use Bourne Shell, what of it! ;-)

--
Wm. Brian McCane                    | Life is full of doors that won't open
                                    | when you knock, equally spaced amid
Disclaimer: I don't think they even | those that open when you don't want
            admit I work here.      | them to. - Roger Zelazny "Blood of Amber"