[comp.unix.wizards] Priorty messages in Unix

ojr@wpi.wpi.edu (Walden H. Leverich III) (04/12/89)

Does anyone know if there is a way to tell 4.xBSD Unix to let certain
priorty messages through? And how to encode the messages as being priorty.

Perhaps even better, is there a way to allow only mesages from certain
users to come through? The binary choice offered by mesg y/n just does
not cut it.

I'm not looking for an easy solution, anything will do.

Thanks,

Walden Leverich

Walden H. Leverich III                        Worcester Polytechnic Inst.
					               EE Dept.
Internet: ojr@wpi.wpi.edu
UUCP:     {husc6}!m2c!wpi!ojr                 SlowNet: WPI Box 1841
BITNET:   ojr@wpi.BITNET    	                       Worcester, MA 01609

"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't be childish at times?"
                                                - The Doctor

tom@lakesys.UUCP (Tom Baas) (04/14/89)

>Does anyone know if there is a way to tell 4.xBSD Unix to let certain
>priorty messages through? And how to encode the messages as being priorty.

>Perhaps even better, is there a way to allow only mesages from certain
>users to come through? The binary choice offered by mesg y/n just does
>not cut it.

>Walden Leverich

On AT&T UNIX, you can allow group write permissions to the /dev/tty.
I assume that this also holds for BSD Unix(correct me if I'm wrong.)

What you do is to set the group write permission of the tty involved to that
group of users that you want to be allowed to send it messages.

Tom Baas

{uwcsd1,umargue}!lakesys!tom  or {uwcsd1,umarque}!lakesys!tbaas!tom

chad@lakesys.UUCP (Chad Gibbons) (04/14/89)

In article <538@lakesys.UUCP> tom@lakesys.UUCP (Tom Baas) writes:
|>Does anyone know if there is a way to tell 4.xBSD Unix to let certain
|>priorty messages through?
|On AT&T UNIX, you can allow group write permissions to the /dev/tty.
|I assume that this also holds for BSD Unix(correct me if I'm wrong.)

	On most BSD-derivative systems no user other than the owner has
access to your tty, nor can you modify your own.  Talk requests and such
are done through a system of daemon processes which control user access
to each other.  This was done in order to remove the ever frustrating
moment when someone does a "cat</etc/hosts>/dev/ttyxx&" to your terminal.
--
D. Chadwick Gibbons, chad@lakesys.lakesys.com, ...!uunet!marque!lakesys!chad

mjs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Mike Spitzer) (04/19/89)

In article <1857@wpi.wpi.edu> ojr@wpi.wpi.edu (Walden H. Leverich III) writes:
>Does anyone know if there is a way to tell 4.xBSD Unix to let certain
>priorty messages through? And how to encode the messages as being priorty.
>
>Perhaps even better, is there a way to allow only mesages from certain
>users to come through? The binary choice offered by mesg y/n just does
>not cut it.

Using distributed Berkeley software, there really isn't an easy
way to accomplish this.  We (the Purdue University Computer Center)
have come up with some local modifications to 4.3BSD that allow more
complicated talk(1) message filtering.  Here's a summary:

1.  We have a local mesg(1) command that allows you to, among other
	things, turn on "group" messages.  Before 4.3BSD and the "tty"
	group, this used to just turn on the group write permissions
	on `tty`.  Since this doesn't get along with the 4.3BSD, it
	now just turns on the group read bit on `tty`.

2.  Talkd recognizes the group message bit in the tty modes (the group
	read bit), which lets users in the same login group , talk to
	a given user (as long as the user is coming in from a
	"friendly" host).

3.  In addition to the "group" message facility in talk, we also
	support ".talkrc" file.  This file, in a user's home
	directory, contains regular expressions of users and groups
	that are allowed to talk to a user.  It looks something like:

		!annoying_user
		.*
		%%
		!annoying group
		.*

	which would allow everyone except annoying_user and people in
	annoying_group to talk to you.  %% is the separator between
	the list of users and the list of groups.  Since these are
	regular expressions you can set up just about anything you
	want...

If you have an interest in getting this software, send me mail... I
can probably gather this together into a distributable state.

--
Michael J. Spitzer		Purdue University Computing Center
mjs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu	pur-ee!mentor.cc.purdue.edu!mjs