[comp.unix.wizards] System 5 porting

carey@m.cs.uiuc.edu (04/12/89)

We have almost all bsd machines, and a few system 5 machines.
I have done some porting of software from the bsd systems to system 5.
But I have never really kept track of the problems I have run into.
If I had to tell some other programmer what the problems are, about
all I could say is "they ain't the same."

Does anyone have a short summary of basic differences?  Not all the
gory details, please, I am sure that could take up volumes.  Just
something that lists the system calls that are missing from system 5,
major differences in results of calls, differences in commands,
and so on.

I don't think I am the only one who would like to have such a list.

--John Carey
carey@cs.uiuc.edu
{uu-net,seismo,pur-ee,...}!uiucdcs!carey

scott@dtscp1.UUCP (Scott Barman) (04/14/89)

 In article <9100014@m.cs.uiuc.edu> carey@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
 >We have almost all bsd machines, and a few system 5 machines.
 >I have done some porting of software from the bsd systems to system 5.
 >But I have never really kept track of the problems I have run into.
 >If I had to tell some other programmer what the problems are, about
 >all I could say is "they ain't the same."
 >
 >Does anyone have a short summary of basic differences?  Not all the
 >gory details, please, I am sure that could take up volumes.  Just
 >something that lists the system calls that are missing from system 5,
 >major differences in results of calls, differences in commands,
 >and so on.
 >
 >I don't think I am the only one who would like to have such a list.

Instead of a list (which is lengthy) let me give you my source:

	"Portable C and Unix System Programming"
	by J.E. Lapin, Rabbit Software
	1987, Prentice-Hall	ISBN 0-13-686494-5

First, let me say the book is a little behind (i.e. it does not cover
System V Release 3 or much of the changes in 4.3bsd because of when
it was published).  But I bought it in 1987 (it was around $25 then)
because I was writting software that had to run under SunOS 3.4 and
a pre-divestature version of System V (I was a consultant at Bellcore).
It contains sections on portable coding practices, a "standard" at C
coding (this was pre-ANSI), and some other tidbits.  It also contains
many pages on the differences in programs, systems calls, functions,
etc.  What makes it nice is it covers everything from Version 7 to
4.1bsd to 4.2bsd to System V Release 2 and the different versions of
Xenix (up to 5.0).

The folks at Rabbit Software did a good job (J.E. Lapin is not a real
person.  "The name represents the many individuals at Rabbit...") and it
seems to be worth it for those who have to program under different
versions of Unix.

I hope that helps.

--
scott barman
{gatech, emory}!dtscp1!scott

ries@arcturus (Marc Ries) (04/15/89)

In article <9100014@m.cs.uiuc.edu>:
[...]
>Does  anyone  have  a short summary of basic differences?
>Not all the gory details, please, I am  sure  that  could
>take  up  volumes.   Just something that lists the system
>calls that are missing from system 5,  major  differences
>in results of calls, differences in commands, and so on.

>I  don't  think  I am the only one who would like to have
>such a list.

 Two  printed reference materials that are very good:

   White Paper:
      "UNIX  System  V  and  BSD4.2  Compatibility Study",
      Joseph Uniejewski, Apollo Computer Inc., March 1985.

   Magazine:
      "No  Longer  An  Outcast",  Jonathan Cohler, Digital
      Review, January 1985.

 There  is  also a book out but I don't remember the title
 (although "Portability" is part of it, I think).  Several
 UNIX and  C  programming  books  make  brief  mention  of
 differences  (like  Marc  Rochkind's  book "Advanced UNIX
 Programming").

     Marc Ries
           <somewhere>!ries

     "PHOTOVOLTAICS: safe/clean Electricity from the SUN"

domo@riddle.UUCP (Dominic Dunlop) (04/27/89)

In article <9100014@m.cs.uiuc.edu> carey@m.cs.uiuc.edu, whose name I have
lost, writes:
>I have done some porting of software from the bsd systems to system 5.
> ... [and I want references on what the differences might be] ...

As well as other references cited in this thread (Lapin etc.), you might
try getting a copy of  UNIX System V Release 4.0 Migration Reference
Guide -- Berkeley System  from AT&T.  They've been handing them out at
their System V, release 4 developer conferences, and they essentially list
the differences between BSD 4.3 and UNIX V.4.0 (when it arrives).  The copy
I have is obviosly preliminary, as it does not have the AT&T magic number
(select code) normally needed before AT&T understands what you're talking
about. But you might try anyway.  AT&T's number is (800) 432 6600 (or +44 1
567 7711 (Europe), or (317) 352 8556 (rest of world)).
--
Dominic Dunlop
The Standard Answer Ltd., using Sphinx' facilities (for which much thanks)

 >>I have done some porting of software from the bsd systems to system 5.
 >> ... [and I want references on what the differences might be] ...
 >
 >As well as other references cited in this thread (Lapin etc.), you might
 >try getting a copy of  UNIX System V Release 4.0 Migration Reference
 >Guide -- Berkeley System  from AT&T.

Note that this will describe the differences between BSD (4.3BSD,
probably) and S5R4 - which may not be quite as helpful if you're
interested in S5R3, say, since a lot of stuff that's in BSD and will be
in S5R4 isn't in vanilla S5R3 (symbolic links and job control, to give
two examples).