[comp.unix.wizards] EDT Emulators?

We've got a number of VMS users seduced into using unix, however they are
just pining away for lack of a familiar editor.  A year or two ago there
were a bunch of ads in Unix Review and the like for EDT under unix, but
these seem to have dissapeared.

Can anyone make some recommendations or provide warnings about such editors.
Transparency is important as these people will be working back and forth
between VMS and unix and something that is "almost" EDT will cause more pain
than I care to contemplate.

I've heard of EDT emulation in gnuemacs, however I'd prefer to avoid the
considerable overhead if there is an alternative that is just EDT and not
the whole world in one bite.  8-)

Either mail or postings here equally appreciated...

In article <6682@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:

>I've heard of EDT emulation in gnuemacs, however I'd prefer to avoid the
>considerable overhead if there is an alternative that is just EDT and not
>the whole world in one bite.  8-)

Pseudo-answer by way of a challenging question:

Anybody else believe it can be done with vi by setting the 'vs' entry
in the termcap to turn the keypad into application-mode, then putting
the proper map's in the .exrc to emulate EDT commands?

F'rinstance

	map OS Di

in the .exrc will, when the pf4 key (on a DEC keyboard, which is what
EDT-fans are used to) is depressed, use the ^[ in the code emitted by pf4
(to wit: ^[OS) to end-insert-mode, will then delete-to-end-of-line,
then will place one back into insert-mode.  Similar things can be done to
all the keypad keys, and the arrow keys, and even the 'gold' key can
be emulated by using double-long maps, like

	map OP^[OS pi

to implement undelete-last-delete-to-end-of-line.

It sounds like fun.  I haven't the foggiest how to emulate the highlighting
in select-regions, and I haven't the time to write the rest of it.  Heck,
I haven't the time to be reading this stuff...

				--Blair
				  "...but, my name is Blair,
				   and I'm a Newsaholic..."

P.S.  Don't forget to unsetenv EXINIT, or the right tree will go un-barked-up.

barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) (04/26/89)

In article <2675@buengc.BU.EDU>, bph@buengc (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>In article <6682@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>>
>>I've heard of EDT emulation in gnuemacs, however I'd prefer to avoid the
>>considerable overhead if there is an alternative that is just EDT and not
>>the whole world in one bite.  8-)
>
>Pseudo-answer by way of a challenging question:
>
>Anybody else believe it can be done with vi by setting the 'vs' entry
>in the termcap to turn the keypad into application-mode, then putting
>the proper map's in the .exrc to emulate EDT commands?

I have written some macros for vi that "sorta" emulate EDT.
It did not "select" text or handle the direction concept of EDT,
but it does provide a way for EDT users to learn vi.

I only have a hard copy of the macros so I won't post them
unless someone asks. I also haven't used them in 5 years.

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett@crdgw1.ge.com>  a.k.a. <barnett@[192.35.44.4]>
			uunet!steinmetz!barnett, <barnett@steinmetz.ge.com>

brister@td2cad.intel.com (James Brister) (04/28/89)

We have EDT+ from Boston Business Computing on our systems. It is very close
to the real EDT. (I doubt you'll find a 100% clone).  It adds in a few more
things (e.g. running shell commands; a learn mode). Our VMS users love it. The
phone number of BBC is (508) 683-7920.

Note: I have NO connection to BBC at all (and in fact I HATE EDT and use
GNU-EMACS all the time).

James
James Brister                 "Is the set of all respectable sets respectable?"
UUCP:	{amdcad,decwrl,hplabs,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel}!td2cad!brister
ARPA:	brister%td2cad.intel.com@relay.cs.net
CSNET:	brister@td2cad.intel.com                          VOICE: (408) 765-9713

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (05/03/89)

As quoted from <2675@buengc.BU.EDU> by bph@buengc.BU.EDU (Blair P. Houghton):
+---------------
| In article <6682@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
| >I've heard of EDT emulation in gnuemacs, however I'd prefer to avoid the
| >considerable overhead if there is an alternative that is just EDT and not
| >the whole world in one bite.  8-)
|
| Anybody else believe it can be done with vi by setting the 'vs' entry
| in the termcap to turn the keypad into application-mode, then putting
| the proper map's in the .exrc to emulate EDT commands?
|
| 	map OS Di
|
| in the .exrc will, when the pf4 key (on a DEC keyboard, which is what
| EDT-fans are used to) is depressed, use the ^[ in the code emitted by pf4
| (to wit: ^[OS) to end-insert-mode, will then delete-to-end-of-line,
| then will place one back into insert-mode.

Sure, but how long do you want to wait for vi to process non-gold-key
function key sequences?

I've tried this kind of stuff, and eventually return to Emacs for keybinding.
The frustration factor is too large for me.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu