a distributed Linda type facility for Users...

I would appreciate any comments...
Thanx in advance...
Martin H. Rusoff
Dept. of C.S.
Vanderbilt Univ.
also
(615)329-8908
#12, 2905 Burch Ave, Nashville TN, 37203
Usual disclaimers... I didn't hear anything, did you?

rec@dg.dg.com (Robert Cousins) (05/03/89)

In article <19403@adm.BRL.MIL> RUSOFFMH@ctrvx1.vanderbilt.edu writes:

>I have been looking into operating systems that might be suitable for
>implementation on a bunch of transputers that *do* have shared memory...
>It seems like the best choices might be a variation on MACH or
>perhaps V or maybe even AMOEBA, . . . .  I am looking for small and
>fast and modular... could anyone out there render an opinion... ?
>. . . .
>I would appreciate any comments...
>Thanx in advance...
>Martin H. Rusoff
>Dept. of C.S.
>Vanderbilt Univ.
>also
>(615)329-8908
>#12, 2905 Burch Ave, Nashville TN, 37203
>Usual disclaimers... I didn't hear anything, did you?

DG/UX is available for licensure and supports most if not all of the
hooks you need.  It is SysV.3 compliant, supports all of the BSD 4.3 calls
but the quota management calls.  Furthermore, it is multiprocessor designed
from scratch and includes approximately no AT&T or BSD code in the kernel.

It does support NFS and an industrial strength file system similar in
concept and performance to the FFS, but redesigned for much greater
dependability and generality along with support for commercial applications.

Currently, DG/UX runs on DG proprietary minicomputers and on the 88000
based products.  There are both single and multiprocessor products in
both lines.  The same version of the kernel is used for both single and
multiprocessors.

Last Feb, DG began to license DG/UX to other companies.  I don't personally
know how many people have taken DG up on the offer, but I do know that there
were a large number of inquiries immediately after that.  If you are
interested, just call your local DG office and they can set up the necessary
contacts.

Sorry for turning this into a commercial, but it seems like the
product you need.

Robert Cousins
Dept. Mgr, Workstation Dev't
Data General Corp

Speaking for myself alone.

mg@chorus.fr (Michel Gien) (05/10/89)

From article <19403@adm.BRL.MIL>, by RUSOFFMH@ctrvx1.vanderbilt.edu:

> I have been looking into operating systems that might be suitable for
> implementation on a bunch of transputers that *do* have shared memory...
> It seems like the best choices might be a variation on MACH or
> perhaps V or maybe even AMOEBA, even though SYSV compatibility migh
> be tough. I am looking for small and fast and modular... could anyone
> out there render an opinion... ?

You could look at the CHORUS Operating System. It is based on a
"minimal" kernel that provides real-time scheduling, network
(multi-processor) transparent IPC and "generic" virtual memory support
(optional if there is no MMU, as on current Transputers). An extended
(to real-time, multi-threads, and distribution) version of UNIX SYSTEM V
runs on top of that kernel, as a set of independent servers (Process
Manager, File Manager, Device Manager, Socket Manager, Network
Manager, Pipe Manager, etc...). Those can be transparently distributed
over the processors of a multiprocessor machine or a network.  The
UNIX interface can be made binary compatible with a "native" System V
implementation on a given processor.

Current implementations support AT/386 and 68020-30 based
configurations. There is interest for a port on Transputer based
hardware.

A "reference" paper on CHORUS entitled "CHORUS Distributed Operating
Systems" appeared in the Fall 1988 issue of the Computing Systems
Journal, Vol.1 No. 4, published jointly by the Usenix Association and
the University of California Press.

 _ _ _               _		Michel Gien
' ) ) )      /      //		Chorus systemes
 / / / o _. /_  _  //		6 avenue Gustave Eiffel
/ ' (_<_(__/ /_</_</_		F-78182, St-Quentin-en-Yvelines-Cedex

Tel: +33 (1) 30 57 00 22	Fax: +33 (1) 30 57 00 66
mg@chorus.fr (Internet)		{uunet}!mcvax!inria!chorus!mg (old uucp)