[comp.unix.wizards] /etc/issue

stailey@iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov (Ken Stailey) (05/17/89)

In section 4 of every Sys V manual I have seen there is a very short manual
page about the file "/etc/issue" and how it is printed as a login message by
getty.

Reproduced in part w.o./permission from AT&T:

"The file /etc/issue contains the _issue_ or project identifcation to be
 printed as a login prompt.  This is an ASCII file which is read by [the]
 program _getty_ and then written to any terminal spawned or respawed from
 the _lines_ file."

The trouble is it doesn't work as advertised, and there's no docs for the
mysterious "lines" file.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

							Ken

INET stailey@iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov
UUCP {sundc ames}!dftsrv!iris613!stailey

>In section 4 of every Sys V manual I have seen there is a very short manual
>page about the file "/etc/issue" and how it is printed as a login message by
>getty.

>The trouble is it doesn't work as advertised, and there's no docs for the
>mysterious "lines" file.

The manual is only an approximation of reality (sort of like the output
of "ps" :-)), and isn't always maintained perfectly.  This problem isn't
unique to AT&T; other suppliers (commercial or, ahem, academic) of UNIX
systems tend to have the same problem.

The problem is that in S5R3, at least, the code to print "/etc/issue" is
within an #ifdef, and the #ifdef isn't turned on by default.
Nevertheless, the man page is still there in the S5R3 documentation.

I suspect this feature dates back to an old internal-to-AT&T version of
UNIX; the "issue or project identification" stuff is probably some
internal-to-AT&T notion.  The "lines" file may have been the moral
equivalent of "/etc/ttys" or "/etc/inittab" in that version.

It might actually be a useful feature for some sites, so perhaps it
should be turned on by default; after all, it costs you little if you
*don't* want a pre-login-prompt banner - just don't have an "/etc/issue"
file.  The documentation should, of course, be brought up to date, with
no reference to the "lines" file, and no mention of an "issue or project
identification".

vause@cs-col.Columbia.NCR.COM (Sam Vause) (05/18/89)

In article <222@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> stailey@iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov (Ken Stailey) writes:
>In section 4 of every Sys V manual I have seen there is a very short manual
>page about the file "/etc/issue" and how it is printed as a login message by
>getty.
>
>Reproduced in part w.o./permission from AT&T:
>
>"The file /etc/issue contains the _issue_ or project identifcation to be
> printed as a login prompt.  This is an ASCII file which is read by [the]
> program _getty_ and then written to any terminal spawned or respawed from
> the _lines_ file."
>
>The trouble is it doesn't work as advertised, and there's no docs for the
>mysterious "lines" file.
>
>Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Well, you're right, in part.  The man page *IS* misleading to the casual or
unexperienced (read:  unsuffered!) UNIX user.  The mysterious "lines" file
is the /etc/inittab file.  The man page certainly could be better written...

BTW, the NCR TOWER doesn't have any problem with the advertised operation.
Perhaps there is a compile option to /etc/getty which precluded the display
of the /etc/issue contents...

|Sam Vause, NCR Corporation, Customer Services - TOWER Support	   |
|3325 Platt Springs Road, West Columbia, SC 29169 (803) 791-6953   |
|                                vause@cs-col.Columbia.NCR.COM     |
|			 ...!uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!cs-col!vause	   |
|		...!ucbvax!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!ncrcae!cs-col!vause      |

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (05/23/89)

As quoted from <222@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> by stailey@iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov (Ken Stailey):
+---------------
| "The file /etc/issue contains the _issue_ or project identifcation to be
|  printed as a login prompt.  This is an ASCII file which is read by [the]
|  program _getty_ and then written to any terminal spawned or respawed from
|  the _lines_ file."
|
| The trouble is it doesn't work as advertised, and there's no docs for the
| mysterious "lines" file.
+---------------

The so-called "lines" file should be shown as /etc/inittab.  It is in our
manuals.  I've used /etc/issue on many systems; it works fine.  Note,
however, that it is *not* a "login prompt" (who wrote that manual, anyway?);
it is a banner displayed BEFORE the login prompt:

	FooBar, Incorporated UNIX (foobar)

	login: _

The first two lines (yes, the blank line as well) come from /etc/issue; the
last line is from /etc/gettydefs.

If you're using SCO Xenix, all bets are off:  in its infinite wisdom, SCO
decided that inittab wasn't the way to go, and kept the old-fashioned init
and getty.  Unless you have a *very* recent version of SCO Xenix 386, you're
out of ck.
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu