[comp.unix.wizards] Is to safe to do shmat without shmget?

bengsig@oracle.nl (Bjorn Engsig) (05/17/89)

Is it safe to do the following (in all known Unix'es):

- Program 1 does a succesful create of a shared memory segment (shmget),
  attaches to it (shmat), saves the shm identifier (NOT the key) in a
  file, and the program stays alive.

- Program 2 reads the file, uses shmat only (NO shmget) to attach to
  the shared memory, and stays alive.

The real point is: Is it safe to attach to an existing shared memory (for
which you have the permission) using shmat with a known shmid, without
getting the shmid by a call to shmget?
--
Bjorn Engsig, ORACLE Europe         \ /    "Hofstadter's Law:  It always takes
Domain: bengsig@oracle.nl           / \     take into account Hofstadter's Law"

bengsig@oracle.nl (Bjorn Engsig) (05/24/89)

In article <331.nlhp3@oracle.nl> I wrote:

>The real point is: Is it safe to attach to an existing shared memory (for
>which you have the permission) using shmat with a known shmid, without
>getting the shmid by a call to shmget?

Thank you for all the replies.  This is a summary of them:

- All who have tried it, say it works in their case.

- A few who have kernel source access to AT&T SysV, say it does work.

- A single one reads (rather mails) SVID loudly for my, where it says
  "... *a* shared memory identifier ...", NOT specifying that it has to come
  from a shmget call.

- A singly reply tells me not to do it without really mentioning why, just
  that it is "dangerous".

- Nobody had examples where it did not work.

Anyway, thank you again.