[comp.unix.wizards] running out of inodes?

roy@sts.sts.UUCP (05/20/89)

How does one go about figuring how many inodes a filesystem has?  I've
looked around the man pages quite a bit and the only place I find any
reference to the number of inodes is in mkfs(8).  Our system is a
Sun3/280 running SunOS 4.0.x (where x > 1)

The reason I want to know is, every time I do a man command on a
command with a fair amount of documentation, I get "Word overflow." a
bunch of times and finally "Out of temp file space."  I managed,
through the quota system, to find out how many inodes are actually
being used.  It doesn't look like very much, but I don't know how many
inodes are available, so I can't assume.  I do know that there is
plenty of space available on the filesystem (4M free out of 7M total
on / and 20M free out of 143M total on /var, where /usr/tmp actually
resides), so I figure it must be a problem of running out of inodes.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?  By the way, just to convince
myself there really is enough space in /tmp, I re-directed the output
of an offending man command to a file on my workstation (where
everything is working OK) and transferred that output to /tmp and to
/var/tmp.  No problem, but ... of course we all know there is a
problem.  Thanks for reading my rambling and thanks even more if you
actually consider this problem!

Roy Bixler                   | UUCP: ...!{claris,sun}!sts!roy    |
Semiconductor Test Solutions | Internet: sts!roy@Claris.COM      |
4101 Burton Dr.              | phones: (408) 727-2885 x132 (work)|
Santa Clara, CA  95054	     |         (408) 289-1035      (home)|

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (05/20/89)

In article <68000001@sts> roy@sts.sts.UUCP writes:
>How does one go about figuring how many inodes a filesystem has?

On modern systems, simply run `df -i'.

>The reason I want to know is, every time I do a man command on a
>command with a fair amount of documentation, I get "Word overflow." a
>bunch of times and finally "Out of temp file space."

These messages come from n/troff.  `Out of temp file space' has
nothing to do with files; the `file space' in modern [nt]roffs is
in memory.  This memory region has a fixed size in many (if not all)
implementations.

roy@sts.sts.UUCP (05/23/89)

/* Written  5:53 pm  May 19, 1989 by roy@sts.sts.UUCP in sts:comp.unix.wizards */
/* ---------- "running out of inodes?" ---------- */
[...]

/* End of text from sts:comp.unix.wizards */

In case anyone wants to know, the problem did turn out to be an
n/troff problem.  When it said "out of temp file space", it meant
nroff's internal memory and not the filesystem.  The
/usr/lib/tmac/tmac.man file got changed somehow and that screwed up
one particular manual page.  So, the moral of the story is, know your
localisms (and, perhaps, look everywhere :-)

mhoffman@infocenter.UUCP (Mike Hoffman) (05/25/89)

in article <68000002@sts>, roy@sts.sts.UUCP says:
> How does one go about figuring how many inodes a filesystem has?
>                          .
>                          .
> In case anyone wants to know, the problem did turn out to be an
> n/troff problem.

If you've already found this out, I apologize for posting it; but
your article didn't indicate whether you'd actually found how to
get inode counts:

df(1)                                                       df(1)

NAME

     df - report number of free disk blocks

SYNTAX

     df [-i] [filesystem ...] [file ...]

OPTIONS

     -i      reports the number of used and free inodes.
                               .
                               .
                               .
MHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMHMH
Michael J. Hoffman                                    Voice: (407)255-8116
Manufacturing Engineering                               FAX: (407)255-8186
Encore Computer Corporation                           Email: mhoffman
                                                     USnail: 100 N. Babcock St.
UUCP: {uunet,codas!novavax,sun,pur-ee}!gould!mhoffman        Melbourne, Fl 32935
	"Curiouser and Curiouser" -- Alice