[comp.unix.wizards] man pages...

C463435@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Don Ingli) (05/26/89)

Where can I get a copy of the all man pages (text files)???

Are there public domain man pages???

Anyone have a UUCP phone I can dial up and get the pages???(legally??)
Or can someone send them to this account via bitnet???

Don...

john@polyof.UUCP ( John Buck ) (05/26/89)

In article <19761@adm.BRL.MIL>, C463435@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Don Ingli) writes:
> Where can I get a copy of the all man pages (text files)???
> Are there public domain man pages???

Manual pages are available from AT&T for about $10,000 (last time I checked).
No special rates for Universities or other educational facilities.  One
price for everyone.  You can call your AT&T licensing representative at
1-800-828-UNIX   (1-800-828-8649).

Manual pages are licensed, and you can't get them without a UNIX license
of some sort.  Check with your licensing rep.

jk@Apple.COM (John Kullmann) (05/31/89)

In article <467@polyof.UUCP> john@polyof.UUCP ( John Buck ) writes:
>Manual pages are available from AT&T for about $10,000 (last time I checked).
>No special rates for Universities or other educational facilities.  One
>price for everyone.  You can call your AT&T licensing representative at
>1-800-828-UNIX   (1-800-828-8649).

I once bought the above mentioned man pages from AT&T when I was at
a different company. The man pages we got were way way out of date,
we were never told this ahead of time, and no one at AT&T seemed to care
very much about it.

Be sure to find out what version of the man pages you will get before
you commit your $10,000.

--------------------   	    -------------------------------------
John Kullmann		    "The above fact and/or fiction is the personal
A/UX Eng Mgr		     opinion of John Kullmann and not Apple Computer.
jk@apple.com		     They won't even acknowledge my existence..."

hwt@bnr-public.uucp (Henry Troup) (06/01/89)

man pages should be available for lots less than $10,000 - a Sun
binary license would give them to you, for example.
utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!hwt%bnr-public | BNR is not 	| All that evil requires
hwt@bnr (BITNET/NETNORTH) 	     | responsible for 	| is that good men do
(613) 765-2337 (Voice)		     | my opinions	| nothing.

mbkennel@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Matthew B. Kennel) (06/01/89)

)
)Manual pages are available from AT&T for about $10,000 (last time I checked).
)No special rates for Universities or other educational facilities.  One
)price for everyone.  You can call your AT&T licensing representative at
)1-800-828-UNIX   (1-800-828-8649).
)
)Manual pages are licensed, and you can't get them without a UNIX license
)of some sort.  Check with your licensing rep.

No comment.

Followups set to rec.humor.

In article <535@bnr-fos.UUCP> hwt@bnr-public.UUCP (Henry Troup) writes:
> man pages should be available for lots less than $10,000 - a Sun
> binary license would give them to you, for example.

The $10K figure, is what you pay (in addition to source license stuff)
to obtain the sources for "machine readable documentation" from AT&T.
This includes the sources for both the man pages and various guides/manuals
such as the adminsistrators guide, streams primer and so on.

The usual pattern is to replace "unix" and "3bx" with whatever you're
calling unix and your machine, make local customizations and print your
reference manual set and also create "man pages".

Since man pages therefore "cost extra" and also require "nroff/troff"
to format for display, some vendors have chosen to unbundle them or
bundle them with their "text processing packages" which you have to buy
to get nroff/troff support.

Last I checked, they're current to SVr3.1.

williamt@athena1.Sun.COM (William A. Turnbow) (06/01/89)

In article <7033@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>Since man pages therefore "cost extra" and also require "nroff/troff"
>to format for display, some vendors have chosen to unbundle them or
>bundle them with their "text processing packages" which you have to buy
>to get nroff/troff support.
--------

Some vendors choose not to supply them at all -- specifically some
386 vendors.  Truely a loss in productivity and usefulness.  Imagine having
to dig out a manual every time you want to look something up and no
'man' command being available.  Ug.

-wat-

neubauer@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Paul Neubauer) (06/03/89)

In article <107589@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:
+Some vendors choose not to supply them at all -- specifically some
+386 vendors.  Truely a loss in productivity and usefulness.  Imagine having
+to dig out a manual every time you want to look something up and no
+'man' command being available.  Ug.

I am likely to be in the market for such a system in the near future (that
is, one WITH man pages).  I would appreciate knowing which vendors do and do
not supply them with 386 *nixes.  I imagine that I am not alone, so I doubt
that posting this information would do any harm (to net.readers, anyway,
possibly some harm to deserving vendors :-).  Thanks in advance.

--
Paul Neubauer         neubauer@bsu-cs.bsu.edu        neubauer@bsu-cs.UUCP
                      <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!neubauer