[comp.unix.wizards] Neat csh feature

ccel@community-chest.uucp (CCEL) (07/29/89)

One of the gurus showed me a neat csh thing that I thought i'd share
with the wizards out there if you haven't seen it already ....
If you set the environment variable filec (as in set filec), that
allows csh to do file completion, kind of like emacs does. If you're
typing in a file name, just type enough characters to make it unique
then hit <ESC> and the shell will finish it for you. For example,
say your directory looks like:
a	b	c	d	e	very_long_file_name
then just type
cat v<ESC>
and the shell will finish the file name for you, like:
cat very_long_file_name.

This works on our Suns, haven't tried it on any other systems yet.

--------------------------------------
Randy Tidd                   MITRE-McLean CCEL Lab
rtidd@mitre.arpa             ccel%community-chest@gateway.mitre.org

frank@zen.co.uk (Frank Wales) (08/01/89)

In article <62079@linus.UUCP> rtidd@mitre.arpa writes:
>One of the gurus showed me a neat csh thing that I thought i'd share
>with the wizards out there if you haven't seen it already ....
[stuff about file completion deleted]

This has been a feature in certain versions of csh for some years.
Under HP-UX, csh provides completion automatically, and also
offers a summary of possible completions if you type ctrl-d (it
doesn't seem to be affected by your choice of eof character).
This is similar to the ESC-ESC and ESC-= completion options in
ksh, and can be used as a way to have a quick look around directories
without the need to actually go there.
[follow-ups -> c.u.questions]
--
Frank Wales, Systems Manager,        [frank@zen.co.uk<->mcvax!zen.co.uk!frank]
Zengrange Ltd., Greenfield Rd., Leeds, ENGLAND, LS9 8DB. (+44) 532 489048 x217