[comp.unix.wizards] validating dumps

linda@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Linda Birmingham) (08/08/89)

I'm trying to validate dump tapes.

I liked someones idea of trying to restore the last file on the tape.

The question was...how do I know which is the last file.
The restore t gave me a list of inodes and it seemed that things were dumped
in inode order. Hurray ! Just restore the highest inode...unless
the highest inode refers to a directory. I do not want to restore the whole
damn file-system.

How can I find out if this inode refers to a directory or file on the dump
tape ?

Thanks,

Linda.
--
Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middlesex, England.
janet: linda@uk.ac.brunel.cc |  :-)

jeffrey@algor2.uu.net (Jeffrey Kegler) (08/12/89)

In article <794@Terra.cc.brunel.ac.uk> linda@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Linda Birmingham) writes:
>I'm trying to validate dump tapes.
>
>I liked someones idea of trying to restore the last file on the tape.

I have always simply reread the tape's table of contents.  Does anyone
have experience of this failing?  "Fail" is defined here as a
successful read of the table of contents where the tape's contents
were bad.
--

Jeffrey Kegler, Independent UNIX Consultant, Algorists, Inc.
jeffrey@algor2.ALGORISTS.COM or uunet!algor2!jeffrey

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) (08/13/89)

In article <1989Aug12.063242.544@algor2.uu.net> jeffrey@algor2.UUCP (Jeffrey Kegler) writes:
>I have always simply reread the tape's table of contents.  Does anyone
>have experience of this failing?  "Fail" is defined here as a
>successful read of the table of contents where the tape's contents
>were bad.

Yes, too many times to count.

In particular, I've gotten 'missing address/header block' errors from
dump [ restor ] quite often on tapes which tested quite okay.

I'd love to catagorically state this is a bug in dump, but I've never
bothered to track it down since cpio works ...
--
John F. Haugh II                        +-Quote of the month club: ------------
VoiceNet: (512) 832-8832   Data: -8835  | "Chocolate Teddy Grahams are just

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (ody) (08/15/89)

  At a minimum I would read the T/C and dd the whole dump to /dev/null
to be sure the tape can be read. The Xenix restore has a C option which
checks the tape byte for byte against the filesystem. Slow, but faster
than recreating several MB of lost data.
	bill davidsen		(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen

bob@wyse.wyse.com (Bob McGowen Wyse Technology Training) (08/15/89)

In article <1989Aug12.063242.544@algor2.uu.net> jeffrey@algor2.UUCP (Jeffrey Kegler) writes:
>In article <794@Terra.cc.brunel.ac.uk> linda@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Linda Birmingham) writes:
>>I'm trying to validate dump tapes.
>>
>>I liked someones idea of trying to restore the last file on the tape.
>>

>I have always simply reread the tape's table of contents.  Does anyone
---deleted---

dump under XENIX (also backup -- hard linked names) puts the table of
contents first on the tape, followed by the files.  This means that if I
read only the table of contents with dumpdir, I do NOT test the integrity
of the actual files on the rest of the tape.  I do not know if this
"feature" is the same on all systems?

I have used dd to read the entire tape to be sure it is at least readable
but this does nothing in terms of checking the logical structure created
by the dump.  Restoring the last file on the tape will certainly prove
that it is good and may possibly validate the rest of the tape since
restore has to find the file, which it would presumably do by reading
the tape.

Perhaps there is some way to generate a checksum on the disk to compare
with a checksum from the tape?

Bob McGowan  (standard disclaimer, these are my own ...)
Customer Education, Wyse Technology, San Jose, CA
..!uunet!wyse!bob
bob@wyse.com

richl@penguin.USS.TEK.COM (Rick Lindsley) (08/22/89)

In article <794@Terra.cc.brunel.ac.uk> linda@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Linda Birmingham) writes:
    I'm trying to validate dump tapes.

    I liked someones idea of trying to restore the last file on the tape.

    The question was...how do I know which is the last file.

restore tv will print out things like

    dir		2	.
    dir		1536	./etc
    leaf	1630	./etc/dumpdates

A "dir" is obvious; a "leaf" is really just "not-dir".  A simple awk
script will then help you here:

    restore tv | awk '$1 == "leaf" {if (ino < $2) file = $3;} END {print file}'

This fails if that last filename has white space in it.

Rick