[comp.unix.wizards] curses

geller@eli.UUCP (02/11/87)

Problem:

	I have found curses to be unaware of special character
	attributes that cause several characters to occupy one
	physical space on the screen (i.e. a line drawing char-
	acter).

Question:

	Is there a public domain version of curses available
	and has this problem been addressed prior to my posting
	this message.

Thanks,

David Geller
Electric Logic, Inc.
Washington, D.C.

mlm@ei.ecn.purdue.edu (Michael L. McLean) (01/23/88)

Does anyone out there have a patch to 4.3BSD curses to allow it to
work with `magic cookie' terminals ??

Thanks in Advance
Mike McLean
mlm@ecn.purdue.edu
{ihnp4,inuxc}!pur-ee!mlm

pmorris@swan.ulowell.ed (Peter Morris Ext. 312) (08/02/88)

Has anyone implemented a data entry form manager or a screen editor on
top of the Curses package ??

Any information or leads would be appreciated.

Please respond to ulowell!andover!raha (UUCP).

Thanks.

Sainah Rahardja

(posted by Peter Morris for Sainah)

val@wsccs.UUCP (Val Kartchner) (12/23/88)

     Does anyone know a good reference for writing screen management
     packages?  I've looked at the description for "Advanded C Programming
     for Displays" (as advertized in the back of the second edition of K&R),
     but it's description is ambiguous.  Any help would be appreciated.

			Thanks in advance,
				-=:[ VAL ]:=-
--
----  /\  ----------------------------------------------------------------
     /\/\  .    /\     |  Val Kartchner  {UT@WSC}  |  'vi' must go, this

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (01/09/89)

In article <6896@june.cs.washington.edu> ka@june.cs.washington.edu (Kenneth Almquist) writes:
>Well, my memory is pretty fuzzy here, but I was under the impression that
>AT&T had nothing to do with the original development of the terminfo version
>of curses, although Mark Horton did a lot of work on it after AT&T picked
>up the code.  I recall that the code was copyrighted by Pavel Curtis (or
>some such person), and if it had been developed by AT&T then AT&T or Bell
>Labs would be the owner of the copyright.  Anyone know for sure?

Yes, I was peripherally involved with this.  The original termcap-based
curses was developed at Berkeley, and when Mark Horton took a job with
Bell Labs, he developed terminfo as an improved version of termcap, and
adapted curses to work with terminfo.  The current UNIX System V curses
evolved from that, and has been substantially reworked by several people.

Pavel Curtis, desiring to provide terminfo without AT&T licensing,
developed an independent implementation, working just from the specs.
Neither AT&T's nor Pavel's versions are based on the other's code.

jdinkins@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (nobody) (08/18/89)

   I have been having some problems with curses.
I was writing a program that uses curses and porting it over to SUN
workstations and have been having problems with xterm windows of changed
size. (window size was changed both before and after program was run)

I have used ioctl() to get the new size and caught the appropriate
signals and my program works fine except that curses doesn't seem to know
about the changed size and doesn't allow me to print outside the original
size of the window found in /etc/termcap

  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

--
\\         ___/~~O~~\___         //             snikniD "iknid" ffeJ
  ====____/   \.. ../   \____====               EDU.yloPlaC.olsylop@sniknidj

richard@aeras.UUCP (Richard Karasik) (08/31/89)

We have been having some problems with curses, and ar looking for a way
out. Maybe some Ultrix guru can jump in here with answers.

We have found that Ultrix in its sys V compatibility mode still has
curses do ioctl calls to sgtty structures. We would have expected
it to talk to termio structures.  At any rate if curses does the call
it somehow maybe makes it which means that there is some underlying
finagling going on below curses -perhapsin ioctl.

HOWEVER when we do ioctl calls to the termio structure - it blows,
becuase somehow it still thinks its talking to an sgtty .
Ie curses seems to know whats happening ioctl doesnt.!!!!

Has anyone run into this situation, and if so how can we still do
pinpoint control without using all of curses in ULTRIX.
Thanks

Please respond directly to ...sun!kass!richard  my news link is
unreliable at best.
Richard Karasik
Saratoga Information Systems
voice 408 741 1106
FAX 408 867 0817

--
 sun!arete!bud!richard      ||"No, I said the BITS .. massage the BITS"