[comp.unix.wizards] Workstation pricing, Sun vs. ISA

jeffrey@algor2.algorists.com (Jeffrey Kegler) (08/31/89)

As you were warned, here is a comparison of Sun and ISA pricing.
There are, necessarily, all sorts of qualifications on these number
which make a direct dollar to dollar comparison difficult, and some of
these are given after the numbers.

Basic Setup, Sun

Sun386i/150 RR150M-8-P11                           $15,490
8Mbytes, 327 Mbtye disk, 1.44 Mbyte 3.5" diskette,
documentation, UNIX, 20MHz 80386, 20MHz 80387,
19" monochrome monitor (1152x900)

Basic Setup, ISA

AST 386/C (20 MHz), 1MByte memory, 5.25" floppy      2,700
4MByte memory                                        1,600
4MByte memory                                          780
CDC Wren V hard disk, 383.3 Mbytes unformatted       2,300
DPT caching controller w/ .5 Mbyte memory              850
2Mbytes additional memory for DPT controller           850
Bell Tech (now Intel) System V, Release 3.2, w/
documentation                                          395
TCP/IP                                                 245
X Windows                                                0
20 MHz 80387                                           475
Monochrome monitor (see notes)                          95
Card for above                                          65
Bell Tech Instant Workstation board (IWS), Ethernet
port, BLIT controller                                1,495
BLIT Monitor 19" (1660x1200)                         1,295
Logitech mouse                                         100

Total                                               13,245

Add-ons, Sun vs ISA

Additional serial ports
ISA (ACE 8 port serial board)                          495
Sun, not available?

60M cartridge tape drive
ISA                                                    795
Sun (expansion chassis with tape drive)               1800

2nd 5.25" floppy drive
ISA                                                    150
Sun, not available?

Notes:

1) The 60M cartridge tape drive for a single workstation installation
is not really an option.  To quote Sun's price list: "At least one
tape driver per network is recommended (for disk backup)".

2) The ISA basic setup pricing includes a cheap monochrome monitor
with card, because the machine will not boot without it.  (Score one
for Sun).

3) Using the 386i may not be the fairest thing to Sun (though they
seem to be asking for it).  As I understand it, the 386i will not boot
DOS, and so one wonders why bother with an 80386?  A major advantage
of the ISA architecture is a ready resale market to power hungry DOS
users, so that the 386i seems to offer all the many disadvantages of
using a 386 with none of the advantages.  If you are getting a Sun,
you might as well get a nice 68000 or SPARC based box.

4) The BLIT monitor has about 2 megapixels, as opposed to one for the
Sun.

5) The ISA setup has its price substantially increased by inclusion of
a DPT caching controller.  comp.unix.i386 is currently singing the
praises of this beast, which gives an average seek time of about .5ms
(yes that was half a millisecond), offloads much of the caching
overhead from the CPU and has other nice features.  I suspect for
typical UNIX disk bound applications, this makes the ISA setup much
faster than the Sun.

6) ISA prices are street prices, that is, prices actually paid for the
stuff by me.  Sun prices are from the April 1 catalog.  Large
discounts from the Sun prices are reportedly available, even for
single purchases, while I doubt the ISA prices quoted can be much
improved upon.

6) The observant will note two very different prices for the 4 Mbyte
upgrades to the ISA machine.  They were bought a few months apart and
that accounts for the difference.  It is interesting to note that the
April 1 Sun price for 4Mbytes is $2000.  Has this gone down since
April 1?

7) I believe I could get a second disk drive (380Mbyte) for $2300.
The Sun price for an additional 327Mbyte disk is $5500.  Both prices
exclude whatever expansion units are needed.
--

Jeffrey Kegler, Independent UNIX Consultant, Algorists, Inc.
jeffrey@algor2.ALGORISTS.COM or uunet!algor2!jeffrey

lwake@pitstop.West.Sun.COM (Larry Wake) (08/31/89)

In article <1989Aug30.204441.3294@algor2.algorists.com> jeffrey@algor2.UUCP
(Jeffrey Kegler) attempts to compare apples... er, attempts to price
compare a Sun 386i vs. a generic 386 box.

First off, as Mr. Kegler himself states, using the 386i as a comparision
box for a UNIX-only environment is less than fair.  He asks:

>As I understand it, the 386i will not boot
>DOS, and so one wonders why bother with an 80386?

It won't boot DOS as its native-mode operating system (using the term
loosely), but it will boot DOS under UNIX and run DOS applications
(lots of them, at the same time) without the overhead of emulating an
Intel CPU on a foreign architecture.  If you don't need this, you
probably shouldn't get a 386i.  If you do need it, you should add the
cost of a DOS/UNIX environment to your generic system's price list.  It
should be fully integrated with your windowing system (X, in the system
you outlined), to be fairly compared to the 386i.

>A major advantage
>of the ISA architecture is a ready resale market to power hungry DOS
>users

Yes, but what are they going to do with the other stuff you bought,
that doesn't really work too well under DOS?  The resale value of a Sun
should not be underestimated -- that is, if you sell it to someone who
wants a Sun, and not just a fast DOS box.  If they want a DOS box, with
none of the "Sun-ness" the 386i offers, then yes, a used boxhouse '386
would be a better deal.  But they probably don't want to buy all that
other stuff.

>If you are getting a Sun,
>you might as well get a nice 68000 or SPARC based box.

So, why did you... never mind.

The bottom line here is yes, with a little effort you can put together
a '386 system that has most of the same bits as a Sun, and it'll come
out a little cheaper.  Even in your comparision, which by your
admission chose a slightly more expensive Sun with no effort to
mitigate the price, against a system that I would imagine took a bit of
shopping around to assemble (by either you or the integrator who is
packaging it), the difference is not tremendous.  And...

Not knowing the details of the UNIX that is packaged with it, I don't
know if these are included, but I didn't see mention of NFS/ONC
support, DOS Windows, a window-based source-level debugger, and a few
other things that are bundled with the Sun; adding these to your list
would bring the two prices yet closer.  You can also get X for free for
the Sun, *or* you can choose to use SunView, which although it isn't X,
is a rather nice windowing system that a lot of people prefer to use.
The choice is there.  In future releases of the operating system, X11,
NeWS, and a SunView-compatible interface will be provided as an
integrated package.  This is of significant value, at least to me.

You'd also still be missing (uh oh, here it comes...) Sun.  We may not
be perfect, but we're here...rather than buying off-the-shelf pieces,
you're buying a system that was designed from the bottom up to work as a
unit.  When you buy off-the-shelf application software for a Sun, you
know (ideally -- see below) you won't have to worry if it will work with
*this* display, *that* mouse, or *the other* memory board.

Yes, there are still going to be problems with a product line as
diverse as Sun, but these are problems that *our* staff has to work to
solve, rather than yours.  I'm not bringing this up to say how great
Sun is, or to set people up to ask "then why doesn't Frobozz Version
2.1 work on a GX board yet?", but to point out that there is a
significant piece of added value that comes with every Sun that you may
not think about when you're comparing systems.  Remember when I said
"off-the-shelf software" up there?  How much "plug 'n' play" software
is there for a generic '386 UNIX box?  Sun's Catalyst program offers
hundreds, if not thousands, of applications by now, not to mention the
large amount of Sun-specific freeware available off the net.  We also
provide support for third-party developers to guarantee that new
software continues to appear in the future.

The intent of your entries, although muted a bit as you've gone along,
seems to have started as a complaint that Sun is ripping people off by
charging "so much more" for systems, as compared to what Joe's Garage
Boxhouse and Camera Shop charges.  I don't believe that's true (else I
wouldn't have come to work for Sun).  The truth is closer to:

    If you want a generic box, and are willing to cope with the rough
    edges of a pieces-parts system and the lack of off-the-shelf
    software or company support, it's the right move for you.

    If you'd prefer to spend a little more money, and buy an integrated
    system with a lot more performance, a lot more expandability, and an
    upgrade path other than "sell it and buy another," take a look at
    Sun.

I don't expect this will sway you too much, as your intent seems to be
to prove that yes, a comparable machine can be bought for a lower
price, but I think if you take a look, you'll see the price
differential is not that great, and may in fact be non-existent,
especially if you had chosen a Sparc 1 as a comparison machine rather
than the 386i.  I also think you've already seen that the difference is
certainly nowhere near what you had originally thought it would be,
even ignoring the points I've raised above.  (You've also seen that our
price list isn't really secret, that there is a *lot* of third party
hardware available, and that Suns do have a resale market and an
upgrade path.  I'll also mention that we *do* offer a highres
[1600x1280] monochrome screen, and that from one of our third party
vendors you can even get a four megapixel 28" diagonal color screen
that's fully compatible with our standard graphics libraries -- that
is, all correctly written applications will work on it with no
modification.)

Larry Wake
The Proverbial Biased Onlooker
Speaking about, but not for, Sun.

mproicou@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Michael C. Proicou) (08/31/89)

In article <1989Aug30.204441.3294@algor2.algorists.com> jeffrey@algor2.UUCP (Jeffrey Kegler) writes:
>As you were warned, here is a comparison of Sun and ISA pricing.
Sun stuff deleted.

>AST 386/C (20 MHz), 1MByte memory, 5.25" floppy      2,700
>4MByte memory                                        1,600
>4MByte memory                                          780
>CDC Wren V hard disk, 383.3 Mbytes unformatted       2,300
>DPT caching controller w/ .5 Mbyte memory              850
>2Mbytes additional memory for DPT controller           850
>Bell Tech (now Intel) System V, Release 3.2, w/
>documentation                                          395
                                                        ^^^

Is this really the price for System V Unix?????  I was under the
impression that Unix was still > $1000 even without the troff
stuff.

If this price is really available, then I can actually afford a
386 box to replace my 3B1 with! Yippee!
--
Mike Proicou
mproicou@galaxy.afit.af.mil	<- Preferred(?) Form

brian@apt.UUCP (Brian Litzinger) (09/01/89)

From article <836@pitstop.West.Sun.COM>, by lwake@pitstop.West.Sun.COM (Larry Wake):
> In article <1989Aug30.204441.3294@algor2.algorists.com> jeffrey@algor2.UUCP
> (Jeffrey Kegler) attempts to compare apples... er, attempts to price
> compare a Sun 386i vs. a generic 386 box.
>
> First off, as Mr. Kegler himself states, using the 386i as a comparision
> box for a UNIX-only environment is less than fair.  He asks:

I don't know whether or not the following comparision is fair, but
we primarily sell to the goverment, and we go through a bid process
where we bid against other vendors.  Regularly we find among our
competition SUN, HP, DEC, and "generic 386 box[es]".  Our systems would
probably also be called "generic 386 box[es]" by Mr. Wake.

Well, we have won just about all the bids we bid on.  Usually we win
because of such issues as price, support, open architecture.

[ I personally don't believe that SUN, HP, or DEC have anything remotely ]
[ related to an open architecture.                                       ]

A system of ours similar to the one described by Mr. Kegler's original
article would be about $2000 cheaper than the ISA , eventhough our slowest
machines are 25Mhz and the displays are 16" 1024x768 non-interlaced color.

<>  Brian Litzinger @ APT Technology Inc., San Jose, CA
<>  UUCP:  {apple,sun,pyramid}!daver!apt!brian    brian@apt.UUCP
<>  VOICE: 408 370 9077      FAX: 408 370 9291

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/01/89)

In article <1320@blackbird.afit.af.mil> mproicou@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Michael C. Proicou) writes:
>>Bell Tech (now Intel) System V, Release 3.2, w/
>>documentation                                          395
>                                                        ^^^
>Is this really the price for System V Unix?????  I was under the
>impression that Unix was still > $1000 even without the troff
>stuff.

We have to pay AT&T $180 for a many-user UNIX SVR3.0 binary sublicense;
I think SVR3.2 has the same AT&T sublicense pricing.  DWB (troff etc.)
costs a miniscule amount extra.  With documentation, and possibly some
degree of vendor support, $395 is a fair retail price.

jeffrey@algor2.algorists.com (Jeffrey Kegler) (09/01/89)

In article <836@pitstop.West.Sun.COM> lwake@sun.com (Larry Wake) writes:

>First off, as Mr. Kegler himself states, using the 386i as a comparision
>box for a UNIX-only environment is less than fair.

Call me Jeffrey.  Anyway, if you don't want it compared with 80386 boxes
why do you ship the 386i?  Because the architecture is so much more wonderful
than SPARC? :-)

> [ On resale, what is a DOS using buyer ] going to do with the other
> stuff you bought, that doesn't really work too well under DOS?

The other stuff all works under DOS--in fact that how the diagnostics
run.  The only item not built with DOS primarily in mind is the BLIT
monitor.  The DPT controller, cartidge tape, mouse, etc. were all made
for the very aggressive DOS market.  You got crazy dudes out there
running DOS on all sorts of major metal.

>Even in your comparision, which by your admission chose a slightly
>more expensive Sun with no effort to mitigate the price, against a
>system that I would imagine took a bit of shopping around to assemble
>(by either you or the integrator who is packaging it), the difference
>is not tremendous.

"My admission"?  Am I on trial because I look at prices?  This is what
it is like on the street.  My clients sure shop around and when I
whine about it, they just laugh.  Welcome to the NFL.  Don't forget
your helmet.

The "difference is not tremendous" because it is not a concocted
example.  I just report the facts.  The Sun box was picked because it
is the most obvious comparison to the one I own.  The prices for Sun
were picked out of this book I found.  It had "Sun Price List" on the
cover.  If these prices are such an injustice to Sun, why do they
print the book?  Sun either has a meaningful printed price list or it
doesn't.  Nobody in this argument is entitled to more than one set of
facts.

In comparison with the quality differences, the price difference is in
fact not only "not tremendous", but insignificant.

>You'd also still be missing (uh oh, here it comes...) Sun.  We may
>not be perfect, but we're here...rather than buying off-the-shelf
>pieces, you're buying a system that was designed from the bottom up
>to work as a unit.

Sun is a high quality outfit.  Why do you think I picked them for the
comparison?  I could have done the comparison with some other vendors
who are not as good, but what would that prove?

>The intent of your entries, although muted a bit ...

I mellow as I age :-).  My "intent" is to get the best
price/performance I can.  You got a problem with that, you got a
problem with a lot of other dudes.  I have no stake in any of the
vendors and you work for one of them.  I don't try to guess or
question your intentions and you would be well advised to leave the
subject entirely alone.  Working for one of the parties involved
simply makes you a more informed participant, as far as I am
concerned.

I did not find that my price comparison conclusively supported either
side.  So if I concocted it, I sure did a lousy job of it.

--

jay@silence.princeton.nj.us (Jay Plett) (09/01/89)

In article <1989Sep1.014205.12901@algor2.algorists.com>, jeffrey@algor2.algorists.com (Jeffrey Kegler) writes:
> In article <836@pitstop.West.Sun.COM> lwake@sun.com (Larry Wake) writes:
>
> >Even in your comparision, which by your admission chose a slightly
> >more expensive Sun with no effort to mitigate the price, against a
> >system that I would imagine took a bit of shopping around to assemble
> >(by either you or the integrator who is packaging it), the difference
> >is not tremendous.
>
> "My admission"?  Am I on trial because I look at prices?  This is what
> it is like on the street.  My clients sure shop around and when I

But if you're going to shop (a/k/a mitigate), don't stop till you've
done both sides of the street.

The 327MB disk in a 386i is a CDC Wren IV, no more, no less.  I haven't
priced a Wren IV this month, but the 2300 you paid for your V sounds
like a reasonable number.  So, let's cut the disk out of Sun's deal and
go shopping:
	RR150M-8			$ 10,490
	Wren IV				   2,300
	Total				$ 12,790

For the add-ons you mentioned at the bottom of your original article,
don't forget that the same boards can be plugged into the 386i's
XT/AT bus.  As to the added disk, most any SCSI ought to do.  You can
get a 700MB Wren V in a shoebox with power supply for $3000 or less.

Your needs are probably different from mine.  That's fine.  From my
viewpoint, the Sun's value looks compelling.  If you don't have a
good reason for needing an 80386, then run your comparison with a
SPARCstation on the Sun side.  It'll look better.

> whine about it, they just laugh.  Welcome to the NFL.  Don't forget
> your helmet.
OK.

	Jay Plett
	jay@princeton.edu

Kemp@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (09/01/89)

Jeffrey Kegler writes:
 > As you were warned, here is a comparison of Sun and ISA pricing.

Yes, but why did you bother.  If you are going to use Sun's price list,
it's only fair to use Big Blue's price list in the comparison.  As you
pointed out, the ISA prices you quoted are street prices, but you didn't
quote street prices for the Sun system.  Sun's list prices, discounted
or not, are irrelevant.

 > 4 MB memory                                      1,600
 > 4 MB memory                                        780
 > CDC Wren V hard disk, 383.3 MB unformatted       2,300

With the Sun system, the CDC Wren V is 702 MB unformatted because the
Sun has a SCSI interface built in.  We paid $3050 for ours, and I got a
later quote for $2550.  As for memory, "parts is parts".  I just got a
quote today, from a Sun vendor, for $145/MB, or $580 for 4MB.

 > If you are getting a Sun, you might as well get a nice 68000 or
 > SPARC box.

Agreed, at least with the SPARC part.  I would be willing to bet that
five years from now, a SPARCStation will be worth a greater percentage
of its purchase price than will the ISA setup you described.

  Dave Kemp <Kemp@dockmaster.ncsc.mil>

Well, I have an opportunity to directly compare a recent distribution of
SunOS against System V/386. I must admit to being underwhelmed with the
system administration support on the Suns. It was extremely difficult to
get TCP/IP configured on the Sun... requiring the assistance of a local
workstation guru... despite having sucessfully installed as well as
configured it on DOS, Xenix (System III), and System V. The system
administration setup in general appears to be the result of throwing features
at the old Version 7 design until it came up to spec. For V.3.2, at least,
the system administration and configuration setup is amazingly clean and
simple to work with. After my experiences with Version 7 and System III it
was like waking from a nightmare.

Not that there's anything horribly wrong with Version 7... it sure beats
what you have to do for a moderately complex DOS setup... but it's about
time this sort of stuff was at least slightly cleaned up, eh?
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'

lwake@pitstop.West.Sun.COM (Larry Wake) (09/02/89)

In article <1989Sep1.014205.12901@algor2.algorists.com> jeffrey@algor2.UUCP
(Jeffrey Kegler) responds to my pro-Sun screed, but first stops to request:

>Call me Jeffrey.

Can I call you Tim?

>why do you ship the 386i?  Because the architecture is so much more wonderful
>than SPARC? :-)

As I said before, because DOS applications are written for the Intel
architecture, and as such, tend to run faster on an Intel chip.  A lot
of our customers want to run DOS applications fast, so we give them what
they want.  We're a customer-driven kind of company.

>"My admission"?  Am I on trial because I look at prices?

Well, you seemed to be putting Sun on trial for its prices, so I rashly
went out on a limb to point out that we return reasonable value for
what we charge.  Sorry.  I didn't think you'd take offense at a response
to your posting; this sort of thing happens all the time here.  Welcome
to Usenet.  Be sure to wear your helmet.  :-)

>The prices for Sun
>were picked out of this book I found.  It had "Sun Price List" on the
>cover.  If these prices are such an injustice to Sun, why do they
>print the book?

That's not what I said; in fact, I said that our prices are fair.  What
I tried to say was that the *comparison* was not as fair as it might've
been, as value included in the Sun price was not matched in the generic
system you listed.  If this wasn't clear, I apologize.

Take two on what I was trying to say: buying a generic system *can* save
you money.  Not a whole lot, which I guess is what your entry
was really saying.  My point, and I'm sorry if you found it
uncalled-for, was that you do get something for the money you spend on a
Sun.

>My "intent" is to get the best
>price/performance I can.  You got a problem with that, you got a
>problem with a lot of other dudes.

No problem here with that; it's what Sun tries to provide.

>I don't try to guess or
>question your intentions and you would be well advised to leave the
>subject entirely alone.  Working for one of the parties involved
>simply makes you a more informed participant, as far as I am
>concerned.

Hmm, not sure what you're trying to say here.  First sentence seems to say
"butt out..." second one seems to say "...even though you might have
something valid to contribute."

Anyway, I'll end my part of this particular thread here, especially
since it isn't a particularly c.u.w kind o' topic anyway.  Sorry if I'm
coming off as a sales dweeb, which I'm not; it's just that I liked the
company enough to finally come to work for it, and I felt it was being
slammed due to misinformation, albeit unintentional misinformation.

wyle@inf.ethz.ch (Mitchell Wyle) (09/02/89)

>But if you're going to shop (a/k/a mitigate), don't stop till you've
>done both sides of the street.

I was under the impression that a previous thread, which lead to this
one, established that distribution channels were more important than
price or performance.

I am very surprized that Sun does so *well* in price compared to the
generic DOS nachfolgers.  A Sun workstation comes with Sun-OS.  You
can't buy Sun-OS at any price for your DOS machine.  The qualitative
difference between Sun-OS and the other "nixes on intel iron is worth a
lot of money.

How many boxes does Compaq chip per year?  Sun?  When you buy your DOS
motor, you get it the same week.  You can wait a long time for your
Sun.  Sun exists because their boxes are faster, the software quality
is better, and of course, religion.

>Your needs are probably different from mine.  That's fine.  From my
>viewpoint, the Sun's value looks compelling.  If you don't have a
>good reason for needing an 80386, then run your comparison with a
>SPARCstation on the Sun side.  It'll look better.

MTBF is another big issue which you are all ignoring.  Bechtolsheim
stressed the fact that SPARCstations will probably fail less often
because of the way they're built.  They're also much easier to tinker
around with because robots have to assemble them, and humans are still
better manipulators.

>> whine about it, they just laugh.  Welcome to the NFL.  Don't forget
>> your helmet.
>OK.

There are too many more important issues (religion probably leads the
list) which you are not considering.  MTBF, quality of service (hw, sw),
software available, expandability, etc.

>	jay@princeton.edu

This discussion is enlightened, well-written, enjoyable, and filled with
interesting facts about street prices and experience.  Please continue.
I, for one, am learning a lot.

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (09/03/89)

In article <1452@ethz-inf.UUCP> wyle@ethz.UUCP (Mitchell Wyle) writes:
: I am very surprized that Sun does so *well* in price compared to the
: generic DOS nachfolgers.  A Sun workstation comes with Sun-OS.  You
: can't buy Sun-OS at any price for your DOS machine.

Rumor says that there is someone porting SunOS to a generic '386
platform.

We can hope.

---
bill@twwells.com