[net.music] Tangerine Dream on CD

danb@tesla.UUCP (Dan Blumenthal) (09/19/85)

Tangerine Dream is finally on CD!! Unfortunately, just a few
months ago, most of heir albums werewere on cut-out
and I bought them. However, for those who didn't,
this would seem an excellent group for that medium.
The albums I saw out included Exit, Poland (possibly
missing a track since it was only a single CD), Ricochet,
and I think Cyclone. Anybody have any of these and would
like to commen on the quality?

dan

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev x258) (10/01/85)

> The albums I saw out included Exit, Poland (possibly
> missing a track since it was only a single CD), Ricochet,
> and I think Cyclone. Anybody have any of these and would
> like to commen on the quality?
>
> dan

... Rubicon (?), Stratosfear, (bunch of others, I'll post the list of what I
have tomorrow(????)).

Quality: All of their CDs I have are AAD ( analog recording,analog mix,
digital mastering). Quality is only OK. Quiet, but with slight tape hiss.
Dynamic range is nowhere near what you might expect ( refer to "Zoolook")
for really GOOD dynamic range)

As far as durability and convenience go, if you can get a CD for $11.99
or an LP for $7.99 ( or $8.99) I'd opt for CD. Only "direct - to - disk"
LP pressings can rival a well engineered CD.

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (10/02/85)

In article <603@tesla.UUCP> danb@tesla.UUCP (Dan Blumenthal) writes:
>Tangerine Dream is finally on CD!!
>The albums I saw out included Exit, Poland (possibly
>missing a track since it was only a single CD), Ricochet,
>and I think Cyclone.

There is no reason (as far as I know) why a full double album can't be put
on a single CD. My understanding is that the full capacity of a CD (one sided)
is 4 or 5 hours. That's considering, of course, that it is used to absolute
full capacity. So the POLAND album on CD is probably complete, even though it
is only a on a single disc.

				      Barth Richards
				      Tellabs, Inc.
				      Lisle, IL

@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA:Lippard.Multics@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA (10/04/85)

From: "James J. Lippard" <Lippard@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA>
The Poland CD is NOT complete.  It says on the disc "Excerpts from
Poland live", and it contains three tracks, while I believe the LPs
contain 6 tracks.

   Jim Lippard (Lippard at MIT-MULTICS.ARPA)

samson@h-sc1.UUCP (gregory samson) (10/04/85)

In article <603@tellab1.UUCP> barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) writes:

>There is no reason (as far as I know) why a full double album can't be put
>on a single CD. My understanding is that the full capacity of a CD (one sided)
>is 4 or 5 hours. That's considering, of course, that it is used to absolute
>full capacity...

It was my understanding that the current CD encoding scheme allowed a maximum
of 74 minutes of music to be encoded on a single disc.  For example, this would
be why The Wall's 2 CDs exactly match the album as far as song order goes,
because it would be silly to pack 74 minutes worth of songs on one of the discs
and leave ~10 minutes for the other.

In terms of TD stuff, however, I don't see why they insist on releasing the
CD's with only one album each.  _Rubycon_, for instance, contains only about
34 minutes of music.  Why not combine it with something else?

---
G. T. Samson
Commander-In-Chief, Harvard MicroWizards (Ret.)
gts@wjh12.ARPA

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev x258) (10/08/85)

> In article <603@tesla.UUCP> danb@tesla.UUCP (Dan Blumenthal) writes:
> >Tangerine Dream is finally on CD!!
> >The albums I saw out included Exit, Poland (possibly
> >missing a track since it was only a single CD), Ricochet,
> >and I think Cyclone.

I was at the local "alternative" record store and counted 12+(!) titles of
Tangerin Dream CDs .  I doubt your local chain record store would have them all.
The record stores to try in LA area would be :
	Aaron's Records (on Melrose in West Hollywood)
	Rhino Records
	Texas Records
	Vinil Fetish
--
-----------------------------------+ With deep indifference,
"I disbelieve an army of invisible |                       Oleg Kiselev.

Nothing I ever say reflects the views or opinions of my employers.
They knew who they hired though!

mpm@hpfcla.UUCP (10/08/85)

Re:  Combining CDs

     I don't mind the one-to-one correspondence between CDs and LPs for
Tangerine Dream stuff.  However, I do mind when a company deletes material
from a multi-LP set in order to fit it on fewer CDs.

     For example, the concert album "Poland" (apparently) consists of
four pieces:  Horizon, Barbakane, Poland, Warsaw; but the CD only con-
tains the first three.  (They do subtitle it "Extracts from the Warsaw
Concert".)  The CD currently has less than 58 minutes of music on it.
Does anyone know how long "Warsaw" runs?  Aside from speculating about
the motives of the record company (Jive Electro), does anyone know the
reason behind this?  (By the way I already have heard about the "hack
job" on Prince's "1999" album.)

-- Mike "give me the whole piece and I'll decide what to listen to" McCarthy
   (ihnp4!hpfcla!) mpm