[comp.unix.wizards] UNIX history made easy

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (10/01/89)

In article <Sep.30.21.29.38.1989.9534@elbereth.rutgers.edu> bschwart@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Not a Rich Republican) writes:
>In article <20226@usc.edu> gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel) writes:
>>In article <IZ9Hkde00WB58=V2pf@andrew.cmu.edu> mg32+@andrew.cmu.edu
>>(Michael Ginsberg) writes:
>>
>>>what DOES grep stand for???
>
>It is named after the author of the program:  Gregula Rex Pression, Ph.D.

No, it is named after the names of the four authors who worked on
the original regular expression matching code for the UNIX editor
'ed'.

Their names are Gregior, Ritchie, Ebersol, and Pike.  Micheal
Gregior is the creator of the UNIX regular expression matching
grammar [ he invent the *, ., and [] syntax BTW ]  Dennis Ritchie
we know all about.  Ralph Ebersol [ who died two years later on
the NYC to DC Metroliner at age 24 ] was the youngest person to
ever work at Murray Hill on PWB UNIX and 'ed' was just one of
his many contributions, his least famous being the `tacky bit'
on directories.

Pike, of Kernighan and Pike fame [ The UNIX Programming Environment ],
write quite a few of the UNIX system utilities.  He was probably the
number four UNIX programmer involved in the evolution of 7th Edition
UNIX, just after Ritchie, Thompson, and Kernighan.  He and Dennis
worked together on the 'pr' text formatting utility.

These were just four of Al Aho's employees [ Aho, BTW is the 'A'
in 'AWK' - Aho, Weinberg, and Kernighan ] in the late seventies.
A little known piece of trivial is that sales of Aho's 'Dragon
Book' financed the purchase of the original PDP-11 Thompson and
Ritchie worked on.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +-Things you didn't want to know:------
VoiceNet: (512) 832-8832   Data: -8835  | The real meaning of MACH is ...

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (10/02/89)

In article <1858@texsun.Central.Sun.COM> jthomp@wintermute.Central.Sun.COM (Jim Thompson  Sun Dallas IR) writes:
>'sticky bit', John, 'sticky'.  And back then it was on files,
>not directories.  (Well, ok,  you could probably set it on
>a directory (damn, where did I put that V6 listing?) but it
>had no meaning.  If you set it on an executable file, that file's
>swap image would stay on  the swap area after the program exited.
>It was a wonderful hack to reduce overhead of often used programs.
>
>In recent BSD editions, the sticky bit has be overloaded for
>directories to (not) permit 'unlink' operations in directories
>otherwise writtable by the process in question.

I can't believe I have to explain tacky bits to Jim.  Jim Thompson,
for those of you who -have- had your heads under rocks all your
lives is the inventor of the Set-GID bit.  Dennis Ritchie was
giving a lecture on his recently patented Set-UID bit [ which was
one of the first software patents -ever- ] and Jim very sarcastically
said `Why don't you do it for groups too', and the idea was born.

The purpose of the ``tacky bit'' was to get around the incredibly
small disk partitions which were prevalent in the early 1970s.
Any PC user is painfully aware of how small PC disks were [ typically
around 10MB ].  Well, PDP-11 disks ran as small as 5MB each,
often requiring 10 or 20 disk drives just to make a reasonably
large /usr partition.

What the tacky bit did was cause /unix to scan each subdirectory
of a directory on file name lookups.  So it would be possible to
have ten or twenty subdirectories each with a different mounted
file system all look like a single system image.  The introduction
of the RK07 disk drive did away with the need for the tacky bit,
and it faded into obscurity with a few other worthless ideas, like
`Save Stack on Swap', which saved a process's stack on the swapper
after it exited.
--

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (10/03/89)

In article <17090@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>What the tacky bit did was cause /unix to scan each subdirectory
>of a directory on file name lookups.  So it would be possible to
>have ten or twenty subdirectories each with a different mounted
>file system all look like a single system image.  ...

It worked very nicely, except that when you had the arms on your five RK05
disks seeking in unison, the cabinet in which they were mounted tended to
shake and fall over.

So what's the real reason early versions printed a semicolon before login: ?
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl, Levine@YALE.edu

libes@cme.nbs.gov (Don Libes) (10/03/89)

In article <1989Oct2.205642.5715@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:
>So what's the real reason early versions printed a semicolon before login: ?

This question is answered by the monthly posting of "Frequently Asked
Questions about UNIX" which suggests that you read "Life With UNIX".
According to its index, ";login:" is explained on page 204.

Don Libes          libes@cme.nist.gov      ...!uunet!cme-durer!libes

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/04/89)

In article <1989Oct2.205642.5715@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:
>So what's the real reason early versions printed a semicolon before login: ?

Just on the off-chance that you really want an answer to this one,
"ESC ;" would put a Tektronix 4014 into small-font mode.

aglew@urbana.mcd.mot.com (Andy-Krazy-Glew) (10/04/89)

I do not know about the tacky bit John F. Haugh II describes, but it
sounds similar to the directory continuation that Korn(?) and friends
have played around with recently - except directory continuation is
more general.

--
Andy "Krazy" Glew,  Motorola MCD,    	    	    aglew@urbana.mcd.mot.com
1101 E. University, Urbana, IL 61801, USA.          {uunet!,}uiucuxc!udc!aglew

My opinions are my own; I indicate my company only so that the reader
may account for any possible bias I may have towards our products.

rmyers@net1.ucsd.edu (Robert Myers) (10/04/89)

In article <17085@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>In article <Sep.30.21.29.38.1989.9534@elbereth.rutgers.edu> bschwart@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Not a Rich Republican) writes:
>>In article <20226@usc.edu> gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel) writes:

>>It is named after the author of the program:  Gregula Rex Pression, Ph.D.
>
>No, it is named after the names of the four authors who worked on
>the original regular expression matching code for the UNIX editor
>'ed'.
>
>Their names are Gregior, Ritchie, Ebersol, and Pike.  Micheal

NO, "grep" does not stand for the so-called author's names.  It is
a more intuitive or UNIX-ish type of abbreviation.  If you think in
terms of ed/ex/vi you can see that "grep" is actually "g/<re>/p".
The g stands for "global search", the <re> for "regular expression",
and the p for "print".  The /'s are separators, required by the
syntax.  Executing such a command in ed or at the ":" prompt
in vi (or ex) will result in the search and display (ie printing) of
any line satisfying the regular expression.  This is also the
result of using the UNIX utility "grep".

Actually, "Gregula Rex Pression, Ph.D.", in a twisted way, sums it up nicely.

Raul Rathmann
raul@sdnp1.ucsd.edu
(Using and abusing this account in lieu of R. Myers)

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (10/04/89)

	What has this world come to?  We recently hired a new programmer,
fresh out of a highly respected computer science at a highly respected ivy
league school.  Burrowing through the mess on my desk, I discovered an
announcment of a talk Ken Thompson gave last week at a local Unix user's
group meeting.  "Hey Brent, you want to go see Ken Thompson last week?"
"Who?"  "Ken Thompson."  "Who's that?"  "You never heard of Ken Thompson!?"
"No, who is he?"

	Either they don't teach kids anything in school any more or I'm
older than I thought.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

abh0@GTE.COM (Andrew Hudson) (10/06/89)

In article <4027@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:

>	What has this world come to?  We recently hired a new programmer,
>fresh out of a highly respected computer science at a highly respected ivy
                                                                        ^^^
>league school.  Burrowing through the mess on my desk, I discovered an
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>announcment of a talk Ken Thompson gave last week at a local Unix user's
>group meeting.  "Hey Brent, you want to go see Ken Thompson last week?"
>"Who?"  "Ken Thompson."  "Who's that?"  "You never heard of Ken Thompson!?"
>"No, who is he?"
>
>	Either they don't teach kids anything in school any more or I'm
>older than I thought.
>Roy Smith, Public Health Research Institute

Until the last year or two the Ivy schools have been predominantly
Non-UNIX oriented. Schools with lots of money to spend traditionally
spent it on big hardware (read IBM/Honeywell/Cyber/Univac/Pr1me) whereas
spendthrifty schools purchased PDP's and VAXen. Only recently
with the invention of the workstation have large scale purchases
of UNIX boxes become prevalent.  And even so a lot of Computer Centers
have opted for Macintosh and PC clusters in lieu of UNIX workstations.

But then maybe your programmer concentrated in Mathematics instead of
Systems Programming.

Consider this a gross characterization.
- Andrew Hudson
abh0@gte.com

--
"I remember, darkness doubled,
 I recall, lightning struck itself."

ihaka@diamond.tmc.edu (Ross Ihaka) (10/06/89)

In article <7604@bunny.GTE.COM> abh0@GTE.COM (Andrew Hudson) writes:
|Until the last year or two the Ivy schools have been predominantly
|Non-UNIX oriented. Schools with lots of money to spend traditionally
|spent it on big hardware (read IBM/Honeywell/Cyber/Univac/Pr1me) whereas
|spendthrifty schools purchased PDP's and VAXen.

My experience as a faculty member at Yale was that that particular
big money school had rooms full of Apollo machines and Vaxen, almost
none of them running Unix.   The vice-provost I lobbied about changing
things told me that there was no demand for Unix and he couldn't see why
I was interested in it.  It didn't seem to be a question of bucks.
Things do seem to have changed in CS,  they have replaced their Apollos
with Suns.  The rest of the university is probably still stuck with PCs,
VMS and VM.
	Ross

libes@cme.nbs.gov (Don Libes) (10/07/89)

In article <14920@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> ihaka@diamond.UUCP (Ross Ihaka) writes:
>In article <7604@bunny.GTE.COM> abh0@GTE.COM (Andrew Hudson) writes:
>|[Discussion of Ivy league schools using non-UNIX computers deleted]
>
>[Discussion of Yale as an example of such a school, and
>administration not appreciating the problem - deleted]

Irrelevant.  Any computer scientist worth his salt should know every
person who has won the Turing Award, and they should have a reasonable
understanding of why.  I don't care if they have never used UNIX.

Seeing as how Thompson was awarded this most prestigious prize in
computer science during the time this person was a "highly respected
computer scientist", it is hard to understand how they wouldn't know
the name and the accomplishment associated with it.  This is like a
physicist not being aware of a contemporary Nobel laureate in physics.

Don Libes          libes@cme.nist.gov      ...!uunet!cme-durer!libes

dan@dsi.COM (Dan Mick) (10/07/89)

>grep

Gee, I'd always thought it was generalized regular-expression
pattern-matching...

borg@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (daniel.w.meeks) (10/07/89)

>Until the last year or two the Ivy schools have been predominantly
>Non-UNIX oriented. Schools with lots of money to spend traditionally
>spent it on big hardware (read IBM/Honeywell/Cyber/Univac/Pr1me) whereas
>spendthrifty schools purchased PDP's and VAXen. Only recently
>with the invention of the workstation have large scale purchases
>of UNIX boxes become prevalent.  And even so a lot of Computer Centers
>have opted for Macintosh and PC clusters in lieu of UNIX workstations.
----------------

Even so I would have thought that Computer Science is old enough now
to start instructing on the history of operating systems etc and UNIX
along with Ken would have been mentioned.

|Daniel W. Meeks  @  att!iexist!dwm                     |
|``Computer..Computer..  Ah, a keyboard! How quaint...''|

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/07/89)

In article <17108@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
-In article <1694@muffin.cme.nbs.gov> libes@cme.nist.gov (Don Libes) writes:
->Irrelevant.  Any computer scientist worth his salt should know every
->person who has won the Turing Award, and they should have a reasonable
->understanding of why.  I don't care if they have never used UNIX.
-Somehow I doubt this.  I don't recall having an instructor tell
-me I needed to know who Ken Thompson was prior to teaching data
-structures or interrupt handling.

The point is, if you don't know who Backus, Dijkstra, Hoare, Knuth,
Thompson, Wirth, etc. are and what their major accomplishments were,
you shouldn't advertise yourself as a professional computer scientist.

I don't recall anybody (except possibly you) claiming that attending
college courses in "computer science" sufficed to make one a computer
scientist.

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (10/07/89)

In article <1694@muffin.cme.nbs.gov> libes@cme.nist.gov (Don Libes) writes:
>Irrelevant.  Any computer scientist worth his salt should know every
>person who has won the Turing Award, and they should have a reasonable
>understanding of why.  I don't care if they have never used UNIX.

Somehow I doubt this.  I don't recall having an instructor tell
me I needed to know who Ken Thompson was prior to teaching data
structures or interrupt handling.

Ken Thompson is the only person I know of who received the Turing
Award.  But then I'm not all that impressed with Turing.  Can't
find tapes long enough to run on his machines ;-)
--

rang@cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang) (10/09/89)

In article <3717@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> borg@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (daniel.w.meeks) writes:
>Even so I would have thought that Computer Science is old enough now
>to start instructing on the history of operating systems etc and UNIX
>along with Ken would have been mentioned.

  Just 'cause it was mentioned doesn't mean that any given person in
the class actually listened....  :-)

+----------------------------------+------------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student)        | rang@cs.wisc.edu |
| University of Wisconsin--Madison |                  |
+----------------------------------+------------------+

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (10/10/89)

In article <11239@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>The point is, if you don't know who Backus, Dijkstra, Hoare, Knuth,
>Thompson, Wirth, etc. are and what their major accomplishments were,
>you shouldn't advertise yourself as a professional computer scientist.

Why not?  Do I have to know that Alexander the Great's father is
the inventor of the Phillip's screwdriver to use one?

>I don't recall anybody (except possibly you) claiming that attending
>college courses in "computer science" sufficed to make one a computer
>scientist.

I'm only claiming that a course in The Great Names and Faces in
Computer History would be a waste of my time.

Sure, I knew what Backus did [ and I even know what to do with
it ].  But I don't need to know that he didn't play Thurston Howell III
on Gilligan's Isle.  I also know that a programmer who is going to
spend his entire life working in COBOL writing payroll programs
has no need for Backus' or Thompson's Greatest Hits.

Point is, to present a seemingly arbitrary list of computer greats
and claim this list is the basis for true computer professionalism
is pretty snooty.  Why is Thompson up there, for example, but
Ritchie isn't?  Go read that Turing Award paper again.  What has
Jensen been doing all these since he and Wirth worked on Pascal?
I know what Wirth has been doing and I'm not impressed.  As for
Dijkstra, I used 2 goto's just last week and exited at least one
loop in the middle.  Is he going to have me fired?

On the other hand, anyone who hasn't read ``The Mythical Man Month''
should be fired.  As arbitrary statements go, that's one I can
really believe in.
--

abh0@GTE.COM (Andrew Hudson) (10/11/89)

In article <1694@muffin.cme.nbs.gov> libes@cme.nist.gov (Don Libes) writes:

>Seeing as how Thompson was awarded this most prestigious prize in
>computer science during the time this person was a "highly respected
>computer scientist", it is hard to understand how they wouldn't know
>the name and the accomplishment associated with it.  This is like a
>physicist not being aware of a contemporary Nobel laureate in physics.
>
>Don Libes          libes@cme.nist.gov      ...!uunet!cme-durer!libes

No, this is like a history-oriented physicist not being aware
of a contemporary Nobel laureate in physics. I think that if
you poll recent Computer Science graduates you will find very
few who can identify 'highly prestigious' Computer Scientists.
And this is more by their work than by their awards.

- Andrew Hudson
abh0@gte.com
--

dan@ccnysci.UUCP (Dan Schlitt) (10/11/89)

-
-The point is, if you don't know who Backus, Dijkstra, Hoare, Knuth,
-Thompson, Wirth, etc. are and what their major accomplishments were,
-you shouldn't advertise yourself as a professional computer scientist.
-

Will it be on the final exam?

I guess 25 years of university level teaching made me into a terrible
cynic.  In another article reference was made to physicists and Nobel
prize winners in physics.  Don't expect better levels of knowledge
there.  You are bound to be disappointed.

The real test is whether the person originally mentioned in this tread
now knows who Thompson is, or did he just dismiss it with a question
from the same family as that above.
--
Dan Schlitt                        Manager, Science Division Computer Facility
dan@sci.ccny.cuny.edu              City College of New York

ari@kolmogorov.physics.uiuc.edu (10/11/89)

In my field, physics, I don't know every Nobel prize lauriate,
(sure, I know many, but not near most).  There are some
who won, that I can't remember what for, and then there
are some physicist who didn't win, that I think have.  However,
this doesn't seem to interfere with doing physics.  Oh well,
I guess I'm not a scientist after all.

ari

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (10/12/89)

In article <11239@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
|The point is, if you don't know who Backus, Dijkstra, Hoare, Knuth,
|Thompson, Wirth, etc. are and what their major accomplishments were,
|you shouldn't advertise yourself as a professional computer scientist.

You are mistaken.  While I admit that knowledge of what they have done
will aid you in being a computer scientist, that knowledge will not
make you one and lack of it does not necessarily degrade your ability
(although it probably will, especially for certain applications).

This is just another lesson in history: you can be more effective if
you know of the successes and failures of your predecessors, but you
can get the same job done that they did without knowledge of them --
it may just take a lot longer.  I only wish that politicians would
learn this lesson.

jim frost
software tool & die
madd@std.com

In article <17123@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
|On the other hand, anyone who hasn't read ``The Mythical Man Month''
|should be fired.

Agreed.  Learn the mistakes from someone who had to make them the hard
way.

jim frost
software tool & die
madd@std.com

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/12/89)

In article <8600002@kolmogorov> ari@kolmogorov.physics.uiuc.edu writes:
>this doesn't seem to interfere with doing physics.  Oh well,
>I guess I'm not a scientist after all.

If you had no idea who Newton, Einstein, Heisenberg, or Feynman were,
then yes I would have to say you weren't qualified as a physicist!

Remember, this thread started when somebody reported that his colleague,
who billed himself as a professional computer scientist, said that he
had no idea who Ken Thompson is or what he had done.  To me (and others)
that is comparble illiteracy to a "physicist" not knowing the names I
mentioned above.

Nobel prizes, Turing awards, etc. are of course only loosely correlated
with genuinely great names in their respective fields.

richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) (10/12/89)

In article <11239@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>The point is, if you don't know who Backus, Dijkstra, Hoare, Knuth,
>Thompson, Wirth, etc. are and what their major accomplishments were,
>you shouldn't advertise yourself as a professional computer scientist.

You certainly shouldn't call yourself a computer scientist if you don't
understand the major principles expounded by these people, but to
believe that knowledge of the people is important smacks of episodism.

-- Richard

--
Richard Tobin,                       JANET: R.Tobin@uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,           ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

bet@orion.mc.duke.edu (Bennett Todd) (10/12/89)

(Re: a fresh young CS major hadn't heard of Ken Thompson)

It should be remembered that different schools have different approaches
to undergraduate instruction. Some places emphasize teaching a
foundation of theory, and never mention current practice as part of the
formal curriculum, though students might accidentally pick up odd
tidbits. I can't say I am entirely unsympathetic to this trend; where do
you draw the line between giving a healthy understanding of current
events in the profession and giving an unhealthy emphasis on how-to? You
have *got* to cover a lot of the boring *why* unless you are a trade
school trying to crank out piecework programmers. Unfortunately this
concern can be taken too far.  In some places I have the feeling someone
like Ken Thompson would be looked down upon as a mere technician with
dirt under his fingernails, figuratively speaking. A lot depends on the
political makeup of the university as a whole and the CS department in
particular.  Given the stresses universities have always enjoyed on the
budget side, who can tell where they are going to attempt to find
financial security?

-Bennett
bet@orion.mc.duke.edu

dhesi@sun505.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (10/13/89)

In article <11266@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>...Newton, Einstein, Heisenberg, or Feynman...
>Remember, this thread started when somebody reported that his colleague,
>who billed himself as a professional computer scientist, said that he
>had no idea who Ken Thompson is or what he had done.  To me (and others)
>that is [comparable] illiteracy to a "physicist" not knowing the names I
>mentioned above.

The true test of greatness is how people remember you after you die and
for how long.  Let's give Ken Thompson some more time.  There is every
possibility that he will pass the test, but it will remain for another
generation to decide that.

I also tend to believe that the real *unsung* heroes of this saga are
the unassuming folks at Berkeley.  Thompson and Ritchie may be the
proud (and talented) biological parents of the child, but the teenage
UNIX really grew up on the west coast with foster parents where it
acquired some badly-needed training in how to survive in the real
world.

Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi

libes@cme.nbs.gov (Don Libes) (10/13/89)

In article <1218@skye.ed.ac.uk> richard@aiai.UUCP (Richard Tobin) writes:
>In article <11239@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>The point is, if you don't know who Backus, Dijkstra, Hoare, Knuth,
>>Thompson, Wirth, etc. are and what their major accomplishments were,
>>you shouldn't advertise yourself as a professional computer scientist.

>You certainly shouldn't call yourself a computer scientist if you don't
>understand the major principles expounded by these people, but to
>believe that knowledge of the people is important smacks of episodism.

I originally said that any computer scientist ought to know the Turing
award winners.  Hey, folks...I'm not talking biographies here.  I'm
talking familiarity with fundamental computer science literature!

If you don't know who Knuth is, you're telling me you are unaware of
an essential reference on algorithms.  If you don't know the name
Backus, you couldn't possibly know very much about language translation.
All of these names come up so frequently in references, or algorithm
names, that it is inescapable you become familiar with them.

I never meant to suggest that you had to read their biographies or
take a class in the subject.  Rather, such knowledge is simply an
inevitable part of learning the field of computer science.

Don Libes          libes@cme.nist.gov      ...!uunet!cme-durer!libes

bet@orion.mc.duke.edu (Bennett Todd) (10/13/89)

In article <8600002@kolmogorov>, ari@kolmogorov writes:

>In my field, physics, I don't know every Nobel prize lauriate,
>(sure, I know many, but not near most).  There are some
>who won, that I can't remember what for, and then there
>are some physicist who didn't win, that I think have.

I think folks are missing the point here. The Turing Award is important,
though perhaps not as important in some absolute sense as the Nobel
Prize. However, the question was about a new hire with a degree in
Computer Science who had *never heard* of Ken Thompson.

Depending on your background and interests you might or might not be
expected to have an extensive background in UNIX; however there is a
long list of names that should at least be familiar. Besides Thompson
and Ritchie and Kernighan and Pike and all that gang I would tend to
expect that computer scientists would have at least *heard* of Grace
Hopper, Fred Brooks, Andy Tanenbaum, and many others. Likewise I would
be surprised at a physicist who hadn't *heard* of Nobel, Pauli,
Rutherford, Feynman, and several zillion others. The point is that a
good background in Computer Science should in *my* opinion (though not
that of some Computer Science departments!) include a reasonable
exposure to high points of the practice of computer science in its
history, as well as the theory.  Sure, unless your interests lean in
that particular direction you might be little more than vaguely familiar
with the name, but at least that much seems reasonable to expect!

I haven't tried to make a list, so this part here is pure guesswork, but
I would tend to expect that most computer scientists would at least
recognize some 40 or 50 names of scientists who made major, fundamental
contributions to the art, over and above the potentially very long list
of specialists in your chosen field.

-Bennett
bet@orion.mc.duke.edu

benson@odi.com (Benson I. Margulies) (10/16/89)

<warning -- semi-sarcartic comment follows>

Computer scientists spend their time writing down meta-programs in
incomprehensible greek letters to prove the computation equivalent of
the inability of bumblebees to fly. They don't write operating
systems.

<end of sarcasm>

seriously, Unix has almost nothing to do with the bulk of computer
SCIENCE, as opposed to the engineering of operating systems.
One could be the world-wide expert in LR(4) grammars or Petri Nets
and have no good reason to know Ken T. from Richard Nixon.

--
Benson I. Margulies

andrew@alice.UUCP (Andrew Hume) (10/17/89)

this strand about ken is silly enough without me adding to it
but ken is famous for more than unix. he did some important
work early on (1960's) with regular expressions, establishing
a formal method to transform finite-state machines into
equivalent non-deterministic finite automata. this is related
to the patent he holds for implementing regular expression recognisers.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/19/89)

In article <10027@alice.UUCP> andrew@alice.UUCP (Andrew Hume) writes:
-this strand about ken is silly enough without me adding to it
-but ken is famous for more than unix. he did some important
-work early on (1960's) with regular expressions, ...

Yup.  He's also famous in the world of computer chess.

dwc@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (Malaclypse the Elder) (10/21/89)

In article <10027@alice.UUCP>, andrew@alice.UUCP (Andrew Hume) writes:

> this strand about ken is silly enough without me adding to it
> but ken is famous for more than unix. he did some important
> work early on (1960's) with regular expressions, establishing
> a formal method to transform finite-state machines into
> equivalent non-deterministic finite automata. this is related
> to the patent he holds for implementing regular expression recognisers.

its been about ten years since i took my finite state automata class
so i'm not clear about the difference between finite state machines
and finite automata, but are you referring to the method of transforming
a non-deterministic finite state automaton into a deterministic one?
it involves creating new states that are the cross products of the
states of the non-deterministic machine.

if so, i did not know that ken thompson was the "inventor" of this
method.  i school, it was presented as a proof that the two are
equivalent in power.

which i guess brings me to my point.  it is quite *centric (fill
in the * with anything that matches an appropriate personality) of
the people arguing about what constitutes a scientist.  it is silly
to say that one is only a scientist if one knows what i know.  but
there are a couple of things that are "useful" to know (in my *centric view):
scientific method and in a related way, where/how to find things out.

this is my opinion.

danny
att!hocus!dwc