[comp.unix.wizards] B.E.M.

vic@zen.co.uk (Victor Gavin) (10/25/89)

In article <49631@oliveb.olivetti.com> swirsky@olivee.olivetti.com (Robert Swirsky) writes:
>> A number of people pointed out that the vi manual says vee-eye is correct.
>
>Perhaps a better way to tell a wizard is from the way he/she pronounces
>"gigabyte." If a person pronounces it with a *soft* "g" (as in gigantic)
>that person knows what he/she's talking about.
>
>Every dictionary in the universe says that a soft g is preferred/correct.

Well, in my copy of the Encyclopaedia Galactica, under gigabyte, it says that
most mature species in the galaxy don't deal in such trivially small amounts
of memory.

It also says, under pronunciation, that the idea behind speech is to
communicate so it doesn't matter how it's pronounced.

It also has a foot note which says that you should never try to correct
Large Green Bug Eyed Monsters about such things as they normally carry
around large implements for *squashing* pedants.

Well I thought it was getting kinda silly :-)

			vic
--
Victor Gavin						Zengrange Limited
vic@zen.co.uk						Greenfield Road

maujt@warwick.ac.uk (Richard J Cox) (10/28/89)

In article <2000@zen.co.uk> vic@zen.UUCP (Victor Gavin) writes:

>Well, in my copy of the Encyclopaedia Galactica, under gigabyte, it says that
>most mature species in the galaxy don't deal in such trivially small amounts
>of memory.

hear! hear!

>It also says, under pronunciation, that the idea behind speech is to
>communicate so it doesn't matter how it's pronounced.

This is also true.

>It also has a foot note which says that you should never try to correct
>Large Green Bug Eyed Monsters about such things as they normally carry
>around large implements for *squashing* pedants.

Wow! this articule is a really hoopy frood isn't it. Always remember
to carry your towel and avoid the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast or Traal,
especially when you are being pedantic.

>Well I thought it was getting kinda silly :-)
>
>			vic

Well at least HGttG is a far more sensible topic :-)

- RC

JANET:  maujt@uk.ac.warwick.cu                    |"I want it all, and I
ARPA:   maujt@cu.warwick.ac.uk                    | want it now"
UUCP:   ...!mcvax!ukc!warwick!maujt               |             ~ Queen
BITNET: maujt%uk.ac.warwick.cu@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk |
Richard Cox, Undergrad, Applied Maths, University Of Warwick, Coventry, UK