[comp.unix.wizards] The Great Vi Controversy

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (10/21/89)

Ok, ok, ok, you can stop the flood of mail now.
Little did I realize what I hornet's nest I would stir up.

Anyway, my mail indicates that vee-eye is indeed the more prevalent
pronounciation, over vye (as in "curl up and die for pronouncing vi that
way" :-).  There appears to be some evidence that there are regional
preferences, though of course the notorious mobility of computer professionals
would tend to mitigate that a bit.

A number of people pointed out that the vi manual says vee-eye is correct.
Actually, I've known that for over a decade, and have known it since shortly
after I heard of vi, having dug out the manual and read it cover-to-cover.
Since everyone I knew said vye (this included instructors, computer lab
personnel, etc.), I guess I imprinted to that pronounciation.

A few made scurrilous and brazen attacks, impugning the intelligence
and/or wizard-ness of those wizards I know who pronounce vi as vye.
I suppose this makes them feel big.  Whoopie.

Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

swirsky@olivee.olivetti.com (Robert Swirsky) (10/24/89)

> A number of people pointed out that the vi manual says vee-eye is correct.

Perhaps a better way to tell a wizard is from the way he/she pronounces
"gigabyte." If a person pronounces it with a *soft* "g" (as in gigantic)
that person knows what he/she's talking about.

Every dictionary in the universe says that a soft g is preferred/correct.

ok@cs.mu.oz.au (Richard O'Keefe) (10/24/89)

In article <49631@oliveb.olivetti.com>, swirsky@olivee.olivetti.com (Robert Swirsky) writes:
[says that wizards pronounce "gigabyte" with a soft g"]
> Every dictionary in the universe says that a soft g is preferred/correct.

The Concise Oxford says that both hard and soft are allowed.

Never occurred to me that gamma-iota-gamma-alpha might come across with a
soft g; must keep an ear out for it and maybe I'll hear it some day.

ahl@saussure.technix.oz.au (Tony Landells) (10/24/89)

In article <49631@oliveb.olivetti.com> swirsky@olivee.olivetti.com (Robert Swirsky) writes:

   Perhaps a better way to tell a wizard is from the way he/she pronounces
   "gigabyte." If a person pronounces it with a *soft* "g" (as in gigantic)
   that person knows what he/she's talking about.

   Every dictionary in the universe says that a soft g is preferred/correct.

Except the Oxford, which says that not only may the g be soft or hard,
but the 'i' may be either as in 'bite' or as in 'bit'.  I love people
making REALLY exorbitant claims :-]

Tony.

blm@6sigma.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (10/25/89)

In article <49631@oliveb.olivetti.com> swirsky@olivee.olivetti.com (Robert Swirsky) writes:
|> A number of people pointed out that the vi manual says vee-eye is correct.
|Perhaps a better way to tell a wizard is from the way he/she pronounces
|"gigabyte." If a person pronounces it with a *soft* "g" (as in gigantic)
|that person knows what he/she's talking about.
|Every dictionary in the universe says that a soft g is preferred/correct.

Actually, my Alpha Centauran dictionary says it's pronounced [&@)-3#~y,
but then what do those Alpha Centaurans know anyways? :-)
--
Brian L. Matthews	blm@6sigma.UUCP

shankar@hpclscu.HP.COM (Shankar Unni) (10/25/89)

> Perhaps a better way to tell a wizard is from the way he/she pronounces
> "gigabyte." If a person pronounces it with a *soft* "g" (as in gigantic)
> that person knows what he/she's talking about.
>
> Every dictionary in the universe says that a soft g is preferred/correct.

Nope. Both hard and soft are listed as acceptable pronunciations. The hard
"g" is far more prevalent in my opinion. I don't know how many wizards
*you* know: most of the ones *I* know say it with a hard "g".

Did you learn your pronunciation from a computer, by any chance?
-----
Shankar.

ath@prosys.se (Anders Thulin) (10/25/89)

In article <49631@oliveb.olivetti.com> swirsky@olivee.olivetti.com (Robert Swirsky) writes:

>Perhaps a better way to tell a wizard is from the way he/she pronounces
>"gigabyte." If a person pronounces it with a *soft* "g" (as in gigantic)
>that person knows what he/she's talking about.
>
>Every dictionary in the universe says that a soft g is preferred/correct.

Utterly irrelevant to computer wizardry, of course:

  ``There is something to be said for retaining the hard sound of the g
  even before e, i, and y, in such Greek-derived words as are not in
  popular but only in learned, technichal, or literary use. To those
  who know some Greek the sound of '-oji' in pedagogy or 'jeri-' in
  geriatrics or 'jini-' in gynaecology either obscures the meaning, which
  they would catch with the aid of the hard g, or, if they happen to
  be prepared for it and so do not miss the meaning, is still repulsive.
  To those who do not know Greek the sound of the words is immaterial,
  and they might allow the other party the indulgence of a harmless
  pedantry that affects after all but a few words. [ ... ]''

  Fowler: A Dictionary of Modern English Usage: Article 'Greek g'.

--
Anders Thulin, Programsystem AB, Teknikringen 2A, S-583 30 Linkoping, Sweden
ath@prosys.se   {uunet,mcvax}!sunic!prosys!ath

maujt@warwick.ac.uk (Richard J Cox) (10/25/89)

In article <2511@munnari.oz.au> ok@cs.mu.oz.au (Richard O'Keefe) writes:
>In article <49631@oliveb.olivetti.com>, swirsky@olivee.olivetti.com (Robert Swirsky) writes:
>[says that wizards pronounce "gigabyte" with a soft g"]
>> Every dictionary in the universe says that a soft g is preferred/correct.
>
>The Concise Oxford says that both hard and soft are allowed.
>
>Never occurred to me that gamma-iota-gamma-alpha might come across with a
>soft g; must keep an ear out for it and maybe I'll hear it some day.

The Colins English (2nd ed) says hard g, as in 'gig'.

- RC

/*------------------------------------------------+-------------------------*/
JANET:  maujt@uk.ac.warwick.cu                    |"I want it all, and I
ARPA:   maujt@cu.warwick.ac.uk                    | want it now"
UUCP:   ...!mcvax!ukc!warwick!maujt               |             ~ Queen
BITNET: maujt%uk.ac.warwick.cu@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk |
/*------------------------------------------------+-------------------------*/
Richard Cox, Undergrad, Applied Maths, University Of Warwick, Coventry, UK

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (10/26/89)

In article <2511@munnari.oz.au> ok@cs.mu.oz.au (Richard O'Keefe) writes:
=In article <49631@oliveb.olivetti.com>, swirsky@olivee.olivetti.com (Robert Swirsky) writes:
=[says that wizards pronounce "gigabyte" with a soft g"]
=> Every dictionary in the universe says that a soft g is preferred/correct.
=
=The Concise Oxford says that both hard and soft are allowed.

A related question is on pronounciation of the "i".  Is it "eye" or "ee"?
I.e., jee-ga or jeye-ga, pee-co or peye-co??
--
Pete Holsberg                UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College               CompuServe: 70240,334

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (10/26/89)

In article <929@uakari.primate.wisc.edu>, bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
> Ok, ok, ok, you can stop the flood of mail now.
> Little did I realize what I hornet's nest I would stir up.
>
> Anyway, my mail indicates that vee-eye is indeed the more prevalent
> pronounciation, over vye (as in "curl up and die for pronouncing vi that
> way" :-).  There appears to be some evidence that there are regional

Actually, we commonly receive a much worse pronunciation.  We sell
references and tutorials for vi and it is quite common for a buyer to
call us to place an order.  They generally ask for a "6" reference.

This is a dead giveaway that we won't be able to talk them into some
other products.  Or, that they are Roman. :-)
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    amc-gw!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

swirsky@olivee.olivetti.com (Robert Swirsky) (10/28/89)

In article <291@orchid.warwick.ac.uk> maujt@warwick.ac.uk (Richard J Cox) writes:
>>Never occurred to me that gamma-iota-gamma-alpha might come across with a
>>soft g; must keep an ear out for it and maybe I'll hear it some day.

Flame, flame, flame.
I'll think of you next time I see something "gigantic" or perhaps when I
dance the "gigue." How do *you* pronounce "gigolo" or "gigot?"

Anyway, there's only one pronunciation in all my American dictionaries for
"gigas" which clearly has the same root as "gigabyte."

This only proves one thing: I'm just a Unix jock and not a wizard.
Let's get back to business....

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (10/28/89)

:
: Perhaps a better way to tell a wizard is from the way he/she pronounces
: "gigabyte." If a person pronounces it with a *soft* "g" (as in gigantic)
: that person knows what he/she's talking about.
:
: Every dictionary in the universe says that a soft g is preferred/correct.

Not true. Webster's Ninth Collegiate says that the giga- prefix
is pronounced both ways.

---
bill@twwells.com

sanders@sanders.austin.ibm.com (Tony Sanders) (10/31/89)

>Actually, we commonly receive a much worse pronunciation.  We sell
>references and tutorials for vi and it is quite common for a buyer to
>call us to place an order.  They generally ask for a "6" reference.

If vi were to be pronounced 6, then one must pronounce rm, 86 :-)

Shame on me, but for a joke I created these alias a long time ago just so
I could confuse people :-)

fortune: Command not found.
-- sanders