[comp.unix.wizards] vi

mikulska@odin.ucsd.edu (Margaret Mikulska) (11/14/89)

In article <2808@convex.UUCP> thurlow@convex.com (Robert Thurlow) writes:
>I use 'vi' daily, and while I won't be without it and don't care much
>for most Emacsen, I'll never say 'vi' is easy to learn.

I use vi daily and i'd say it's so easy to use that there is nothing
really to learn, except for some more esoteric features.
Our users don't complain too much about vi.

>Of course, it *is* a programmers editor ...

But then, i *am* a programmer, among other things ...

> EDT and LSE were one of the easier things to pick up when I
>did a VAX/VMS project awhile ago ...

I had to use VAX/VMS and EDT some time ago. EDT was extremely confusing
for me after I had gotten used to vi.

Margaret Mikulska
mem@inls1.ucsd.edu

henk@cs.eur.nl (Henk Langeveld) (11/15/89)

mikulska@odin.ucsd.edu (Margaret Mikulska) writes:

>> EDT and LSE were one of the easier things to pick up when I
>>did a VAX/VMS project awhile ago ...

>I had to use VAX/VMS and EDT some time ago. EDT was extremely confusing
>for me after I had gotten used to vi.

And consider the case when you haven't got a DEC-compatible terminal,
without function keys ?

The *one* thing about vi that I really appreciate, is that I don't
need any function keys, while life without them is hard at least
on EDT/TPU/EVE.

Vi is one of those things of which you think, when you first encounter
it: "How will I ever tame this monster?"   But once you realize
the basic principle of input/command/line mode, it's not so bad at
all.

Perhaps we could use a vi tutorial, to get people acquainted with
the basics of vi.  Anybody?  Maarten?

-Henk

thurlow@convex.com (Robert Thurlow) (11/15/89)

mikulska@odin.ucsd.edu (Margaret Mikulska) writes:
>In article <2808@convex.UUCP> thurlow@convex.com (Robert Thurlow) writes:
>>I use 'vi' daily, and while I won't be without it and don't care much
>>for most Emacsen, I'll never say 'vi' is easy to learn.

>I use vi daily and i'd say it's so easy to use that there is nothing
>really to learn, except for some more esoteric features.
>Our users don't complain too much about vi.

Hey, I said *learn*.  I have had a *lot* of complaints from people
trying to learn it.  Especially the weenies weaned on PC-based word
processors :-)  If you've learned, it's just fine, though.

>> EDT and LSE were one of the easier things to pick up when I
>>did a VAX/VMS project awhile ago ...

>I had to use VAX/VMS and EDT some time ago. EDT was extremely confusing
>for me after I had gotten used to vi.

I probably would have had a tougher time if I hadn't used WPS on PDP-8
machines a long time ago, and MicroEmacs regularly at home.

And like has been mentioned, you shouldn't even *think* of trying to use
a non-DEC terminal to run those editors :-(

Rob T
--
Rob Thurlow, thurlow@convex.com