[comp.unix.wizards] The Great Gigabyte Controversy

dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) (11/09/89)

From article <15594@puff.UUCP>, by kschnitz@puff.UUCP (Kevin Schnitzius):
] swirsky@olivee.olivetti.com (Robert Swirsky) says:
]>
]> Perhaps a better way to tell a wizard is from the way he/she pronounces
]> "gigabyte." If a person pronounces it with a *soft* "g" (as in gigantic)
]> that person knows what he/she's talking about.
]>
]> Every dictionary in the universe says that a soft g is preferred/correct.
]
] Do you mean:
] (1) jigabyte
] (2) gijabyte
] (3) jijabyte
] (4) gigabyte

Why am i giggling so much as the suggestions to pronounce in jigabyte :-)

The softness / hardness of a g followed by an i is not cast in stone:

giggle has a hard g
gigantic has a soft g
gibbon has a hard g
gift has a hard g
giblet has a soft g

Take your pick.
--
	dg@lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
						IHS	| +-+-+

zvs@bby.oz (Zev Sero) (11/10/89)

swirsky@olivee.olivetti.com (Robert Swirsky) says:
> Every dictionary in the universe says that a soft g is preferred/correct.

The Macquarie Dictionary (which was in the known universe last time I
looked) has only *one* pronunciation - hard g, i as in pit, hard g,
e as in the, bite.  Variants with j's or with the i as in bite are not
even listed.

Yankland is not the only place in the universe where English is
spoken.  In fact, it is not one of the places in the universe where
English is spoken :-)
--
				Zev Sero  -  zvs@bby.oz.au
Australia, n.   A country lying in the South Sea, whose industrial and

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (11/12/89)

In article <742@lakart.UUCP> dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:
=From article <15594@puff.UUCP>, by kschnitz@puff.UUCP (Kevin Schnitzius):
=] swirsky@olivee.olivetti.com (Robert Swirsky) says:
=]>
=]> Perhaps a better way to tell a wizard is from the way he/she pronounces
=]> "gigabyte." If a person pronounces it with a *soft* "g" (as in gigantic)
=]> that person knows what he/she's talking about.
=]>
=]> Every dictionary in the universe says that a soft g is preferred/correct.
=]
=] Do you mean:
=] (1) jigabyte
=] (2) gijabyte
=] (3) jijabyte
=] (4) gigabyte
=
=Why am i giggling so much as the suggestions to pronounce in jigabyte :-)
=
=The softness / hardness of a g followed by an i is not cast in stone:
=
=giggle has a hard g
=gigantic has a soft g
=gibbon has a hard g
=gift has a hard g
=giblet has a soft g
=
=Take your pick.
=--
=	dg@lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
=						IHS	| +-+-+
=	....... !harvard!xait!lakart!dg			+-+-+ |
=AKA:	dg%lakart.uucp@xait.xerox.com			  +---+

Whatever David says is goodenough for me!  But, is it geega or ggga??
--
Pete Holsberg                UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College               CompuServe: 70240,334

jharkins@sagpd1.UUCP (Jim Harkins) (11/15/89)

Methinks by the time this thread ends the correct pronunciation will be
'terabyte'.

jim
"By the way, how do you pronounce 'make'?"

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (11/16/89)

In article <ZVS.89Nov10124053@rattle.bby.oz> zvs@bby.oz (Zev Sero) writes:
>Yankland is not the only place in the universe where English is
>spoken.  In fact, it is not one of the places in the universe where
>English is spoken :-)

Strong words, coming from an Ozzie :-)

Hang on a sec before you reply, so's I can get under my desk...
--
 Paul Smee               |    JANET: Smee@uk.ac.bristol
 Computer Centre         |   BITNET: Smee%uk.ac.bristol@ukacrl.bitnet