[comp.unix.wizards] Pronunciations

mike@nixba.UUCP (Mike Lyons) (10/24/89)

[ I'm already wearing my flame-retardant suit for this one... :-) ]

As you can see from my header, I work here in Germany.  I'm always debating
with my colleagues over what the "correct" pronunciation for various UNIX
things are. Here's a short list of the way some things are said here, and I'd
like some feedback (e-mail of course!! :-) on what the One True Pronunciation
for each item is:

		sed = ess - e - dee
		ed  = e - dee
		awk = a - w - k
		ioctl = i - o control
		fcntl = f - control
		strrchr = stir - recker
		tty  =  t - t - y
		uucico = you - you - kee - ko
		HUPCL = hoop - sell
		mkdir = m - k - dir
		mknod = m - k - node
		pg  = p - g

this is not supposed to be representative of the German UNIX community, but
rather what I hear around here.

Peace,
  Mike

--
Michael D. Lyons / Nixdorf Computer AG / phone: +49 911 6415 609
Donaustrasse 36 :: D-8500 Nuernberg 60 :: Federal Republic of Germany

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/25/89)

In article <440@nixba.UUCP> mike@nixba.UUCP (Mike Lyons) writes:
>		sed = ess - e - dee
>		ed  = e - dee

In the environment that spawned "ed", the follow-on editors were
named "fred", "jim", then "sam".  This suggests that "ed" is short
for "edward".

Thus "sed" must be short for "sedward".

>		awk = a - w - k

awk: bailing out near line 1

Obviously it's inspired by an "auk" (a bird) with a parachute;
there are even T-shirts to corroborate this view.

>		ioctl = i - o control

Ok, also the Lone Ranger's "i-o Cuttle, away!" and "i-octal"
(I dislike the last).

>		fcntl = f - control

Ok.  There is an alternative but not in mixed company.

>		strrchr = stir - recker

"stir-r-chir", inspired by strchr being "stir-chir".
Some people pronounce this "r-index".

>		tty  =  t - t - y

Or "titty", as in "An ADM-3 is a glass titty".

>		uucico = you - you - kee - ko

"u-u-c-i-c-o" (Unix-to-Unix copy-in copy-out, obviously an acronym).

>		HUPCL = hoop - sell

"hup-cluh" or "hup-cul", because HUP is short for "hang-up", as in
SIGHUP.

>		mkdir = m - k - dir

"make dir", because that's what it does.

>		mknod = m - k - node

"make node", because that's what it does.

>		pg  = p - g

Ok.

Gee, isn't this silly.

decot@hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) (10/25/89)

> As you can see from my header, I work here in Germany.  I'm always debating
> with my colleagues over what the "correct" pronunciation for various UNIX
> things are. Here's a short list of the way some things are said here, and I'd
> like some feedback (e-mail of course!! :-) on what the One True Pronunciation
> for each item is:
>
> 		sed = ess - e - dee
> 		ed  = e - dee
> 		awk = a - w - k
> 		ioctl = i - o control
> 		fcntl = f - control
> 		strrchr = stir - recker
> 		tty  =  t - t - y
> 		uucico = you - you - kee - ko
> 		HUPCL = hoop - sell
> 		mkdir = m - k - dir
> 		mknod = m - k - node
> 		pg  = p - g

Here's what I believe to be the most common American pronunciations among
people who've been in the UNIX business a while:

		sed = sehdd
		ed  = ee - DEE
		awk = awk
		ioctl = eye - o - cun - TROLL *OR* eye octal
		fcntl = EF - control
		strrchr = stir - ER - cur
		tty  =  t - t - Y *OR* titty
		uucico = you... you see... I see... oh
		HUPCL = HUHP - cull
		mkdir = MUHK deer
		mknod = muhk NODD
		pg  = p - G

Very similar...

Dave

In article <440@nixba.UUCP> mike@nixba.UUCP (Mike Lyons) writes:
|[ I'm already wearing my flame-retardant suit for this one... :-) ]
|
|As you can see from my header, I work here in Germany.  I'm always debating
|with my colleagues over what the "correct" pronunciation for various UNIX
|things are. Here's a short list of the way some things are said here, and I'd
|like some feedback (e-mail of course!! :-) on what the One True Pronunciation
|for each item is:

There must be a better group for this.  If I could think of it, I'd
put a followup line there.  Oh well, here goes.

My basic tendency, and those of most (although not all) around me
is to say the UNIXism in the easiest possible way, that is, with the
fewest syllables.  Thus I nearly never spell out a command I could
otherwise pronounce.  The first three in Mike's list are some of these.
Yes, and that means I say "vye" as well, but tough noogies.  Paul Dubois
and I just share that distinctive Madisonian accent.  It's true that
this introduces an ambiguity with "ex" and "X11", but context always
seems sufficient to differentiate them.

That said, on the list...

|		sed = ess - e - dee
nope, just "sed", as in "joe said".
|		ed  = e - dee
ditto, just "ed", as in "mr. ed, the talking horse".
|		awk = a - w - k
again, just "awk", like "auks", the northern diving birds.
|		ioctl = i - o control
i've always sais "i - octal", but i've heard others say "i - o - cuddle",
which sounds nice and warm but takes 4 syllables.
|		fcntl = f - control
agreed.
|		strrchr = stir - recker
this we pronounce "rindex".  :-)
|		tty  =  t - t - y
yes, or "titty", which can be fun.
|		uucico = you - you - kee - ko
agreed.
|		HUPCL = hoop - sell
got be handing.  what's that?
|		mkdir = m - k - dir
no -- 'makedir'.
|		mknod = m - k - node
no -- 'makenode' or others: 'makenod'.
|		pg  = p - g
again, we pronounce this "less". :-)

--tom

    Tom Christiansen                       {uunet,uiucdcs,sun}!convex!tchrist
    Convex Computer Corporation                            tchrist@convex.COM
		 "EMACS belongs in <sys/errno.h>: Editor too big!"

rns@se-sd.NCR.COM (Rick Schubert) (10/26/89)

Now a real wizard test:

How do you pronounce Kernighan?

-- Rick Schubert (rns@se-sd.sandiego.NCR.COM)

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (10/26/89)

As quoted from <440@nixba.UUCP> by mike@nixba.UUCP (Mike Lyons):
+---------------
| 		sed = ess - e - dee
| 		ed  = e - dee
| 		awk = a - w - k
| 		ioctl = i - o control
| 		fcntl = f - control
| 		strrchr = stir - recker
| 		tty  =  t - t - y
| 		uucico = you - you - kee - ko
| 		HUPCL = hoop - sell
| 		mkdir = m - k - dir
| 		mknod = m - k - node
| 		pg  = p - g
+---------------

I pronounce sed, ed, and awk as written (sehd, ehd, awww-k).
ioctl, fcntl, tty: agree.
strrchr:  stir-R-char
uucico: "you-you-see-EYE-see-oh" (accent on the I ;-)
HUPCL: "huhp-see-ell"
mkdir: "make-dihr", mknod: "make-node"
pg: "page"

For the curious:  I don't pronounce the shell names, I just say "Bourne shell",
"C shell", "Korn shell" as appropriate.  vsh I call "visual shell", unless
it's Microsoft's vsh, which I pronounce "trash" ;-)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery:  allbery@NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu bsa@telotech.uucp
>>>	 Shall we try for comp.protocols.tcp-ip.eniac next, Richard?	    <<<

dc@dcpc.UUCP (Don Curtis) (10/26/89)

In  <440@nixba.UUCP> mike@nixba.UUCP (Mike Lyons) asks:

	[stuff deleted about how to pronounce things]

>		sed = ess - e - dee
	    sed = said

>		ed  = e - dee
	    ed = ed

>		awk = a - w - k
	    awk = awwk

>		ioctl = i - o control
		ioctl = i-o-c-t-l

>		fcntl = f - control
		fcntl = f-c-n-t-l

>		strrchr = stir - recker
		strchr = (whatever you want)

>		tty  =  t - t - y
		same

>		uucico = you - you - kee - ko
		same

>		HUPCL = hoop - sell
		HUPCL = hup-control

>		mkdir = m - k - dir
		mkdir = make-dir

>		mknod = m - k - node
		mknod = make-node

>		pg  = p - g
		pg = page

	At least that's the way we do it here.

	The one I want to know is how most folks pronounce "char",
	I and most others pronounce it like the first part of
	"character" while others pronounce it like the first
	part of "charcoal"

--
/*
**              Don Curtis    ...boulder!tcr!dcpc!dc

mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Michael DeCorte) (10/26/89)

|		pg  = p - g
At clarkson you get "Huh? I don't do system five"

If it doesn't have job control and systat (intimidates management
types whe you are staring at :vmstat :-) we don't want it.
--

Michael DeCorte // H215-546-0497 W386-8164 Fax386-8252 // mrd@clutx.bitnet
2300 Naudain St. "H", Phil, PA 19146 // mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu

abh0@GTE.COM (Andrew Hudson) (10/26/89)

In article <11411@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>		awk = a - w - k
>
>awk: bailing out near line 1
>
>Obviously it's inspired by an "auk" (a bird) with a parachute;
>there are even T-shirts to corroborate this view.
It was my understanding that this was a BRL localism. I read
the BRL internal AWK reference and heard about more from Steve Wolfe
(bless his networking heart).  Do you have more references on this??

>Gee, isn't this silly.
Heck yeah!

- Andrew Hudson
abh0@gte.com
--
"I remember, darkness doubled,
 I recall, lightning struck itself."

paul@csnz.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (10/27/89)

In article <440@nixba.UUCP> mike@nixba.UUCP (Mike Lyons) writes:
>As you can see from my header, I work here in Germany.  I'm always debating
>with my colleagues over what the "correct" pronunciation for various UNIX
>things are.
I was working in Spain recently with some UNIX people, and this is
some of what I heard:

UNIX:	you - niece	(The X is a sibilant when postfixed)
XENIX:	chen - ees	(X becomes a "ch" sound when prefixed)
vi:	vee		(that's 'i' as in Si)
uucico:	ooh - ooh - thee - tho (that's "th" as in cloth)

--
Paul Gillingwater, Computer Sciences of New Zealand Limited
Domain: paul@csnz.co.nz  Bang: uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!csnz!paul

dmcanzi@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (David Canzi) (10/27/89)

In article <2106@se-sd.NCR.COM> rns@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Rick Schubert) writes:
>Now a real wizard test:
>How do you pronounce Kernighan?

Trick question, right?  People will argue over whether it's pronounced
"kernigan" or "kernihan".  REAL wizards pronounce it as "Brian".
--
David Canzi			"I don't care, I pronounce 'vi' as 'vye'."

andrew@alice.UUCP (Andrew Hume) (10/27/89)

with respects to doug gwyn, there are some improvements that can be made
(we pass over the validity of an australian advising on pronounciations
for americans):

	STOP pronouncing all those vowels!!

thus mkdir is McDir, mknod is McNod, and mk is, of course, Mc.
i never say HUPCL and uucico is u-u-kick-oh.

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (10/27/89)

vi - Our German visitors call it "wee - eye"
_____________________________________
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
I don't speak for LBL, these non-opinions are all mine.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/28/89)

In article <2106@se-sd.NCR.COM> rns@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Rick Schubert) writes:
>Now a real wizard test:
>How do you pronounce Kernighan?

To which a true Wizard properly replies, "Brian".

greywolf@unisoft.UUCP (The Grey Wolf) (10/28/89)

In article <2375@convex.UUCP> tchrist@convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:
>In article <440@nixba.UUCP> mike@nixba.UUCP (Mike Lyons) writes:
[ various pronounciations of UNIX words ... ]

>My basic tendency, and those of most (although not all) around me
>is to say the UNIXism in the easiest possible way, that is, with the
>fewest syllables.  Thus I nearly never spell out a command I could
>otherwise pronounce.  The first three in Mike's list are some of these.
>Yes, and that means I say "vye" as well, but tough noogies.  Paul Dubois
>and I just share that distinctive Madisonian accent.  It's true that
>this introduces an ambiguity with "ex" and "X11", but context always
>seems sufficient to differentiate them.

Usually, the "eleven" on the end differentiates sufficiently.

>|		strrchr = stir - recker

How about "stir-r-care" or "stir-r-char"?

>|		uucico = you - you - kee - ko
>agreed.

I don't know, usually due to the fact that uucico can act strange on
occasion, I call it "you-you-SY-ko" (could be re-spelled "uupsycho")...
>|		HUPCL = hoop - sell

Usually this gets expanded to "hupclose", since that's what it means...

Incidentally, the thread which started this all, namely, "How do you pro-
nounce ''csh''?"...

Ever since I was a wee luser (ages ago), I heard it referred to as "sish".
I have heard people ask me, though, "Do you have kish on board?", and I
tell them, "Oh, yeah, we have sish, kish, teesish, bash, or if you want it,
just plain ol' S-H..."

I get the strangest looks and I have *no* idea why.... %^D

--
"Insane I may be.  I am not stupid."	Antryg Windrose <the mad wizard>

sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher) (10/28/89)

In article <440@nixba.UUCP> mike@nixba.UUCP (Mike Lyons) writes:
>[ I'm already wearing my flame-retardant suit for this one... :-) ]
>
>As you can see from my header, I work here in Germany.  I'm always debating
>with my colleagues over what the "correct" pronunciation for various UNIX
>things are. Here's a short list of the way some things are said here, and I'd
>like some feedback (e-mail of course!! :-) on what the One True Pronunciation
>for each item is:
>
>		awk = a - w - k

I usually hear "awk."
>		ioctl = i - o control

I usually hear "eye-octal."
>		tty  =  t - t - y

I occasionally hear "titty" but usually hear tee tee why.

>		mkdir = m - k - dir

I usually hear "make der."

ok@cs.mu.oz.au (Richard O'Keefe) (10/28/89)

In article <0400.AA0400@dcpc>, dc@dcpc.UUCP (Don Curtis) writes:
> 	The one I want to know is how most folks pronounce "char",
> 	I and most others pronounce it like the first part of
> 	"character" while others pronounce it like the first
> 	part of "charcoal"

If you already know that "most others pronounce ..." then why do you need
to as "how most folks pronounce" it?  It would be extremely surprised if
any significant number of people pronounced "char" like the first syllable
of "character".  It is extremely difficult to pronounce that syllable on
its own.  (The first syllable of "character" does __not__ sound like "care".)

It's worth pointing out that most of the abbreviated keywords in C ('char'
is not a UNIX command, it's a C keyword) are not the first syllables of
their words or not a whole number of syllables of their words.
	cha-rac-ter
	struc-ture
	in-te-ger
  (type)de-fine
	ex-ter-nal
	e-nu-mer-ate
	con-stant
It'd be a bit silly to pronounce "char" like the first syllable of
"character" when it _isn't_ the first syllable of character, wouldn't it?
(To pronounce the first syllable of "character", say "cancel" without
saying "n" or "cel".  Remember to say it _fast_, it's a short stressed
syllable.)

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (10/28/89)

From article <2556@munnari.oz.au>, by ok@cs.mu.oz.au (Richard O'Keefe):
" ...  (The first syllable of "character" does __not__ sound like "care".)

That's true for some English dialects but false for many others.
In my speech, the first syllable of "character" is "char-" and
does sound exactly like "care".

" It's worth pointing out that most of the abbreviated keywords in C ('char'
" is not a UNIX command, it's a C keyword) are not the first syllables of
" their words or not a whole number of syllables of their words.
" 	cha-rac-ter
" 	struc-ture
" 	in-te-ger
"   (type)de-fine
" 	ex-ter-nal
" 	e-nu-mer-ate
" 	con-stant

Except for the case of "de-fine", I believe that these observations
are all incorrect for most varieties of American English.  The
evidence is indirect for most of the cases and would take a while
to discuss, but for the first one, note that "r" is pronounced
with lip-rounding when it is at the beginning of a syllable,
without rounding when it is at the end (most Am. dialects),
and in "character" the first "r" is not rounded.

			Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

samlb@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Sam Bassett RCD) (10/29/89)

In article <2556@munnari.oz.au> ok@cs.mu.oz.au (Richard O'Keefe) writes:
>In article <0400.AA0400@dcpc>, dc@dcpc.UUCP (Don Curtis) writes:
>> 	The one I want to know is how most folks pronounce "char",
>> 	I and most others pronounce it like the first part of
>> 	"character" while others pronounce it like the first
>> 	part of "charcoal"
>(The first syllable of "character" does __not__ sound like "care".)

	It may not in Australia, but in the U.S. it does -- the
syllabification is char-ac-ter, pronounced k@r ak t@r (@ = 'schwa')

>It's worth pointing out that most of the abbreviated keywords in C ('char'
>is not a UNIX command, it's a C keyword) are not the first syllables of
>their words or not a whole number of syllables of their words.
>	struc-ture

	Common U.S. pronunciation is 'strukchur'; over-careful, pedant
pronunciation is 'strukt'yuhr'.

	Nope -- 'int-eh-g@r'

>  (type)de-fine

	I'll buy this pronunciation for 'define', but the word he was
thinking of is pronounced 'def-uh-ni-shun'.

>	ex-ter-nal

	Yup -- but I'll bet he didn't want a digraph, and so used a
trigraph.

>	e-nu-mer-ate

	Nope -- it's 'ee-noom-*rate' in the U.S.  (* sometimes a schwa).

>	con-stant

	Not in the U.S. -- the only thing we pronounce that way is
'Constantinople'.  The most common pronunciation is 'kons-tant'.

Sam'l Bassett, Sterling Software @ NASA Ames Research Center,
Moffett Field CA 94035 Work: (415) 694-4792;  Home: (415) 969-2644
samlb@well.sf.ca.us                     samlb@ames.arc.nasa.gov
<Disclaimer> := 'Sterling doesn't _have_ opinions -- much less NASA!'

ok@cs.mu.oz.au (Richard O'Keefe) (10/29/89)

In article <5267@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) writes:
> From article <2556@munnari.oz.au>, by ok@cs.mu.oz.au (Richard O'Keefe):
> " ...  (The first syllable of "character" does __not__ sound like "care".)

> That's true for some English dialects but false for many others.
> In my speech, the first syllable of "character" is "char-" and
> does sound exactly like "care".

Wierd.  I never heard that when I worked in the US.

[syllabification of C keywords:]
 cha-rac-ter, struc-ture, in-te-ger, (type)de-fine,
 ex-ter-nal, e-nu-mer-ate, con-stant

> Except for the case of "de-fine", I believe that these observations
> are all incorrect for most varieties of American English.

I got my information from the Concise Oxford Dictionary, which claims
to consider American _forms_ but denies reporting American _pronunciation_.

> The evidence is indirect for most of the cases

If these words are divided differently in "most varieties of American
English", it should be possible to provide direct evidence by citing
a standard American dictionary.  For the sake of closing the argument,
let's take the current Webster's as definitive.  (The lip-rounding
thing doesn't agree with my dialect at all, but I'm not American.)

In article <3617@amelia.nas.nasa.gov>, samlb@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Sam Bassett RCD) writes:
> In article <2556@munnari.oz.au> ok@cs.mu.oz.au (Richard O'Keefe) writes:
> >(The first syllable of "character" does __not__ sound like "care".)

> 	It may not in Australia, but in the U.S. it does -- the
> syllabification is char-ac-ter, pronounced k@r ak t@r (@ = 'schwa')

But even in the US, the vowel in "care" is not a schwa; "care" rhymes
with "air".

> >	ex-ter-nal
> Yup -- but I'll bet he didn't want a digraph, and so used a trigraph.

"extern" is hardly a TRIgraph.

>  	cha-rac-ter
>  	struc-ture
>  	in-te-ger
>    (type)de-fine
>  	ex-ter-nal
>  	e-nu-mer-ate
>  	con-stant

	char.ac.ter
	con.stant
	de.fine
	e.nu.mer.ate
	ex.ter.nal
	in.te.ger
	struc.ture
			-- The American Heritage Dictionary

You missed one. Ironically, it's the very one that started this whole thread.
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter@ficc.uu.net> <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.
 'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.

frank@zen.co.uk (Frank Wales) (10/29/89)

On this naming business, I had a theory years ago that the names of
the editors ex, vi and sed were a pun on the notion that they were the
last words in editing: hence the pronunciation of their names as sounding
like the last letters of the alphabet (needs an English accent to work).
Consequently, my normal pronunciations of them are: eks, vy and sehd.
Isn't logic wonderful, especially when it's wrong?

Some other local "sayings":

        MS-DOS            Domesdos  (something we put down toilets here)
        FIONREAD          eff-eye-oh-en-read (logical); fyonread (quick)
        FIOGSAIOOWN       huh?

In article <2106@se-sd.NCR.COM> rns@se-sd.NCR.COM (Rick Schubert) writes:
>Now a real wizard test: How do you pronounce Kernighan?

"Sir."

Now, how do you pronounce Knuth?
--
Frank Wales, Systems Manager,        [frank@zen.co.uk<->mcvax!zen.co.uk!frank]
Zengrange Ltd., Greenfield Rd., Leeds, ENGLAND, LS9 8DB. (+44) 532 489048 x217

mcgrath@paris.Berkeley.EDU (Roland McGrath) (10/30/89)

In article <2002@zen.co.uk> frank@zen.co.uk (Frank Wales) writes:

   the editors ex, vi and sed were a pun on the notion that they were the
   last words in editing: hence the pronunciation of their names as sounding
   like the last letters of the alphabet (needs an English accent to work).
   Consequently, my normal pronunciations of them are: eks, vy and sehd.
   Isn't logic wonderful, especially when it's wrong?

Especially when its foundations are wrong.  ex, vi, and sed were written by
Americans, who pronounce the the final three letters of the alphabet eks, why,
zee.

   Some other local "sayings":

	   MS-DOS            Domesdos  (something we put down toilets here)

Mess-Dos and MS-Dog are common deregatory versions.

   Now, how do you pronounce Knuth?

The real answer is that you *do* pronounce the K (k-nooth).
The facetious answer is, of course, "Don".
--
	Roland McGrath
	Free Software Foundation, Inc.

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (10/30/89)

-        MS-DOS            Domesdos  (something we put down toilets here)

Also "mushdos", sometimes "raw hardware", often "%*%^@&^@*!!!!"

-Now, how do you pronounce Knuth?

"Who?"
(-: following a different thread in some other group :-)

mitch@arcturus.UUCP (Mitchell S. Gorman) (11/15/89)

hulsebos@ehvie0.tq.ine.philips.nl (rob hulsebos) writes:

>In article <0400.AA0400@dcpc> dc@dcpc.UUCP (Don Curtis) writes:

>Since we're now going to C, I would be interested to know how others
>pronounce hexadecimal numbers like "0xFEB2".
>Most people I know just spell it "f-e-b-two". But why not pronounce it
>like any other number "f-thousand e-hundred and b-ty two".
>Or "F00" something like "f-teen hundred".

	Because it breaks down on a very simple example:

		0xa5

	"A-ty five"???  I don't think so.  :^)

	Mitch (@arcturus.uucp)

HARDLY what ANYONE would call a unix.wizard, I've even stunned _myself_
with my temerity at posting here!!  :^):^):^)

szirin@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (seth.zirin) (11/18/89)

>Since we're now going to C, I would be interested to know how others
>pronounce hexadecimal numbers like "0xFEB2".
>Most people I know just spell it "f-e-b-two". But why not pronounce it
>like any other number "f-thousand e-hundred and b-ty two".
>Or "F00" something like "f-teen hundred".

Grumble.  You really meant f-fortyninetysix, e-twofiftysix, b-sixteen, two.
Remember:

f star 0d1000 + e star 0d256 + b star 0d16 + 2 bang equal 0xfeb2 BANG.

Gee, maybe '*' should be pronounced "times" and '!' pronounced "not"...

AGRISCS@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Don Ingli) (11/19/89)

As a general rule of thumb:

  bef0  is be e ef zero....
  VI is vee eye
  * star
  char   is char....

  REMEMBER: most of the worlds best programmers are also kinda lazy as in
            pronunciations.  Also take a look at unix  LS  why not LIST,
            PR  why not PRINT,  LP  why not LINEPRINT???  It seems to me
            that the computing world wants quick and easy commands and the
            computing world wants quick and easy pronunciations.

  Thats my  $.02 (pronounced 2 cents) worth....

+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+
|  DON INGLI                                                           |
|  UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE - SOIL CONSERVATION SERVICE |
|  WORK: (314) 875-5344      FAX: (314) 875-5335                       |
| bitnet: agriscs@umcvmb.bitnet  internet: agriscs@umcvmb.missouri.edu |
| attmail: attmail!attbl!arpa!umcvmb.missouri.edu!agriscs              |
| ALL OPINIONS IN THIS NOTE ARE OF MY OWN AND DO NOT REPRESENT THE     |
| FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OR THE UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI-COLUMBIA            |
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+

jerry@altos86.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) (11/21/89)

In article <21489@adm.BRL.MIL> AGRISCS@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Don Ingli) writes:

}  REMEMBER: most of the worlds best programmers are also kinda lazy as in
}            pronunciations.  Also take a look at unix  LS  why not LIST,
}            PR  why not PRINT,  LP  why not LINEPRINT???  It seems to me
}            that the computing world wants quick and easy commands and the
}            computing world wants quick and easy pronunciations.
}

The first UNIX systems used 110 buad mechanical teletypes as input devices.
This is the real reason why UNIX commands are typically short.  Would you
want to type "lineprint" on one of those beasts when you could type "lp"?

--
Jerry Gardner, NJ6A					Altos Computer Systems
UUCP: {sun|pyramid|sco|amdahl|uunet}!altos86!jerry	2641 Orchard Parkway

peralta@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Rick Peralta) (11/24/89)

In article <21489@adm.BRL.MIL> AGRISCS@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Don Ingli) writes:

>  REMEMBER: most of the worlds best programmers are also kinda lazy as in

I prefer efficient, concise, succinct even laconic, but not *lazy*.

 - Rick (Lazy is when the yard work is overdue... ;^)"