[comp.unix.wizards] Real Time UNIX

REILLY@wharton.upenn.edu (04/06/88)

I'm looking for a real time UNIX box to take in
serial input from 3 IBM PC's at 1000 bits/s, and
input from another device (not serial, to be
determined) at 1.2 E 6 bits/s, and then write
all this data in real time to a tape (possibly
a Digidata drive, which support 1.2Mbytes/s)

Any directions would be most appreciated.

dave@riacs.edu (Dave Gehrt) (04/06/88)

In article <12825@brl-adm.ARPA> REILLY@wharton.upenn.edu writes:
>I'm looking for a real time UNIX box...

There was an outfit in San Diego called Alcyon, sorry but I have no phone
number for them, who were the developers of REGULUS, which is a Unix like
operating system with some real time extensions.  I used this operating
system, but not for real real time, and it was OK.  The box (*not* an Alcyon
box) on which I used REGULUS had problems (not enough memory and a 68000 SBC)
which made the system more difficult to use than Unix.  Alcyon makes (or did
make) a VME system with REGULUS on it.

I seem to recall that at one time there was talk of AT&T annointing REGULUS as
a real time Unix.  REGULUS provides the capability to hook a user process to
an interrupt, and a couple of other system calls to support real time
operations.

Hpe this helps,
dave

lm@arizona.edu (Larry McVoy) (04/06/88)

In article <765@hydra.riacs.edu> dave@hydra.riacs.edu.UUCP (Dave Gehrt) writes:
>In article <12825@brl-adm.ARPA> REILLY@wharton.upenn.edu writes:
>>I'm looking for a real time UNIX box...
>
>There was an outfit in San Diego called Alcyon, sorry but I have no phone
>number for them, who were the developers of REGULUS, which is a Unix like
>operating system with some real time extensions.

If I'm not mistaken I played with regulus a long time ago.  My opinion is
that you would be better off with Masscomp boxes.  They have a real unix
environment (sys V and BSD universes - someone else does this too - and
can stream 5 megs / sec to disk - can't remember if it's bits or bytes).
--
"These aren't my thoughts, they're my cat walking on the keyboard."

Larry McVoy	lm@arizona.edu or ...!{uwvax,sun}!arizona.edu!lm

decot@hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) (04/07/88)

Hewlett-Packard offers a broad range of technical systems which run HP-UX, a
version of UNIX conforming to Version 3 of AT&T's System V Verification Suite
(SVVS) that verifies conformance to the System V Interface Definition (SVID).

HP-UX also includes most of the important 4.2BSD features (such as vi, csh,
Berkeley-based kernel and fast file system, job control, rlogin, rcp,
ARPA networking (TCP/IP), sockets), many defacto standards (such as NFS,
ksh, kermit, etc.), plus many HP enhancements.

The HP enhancements for real-time include the following:

	Non-degrading process priorities
	Kernel is pre-emptable by high-priority user processes
	Virtual, real, and user interval timers
	Reliable signal mechanism based on that of 4.2BSD
	Multiplexed I/O arbitration based on that in 4.2BSD
	Locking of processes or parts of processes in physical memory
	Pre-allocation of disc space for important files

For more specific detail and up-to-date pricing information, please
write to me, or call 800-752-0900 for the location of the nearest
HP sales office.

Dave Decot
hpda!decot
Hewlett-Packard Company
Cupertino, CA  94087

--------
Disclaimer: This message is for informative purposes only and does not
constitute an official HP product offering.

Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T.
Copyright (c) 1986, 1987, 1988 HP

dalesys@lamont.Columbia.edu (dale chayes) (04/08/88)

We have been routinely running a realtime acq with about a dozen
active serial lines comming from all kinds of odd ball devices
(most of which we have no controll over data formats) into
a Masscomp 5400 with no complaints.

Masscomp's RTU allows more control over real time processes than
most other variants of unix while at the same time preserveing
a reasonable approximation to BSD and SYSV unicies.

Dale Chayes Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory of Columbia University
usmail: Route 9W, Palisades, N.Y.  10964
voice:	(914) 359-2900 extension 434	fax: (914) 359-6817
usnet:	...philabs!lamont!dale
--
Dale Chayes Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory of Columbia University
usmail: Route 9W, Palisades, N.Y.  10964
voice:	(914) 359-2900 extension 434	fax: (914) 359-6817
usnet:	...philabs!lamont!dale

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (04/10/88)

I have recently completed an application using UNIX on a MULTIBUS
II 386 system (note that these boxes tend to be a bit expensive as
there aren't a lot out there yet).  I read from a dataloggin recorder
that drops 32K blocks on me every tenth of a second (and can't reposition
so I have to pick them up) and write them to a Storage Tek 6250 tapdrive
(I hate Digidata).  Multibus II is fun for this type of application.
The use of the Ciprico tape controller makes life fun because I can
just throw the received 32K blocks at it and let it run the tapedrive.
Unlike a normal UNIX device driver the Ciprico has no queue of I/O's
in the driver.  You just keep chucking the MBII messages at it and it
will send you back the answers when it is done.

-Ron

lynn@engr.uky.edu (H. Lynn Tilley) (04/12/88)

In article <479@clipper.lamont.Columbia.edu> dalesys@lamont.Columbia.edu (dale chayes) writes:

>Masscomp's RTU allows more control over real time processes than
>most other variants of unix while at the same time preserveing
>a reasonable approximation to BSD and SYSV unicies.

	I would be interested in any comments about Harris Corp. HS/UX
	which is another real-time UNIX.  Harris has a specific bus
	they use for realtime data acquisition on their UNIX box and
	I know that General Dynamics is very heavy into Harris equipment
	on the F-16 production line (probably the old H1000/800 line).
	I am most interested in the small Harris stations and the MCX line,
	but any comments on the hcx line would be welcome also. We have
	one of the first hcx-7s here, they are great machines but we have
	done absolutely zero realtime stuff with it.  Also, how does this
	compare to HPs stuff (from what I have seen HP does all their realtime
	control/acquisition using realtime independent controllers).  Any
	thought or comments would be appreciated.

--
    V   Engineering Computer Center     BITNET: lynn%ukecc.uucp@ukma
    O   voice: (606) 257-1752           ARPANET: lynn@a.ecc.engr.uky.edu

preece%fang@xenurus.gould.com (Scott E. Preece) (04/12/88)

  From: REILLY@wharton.upenn.edu
> I'm looking for a real time UNIX box to take in
> serial input from 3 IBM PC's at 1000 bits/s, and
> input from another device (not serial, to be
> determined) at 1.2 E 6 bits/s, and then write
> all this data in real time to a tape (possibly
> a Digidata drive, which support 1.2Mbytes/s)
----------
Gould has recently added a number of specifically real-time features to
its UTX/32 operating system (which provides both BSD and System V
environments).

The new features include connected interrupts (user-level routines
entered directly in interrupt context or through signals triggered by
hardware interrupts), a cyclic scheduler (good for polling things),
real-time scheduling priorities (FIFO, fixed priorities higher than the
normal Unix priorities), and a direct i/o facility that lets you
construct and execute i/o commands for special devices with very little
OS involvement).  There is also a hardware privilege mode, which allows
user programs to execute i/o instructions directly.

--
scott preece
gould/csd - urbana

verber@apatosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark Verber) (04/13/88)

I won't swear to it but... I would bet that the Harris HS/UX is the
same as the Realtime UNIX from Masscomp.  A while ago Harris send our
department a "Harris Workstation" which seems to be a Masscomp with a
Harris label.

Cheers,
Computer Science Department			         Mark A. Verber
The Ohio State University		  verber@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
+1 (614) 292-7344				  cbosgd!osu-cis!verber

limes@sun.uucp (Greg Limes) (04/13/88)

In article <10337@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, verber@apatosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark Verber) writes:
> I won't swear to it but... I would bet that the Harris HS/UX is the
> same as the Realtime UNIX from Masscomp.

I will swear to it. In a previous incarnation, I had the task of
upgrading a Masscomp machine from RTU3.1b to RTU3.1c; since the task had
been sitting around, there were two dusty upgrade disks. Guess what, one
was from Masscomp and the other from Harris. Binary compares on the
information showed differences only in the *COPYRIGHT* notices, even in
the binaries; the word "Masscomp" was simply replaced with " Harris ".

-- Greg Limes [limes@sun.com]

haral@unisol.UUCP (Haral Tsitsivas) (04/16/88)

In article <49277@sun.uucp> limes@sun.uucp (Greg Limes) writes:
>In article <10337@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, verber@apatosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark Verber) writes:
>> I won't swear to it but... I would bet that the Harris HS/UX is the
>> same as the Realtime UNIX from Masscomp.
>
>I will swear to it...

Yes, It is true that the Harris MCX workstations are (OEM'd) Masscomp
workstations.  However, the Harris HCX line is engineered by Harris and
run a hybrid System V/4.2 BSD port (they retained the nice features out
of BSD).  I also thought that they also OEM'd some CCI gear but I don't
remember their model numbers...

--Haral Tsitsivas
  UniSolutions Associates
  (213) 641-6739
  ...!uunet!scgvaxd!ashtate!unisol!haral

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (10/16/89)

In article <21153@adm.BRL.MIL> Kemp@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL writes:
>Doug Gwyn writes:
> >     Need guaranteed real-time response for certain processes.
>
>Gee Doug, how do you do that one, other than running under Masscomp's
>Real-Time Unix or using a slave processor with something like VRTX or
>VX/Works?

I was under the impression there was a real-time UNIX from AT&T
as I saw references to UNIX/RT ages ago.  I can't imagine AT&T
dumping something useful.  [ Then again ... ]

Also, I saw references to MERT in the 1978 BSTJ UNIX edition.
Isn't this available for hosting real-time UNIX implementations?

>Or by "real-time" do you mean "anything under 10,000 usec"?  :-)

Easy.

Buy a TIMEX Sinclair. ;-)

--

It is very worth pointing out that Plexus used UNIX kernels on
their serial I/O processor cards.  I don't know if anyone from

ka@cs.washington.edu (Kenneth Almquist) (10/17/89)

> In article <21153@adm.BRL.MIL> Kemp@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL writes:
>> Or by "real-time" do you mean "anything under 10,000 usec"?  :-)

In case anyone is confused by this: "real time response" does not
mean "fast response"; it means "response within a certain time bound."

The time bounds for the UUCP communication protocol, for example, are
measured in seconds.  This means that under standard UNIX, which does
not do real time scheduling, UUCP will not work under certain types of
heavy loads.  Real time applications are more likely to have time
bounds measured in milliseconds or microseconds, but they don't have
to.

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
> I was under the impression there was a real-time UNIX from AT&T
> as I saw references to UNIX/RT ages ago.
>
> Also, I saw references to MERT in the 1978 BSTJ UNIX edition.
> Isn't this available for hosting real-time UNIX implementations?

MERT stands for "Multi-Environment Real Time".  UNIX/RT is just a
later name for the same system.  MERT was a structured operating
system, in contrast to UNIX, where the kernel was one big blob.

It was an interesting system, but not exceptionally good for real time
work (despite the name).  You could write kernel processes, which were
similar to UNIX device drivers.  You could also write supervisor/user
processes, which are similar to UNIX processes.  A supervisor/user
process had a supervisor address space and a user address space.  To
run a UNIX program, you placed a UNIX emulator in the supervisor
address space of a process and the UNIX program in the user space.

Getting real time performance out of a kernel process was very
similar to getting it out of a UNIX device driver.  To get real time
performance out of a supervisor/user process, you had to deal with two
issues:

First, the scheduler had to select the right process.  The priority
of most MERT processes changed based upon factors such as CPU usage.
However, you could set processes to a fixed high priority.  You could
not request anything like deadline scheduling.  Priority scheduling is
adequate for many real time applications, but the programmer has to
determine what the priorities should be, and there are situations
that deadline scheduling will handle that priority scheduling cannot.

Second, once the scheduler selected the right process it had to start
the process running.  The UNIX emulator avoided concurrent accesses
to data structures by inhibiting context switches during system calls
(except when the system call explicitly blocked).  This meant that if
you used the UNIX emulator, you had to add the execution time of the
longest system call to the basic context switch time.  In addition,
if your process was swapped out when the scheduler selected it, the
process would have to be swapped in.  MERT allowed you avoid this by
locking your process in memory.

MERT support for the PDP-11 was dropped primarily because if you
wanted to run UNIX processes, native UNIX was faster.  A variant of
MERT called DMERT runs on AT&T's 3B20 Duplex machines.  MERT was never
ported to any other machines.  System V picked up the process locking
feature (see plock(2)) but not the fixed process priorities.
				Kenneth Almquist

news@bbn.COM (News system owner ID) (10/17/89)

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
< It is very worth pointing out that Plexus used UNIX kernels on
< their serial I/O processor cards.  I don't know if anyone from
< Plexus [ is there still a Plexus??? ] is listening and has any
< info on that implementation.

Oooooo Ick!  That must have been a mistake.

Since I'm fairly new (I started by playing with 4.1 BSD), I'll ask a
few of the old(er)-timers out there: has there ever been a UNIX serial
driver that worked right?

What I (personally) want to see is something that will do some version
of the normal cooked vs. not processing (pref. designed to be
configurable, like Sys V's, rather than hacked, like Berkeley's), will
actually _do_ hardware flow control, correct modem control, sync, and
async if the hardware can (without reconfiguring the kernal to do so),
and is eficient enough to handle sustained input at 38.4Kbps (if the
system has a DMA serial board).  It should also handle non-blocking
I/O, and deliver SIGIOs, if asked.  And the user should be able to
tell it to allocate bigger, smaller, default, etc. amounts of input
buffer storage.

Yes, the 38.4Kbps and flow control, etc. are highly dependant on the
hardware, but in the "newer" UNIXen, on machines with perfectly
capable hardware, getting this all to work for a user-level process is
like pulling teeth (or just plain imposible).

Show me all this, and I will show you a happy serial I/O hack indeed.
The current ones are set up for the special case of talking to an
ordinary terminal.  Unfortunately, there are much more things that can
be done with a serial line...

		-- Paul Placeway <PPlaceway@bbn.com>

der@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (david.e.rorke) (10/21/89)

In article <9509@june.cs.washington.edu>, ka@cs.washington.edu (Kenneth Almquist) writes:

> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
> > I was under the impression there was a real-time UNIX from AT&T
> > as I saw references to UNIX/RT ages ago.
> >
> > Also, I saw references to MERT in the 1978 BSTJ UNIX edition.
> > Isn't this available for hosting real-time UNIX implementations?
>
> MERT stands for "Multi-Environment Real Time".  UNIX/RT is just a
> later name for the same system.  MERT was a structured operating
> system, in contrast to UNIX, where the kernel was one big blob.
>	.
> 	.
> 	.
> MERT support for the PDP-11 was dropped primarily because if you
> wanted to run UNIX processes, native UNIX was faster.  A variant of
> MERT called DMERT runs on AT&T's 3B20 Duplex machines.  MERT was never
> ported to any other machines.  System V picked up the process locking
> feature (see plock(2)) but not the fixed process priorities.
> 				Kenneth Almquist

Real time scheduling is available (or will be in a couple weeks)
in System V Release 4.0.  The SVR4.0 process scheduler supports
multiple concurrent scheduling policies through a switch mechanism
(somewhat like the file system switch).

Time sharing and real time policies are provided with SVR4.0 and
the interface between generic and policy specific scheduling code
is well defined to facilitate development of additional policies
(although AT&T is not currently promising to support this kernel
interface unchanged in future releases).

The real time policy provides priority scheduling where the priority
is completely controlled by the user level application.  Preemption
points have been added into long code paths in the kernel to reduce
the delay to a high priority real time process which becomes runnable
while a lower priority process is running in the kernel.

Dave Rorke
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Summit, NJ
att!attunix!der
201-522-6025

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (10/22/89)

der@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (david.e.rorke) <2396@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> :
-
-Real time scheduling is available (or will be in a couple weeks)

I LOVE it!

vic@zen.co.uk (Victor Gavin) (10/23/89)

In article <28256@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) writes:
>der@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (david.e.rorke) <2396@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> :
>-
>-Real time scheduling is available (or will be in a couple weeks)
>
>I LOVE it!

Huh??

AT&T have only *just* got around to adding Real Time to their kernel??

How do you poor people cope :-)

Most of the big boys haven't waited for AT&T, they've seen the need and done
the job. HP have had it on their 800 series since the very beginning (about 2
and a half years ago!)

And they wonder why the Open Software Foundation was set up :-)

			vic

andyc@hpopd.HP.COM (Andrew Cunningham) (10/25/89)

/ hpopd:comp.unix.wizards / bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) /  5:02 pm  Oct 19, 1989 /
> level of the individual with respect ot their UNIX knowledge.
> ie:  NOVICE:
>      Calls vi vye
>      etc

>I have *never* heard *anyone* call "vi" vee-eye.  Including wizards.

How you pronounce /usr/ucb/vi (or /usr/bin/vi, if you have HP-UX
or some similar system)  depends less upon how long you've used UNIX
and more on who taught it.  I call it lots of things, none
of which begin with `v'......
:-)

DISCLAIMER: I am not speaking as an employee of Hewlett-Packard.
Andrew Cunningham, HP Software Engineering Systems Division, Pinewood
E-mail:      andyc@hpopd.HP.COM               hplabs!hpopd!andyc

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (10/25/89)

Around here, people who call it 'vye' are the secretaries, undergrads,
and VMS administrators.  The wizards call it 'vee-eye'.

HP-UX is 'hockey-pucks'.  Or 'hockey-pukes'.  The first tends to
degrade into the latter the longer you work on it.
	- Brian

jerry@altos86.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) (10/26/89)

In article <10072@ucsd.Edu> brian@ucsd.edu (Brian Kantor) writes:
>Around here, people who call it 'vye' are the secretaries, undergrads,
>and VMS administrators.  The wizards call it 'vee-eye'.

I call it 'trash'.

--
Jerry Gardner, NJ6A					Altos Computer Systems
UUCP: {sun|pyramid|sco|amdahl|uunet}!altos86!jerry	2641 Orchard Parkway

dtynan@altos86.Altos.COM (Dermot Tynan) (10/27/89)

In article <3709@altos86.Altos.COM>, jerry@altos86.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) writes:
> In article <10072@ucsd.Edu> brian@ucsd.edu (Brian Kantor) writes:
> >  The wizards call it 'vee-eye'.
>
> I call it 'trash'.
> Jerry Gardner, NJ6A					Altos Computer Systems

This is the same guy who admitted to having a 25Mhz / 24Megabyte Altos-2000
in his office as a "personal" system.  You can *afford* to run emacs.
You're probably the first person in history to *ever* have all of emacs
in core, at the same instant in time!!?!  Sorry, Jerry, couldn't resist :)
						- Der
--
	dtynan@altos86.Altos.COM		(408) 946-6700 x4237
	Dermot Tynan,  Altos Computer Systems,  San Jose, CA   95134

    "Far and few, far and few, are the lands where the Jumblies live..."

es@sinix.UUCP (Dr. Sanio) (11/09/89)

In article <2808@convex.UUCP> thurlow@convex.com (Robert Thurlow) writes:
>doug@herbert.uucp (Doug Phillipson 5-0134) writes:
> [ .. stuff about vi .. ]
PLEASE, don't restart editor wars in this group. Usenet oldies may tell
how many times it has been led up to now (100 or more?). It always starts
the same way: somebody posting "I hate $THATEDITOR, only $MYEDITOR is accep-
table" , then reply "O that shit $MYEDITOR .." etc etc . If I had the $$ that
costed since the beginning of usenet, I would be a rich man.
So, be merciful, just STOP IT .
thanx, es

pechter@ocpt.ccur.com (Bill Pechter <pechter>) (11/12/89)

In article <2808@convex.UUCP>, thurlow@convex.com (Robert Thurlow) writes:
> doug@herbert.uucp (Doug Phillipson 5-0134) writes:
> >People say that vi is expert friendly but it is no harder to learn
> >than WordPerfect.

Word Perfect is one of the hardest PC editors to learn.  It's certainly
a bad example if you're trying to prove your point.

> I use 'vi' daily, and while I won't be without it and don't care much
> for most Emacsen, I'll never say 'vi' is easy to learn.  I've just
> watched too many people struggle with it.  It's not so bad if you have
> a good model of what an editor does, and just need to pick up the ways
> THIS editor does things, but it's a fright to a novice.  Of course, it
> *is* a programmers editor ...
>
> I'd love an inteface more like WPS on the old PDP-8 - it worked much
> better.  EDT and LSE were one of the easier things to pick up when I
> did a VAX/VMS project awhile ago ...

Agreed.  WordStar, EDT and Ked fall short on some things -- but all
are easier to learn than vi.  I'm going to get Small-EDT up on
my Unix boxes as soon as I can get the code moved from MS-DOS.

The one good thing about vi is (like edlin on MS-DOS) is it's a standard
across the Unix arena and it will let you work immediately on any
machine running Unix.

Bill
--
Bill Pechter -- Home - 103 Governors Road, Lakewood, NJ 08701 (201)370-0709
Work -- Concurrent Computer Corp., 2 Crescent Pl, MS 172, Oceanport,NJ 07757

sean@cadre.dsl.pitt.edu (Sean McLinden) (11/25/89)

In article <17@ocpt.ccur.com> pechter@ocpt.ccur.com (Bill Pechter <pechter>) writes:
>The one good thing about vi is (like edlin on MS-DOS) is it's a standard
>across the Unix arena and it will let you work immediately on any
>machine running Unix.

So is Morse Code but you wouldn't want to have to communicate with it!