[comp.unix.wizards] How do you tell a wizard?

nall@loligo.cc.fsu.edu (John Nall) (09/28/89)

(Disclaimer:  This sounds like a joke.  Please be
assured that it is not).

We are an organization that has only recently moved
to Unix.  Due to events beyond our control (i.e., the
decision by Control Data to dissolve ETA Systems) we
are quickly having to acquire local Unix expertise.  I
am charged with hiring a few "Unix wizards".  But I
don't know how in the $%%#^% to tell one, since there
is no one locally who qualifies, and God knows that I
don't!  I suppose I could ask all the questions that are
in the "list of frequently asked Unix questions" and if
they flunked THAT, then they don't qualify.

Any suggestions?  Please e-mail, and I promise not to
summarize (although it might be entertaining for this
group).

John Nall                              Internet:  nall@nu.cs.fsu.edu
Computer Science Department            Florida State University
    "Today, a Moon Moth -- tomorrow, a Sea Dragon Conquerer!!"

jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) (10/11/89)

In article <219@vsserv.scri.fsu.edu>, nall@loligo.cc.fsu.edu (John Nall) writes:

> I am charged with hiring a few "Unix wizards".  But I
> don't know how in the $%%#^% to tell one, since there
> is no one locally who qualifies, and God knows that I
> don't!  I suppose I could ask all the questions that are
> in the "list of frequently asked Unix questions" and if
> they flunked THAT, then they don't qualify.

Some time ago, I ran across the advice that the best way to determine
whether someone was really an expert was to ask any reasonably complex
question, and if the answer starts with "That depends...", then you
know you have an expert.

Since then, I've discovered that this is only partially facetious.  While
not true itself, the inverse has a great deal of truth.  You see, there's
a general phomenon that, when people are trying to pretend to expertise,
they usually make the mistake of trying to give quick, definitive answers.
Most people think that this is a sign of thorough knowledge of a subject.
In fact, as various sages throughout history have observed, one of the
things known by a true expert is how much more there is to learn, and
how complicated the subject truly is.

Anyhow, I always try to start answers with "That depends...".   (;-)

--
#echo 'Opinions Copyright 1989 by John Chambers; for licensing information contact:'
echo '	John Chambers <{adelie,ima,mit-eddie}!minya!{jc,root}> (617/484-6393)'

rick@uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams) (10/12/89)

Another interesting observation on spotting wizards is:

	If they call themselves a wizard (especially on a business
	card or resume) they are not.

	The true wizards never call themselves wizard/guru. They dont have
	to.

	(Unfortunately, there are a hell of a lot of people that think
	that because they installed unix on a pc or a sun workstation
	they are automatically wizards.)

---rick

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (10/12/89)

From article <69985@uunet.UU.NET>, by rick@uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams):
> 	The true wizards never call themselves wizard/guru. They dont have
> 	to.

Nor do they want to, because then members of the dread species "user"
would ask them questions, decreasing the time they get to spend
programming!

Paul DuBois
stewed-monkey-heads@primate.wisc.edu

scott@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Scott Hazen Mueller) (10/13/89)

foo() {FILE *wizard; tell(wizard); }
--
Scott Hazen Mueller| scott@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (ames|pyramid|vsi1)!zorch!scott
685 Balfour Drive  | (408) 298-6213   |Mail to fusion-request@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (10/13/89)

In article <917@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> scott@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Scott Hazen Mueller) writes:
>foo() {FILE *wizard; tell(wizard); }

WRONG.

foo() { FILE *wizard; ftell (wizard); }

My contribution to the discussion - Real UNIX Wizards(TM) recite
source code, including line number and file name.  Frequently they
will tell you what they were thinking when they wrote the code.

And if they didn't write the code themselves, they know who did
and have their phone number and email address.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +-Things you didn't want to know:------
VoiceNet: (512) 832-8832   Data: -8835  | The real meaning of MACH is ...

kilroy@mimsy.UUCP (Overworked & Underpaid) (10/13/89)

In article <31@minya.UUCP>, in response to a question about determining a
`Unix Wizard', jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:

>[T]o determine whether someone was really an expert [...] ask any reasonably
>complex question, and if the answer starts with "That depends...", then you
>know you have an expert.  [...]  You see, there's a general phomenon that,
>when people are trying to pretend to expertise, they usually make the
>mistake of trying to give quick, definitive answers.

Isn't it interesting to note that John tries to give a quick, definitive
answer here?

8^)

As he pointed out, the heuristic isn't perfect:  I do not recall *ever*
hearing Chris Torek start an answer with `that depends', unless it was
a question about where to have dinner...

kilroy@cs.umd.edu          Darren F. Provine          ...uunet!mimsy!kilroy
"The best speech is what is short and reasonable."
				Ali ibn-abu-Talib, cit. from Ali the Caliph

terryl@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM (10/14/89)

In article <69985@uunet.UU.NET> rick@uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams) writes:
>Another interesting observation on spotting wizards is:
>
>	If they call themselves a wizard (especially on a business
>	card or resume) they are not.
>
>	The true wizards never call themselves wizard/guru. They dont have
>	to.

     And you want to know why??? If that information gets out (that so-and-so
is a wizard), then said wizard never gets any REAL work done because naive users
keeps bothering said wizard with all sorts of stupid questions that could have
been answered if they had just read the man page.....

>	(Unfortunately, there are a hell of a lot of people that think
>	that because they installed unix on a pc or a sun workstation
>	they are automatically wizards.)

     Well, I don't have any experience with this, so I can't comment on it...

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/14/89)

I think one way to spot wizards if you aren't one is to pose some
practical problems for them to solve and see what they come up with.

Examples:
	Need to control access to "public" resources such as magtape
	to prevent users getting in each others' way.

	Need to locate source for X Windows.

	Need guaranteed real-time response for certain processes.

If you basically understand UNIX and Kernighan&Pike's book, you should
be able to evaluate proposed solutions for
	correctness
	completeness
	implementability
	elegance
Not every true "wizard" will perform perfectly on all such problems,
but anyone who can't come up with reasonable responses to ANY of them
is clearly not a wizard.

Kemp@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (10/16/89)

Doug Gwyn writes:
 > I think one way to spot wizards if you aren't one is to pose some
 > practical problems for them to solve and see what they come up with.
 >
 > Examples:
 > [...]
 >     Need guaranteed real-time response for certain processes.

Gee Doug, how do you do that one, other than running under Masscomp's
Real-Time Unix or using a slave processor with something like VRTX or
VX/Works?

Or by "real-time" do you mean "anything under 10,000 usec"?  :-)

  Dave Kemp  <Kemp@dockmaster.ncsc.mil>

bzs@cs.bu.edu (Barry Shein) (10/16/89)

> >     Need guaranteed real-time response for certain processes.
>
>Gee Doug, how do you do that one, other than running under Masscomp's
>Real-Time Unix or using a slave processor with something like VRTX or
>VX/Works?
>
>Or by "real-time" do you mean "anything under 10,000 usec"?  :-)
>
>  Dave Kemp  <Kemp@dockmaster.ncsc.mil>

Gee, I thought the right answer was "you can't" unless (add in your
caveats and the possibility of hacking your own kernel.)

Maybe that was the answer Doug was looking for?

How do you tell a wizard? If you have to ask you can't afford it.

	-Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die, Purveyors to the Trade
1330 Beacon Street, Brookline, MA 02146, (617) 739-0202
Internet: bzs@world.std.com
UUCP:     encore!xylogics!world!bzs or uunet!world!bzs

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (10/16/89)

In article <17131@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
|And if they didn't write the code themselves, they know who did
|and have their phone number and email address.

What's a phone?  Does it have a keyboard?  Then what good is it?

jim frost
madd@std.com

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/16/89)

In article <21153@adm.BRL.MIL> Kemp@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL writes:
>Doug Gwyn writes:
> > Examples:
> > [...]
> >     Need guaranteed real-time response for certain processes.
>Gee Doug, how do you do that one, other than running under Masscomp's
>Real-Time Unix or using a slave processor with something like VRTX or
>VX/Works?

I told you it was a wizard question!

Actually, when John Quarterman and I worked for Geotronics (something
he may not admit to!), we had to solve exactly this problem.
Fortunately we were UNIX wizards, or something close.

gilgut@cg-atla.UUCP (S. P. Gilgut) (10/16/89)

In article <4846@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM> terryl@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM writes:
>In article <69985@uunet.UU.NET> rick@uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams) writes:
>>Another interesting observation on spotting wizards is:
><stuff deleted>
>>	(Unfortunately, there are a hell of a lot of people that think
>>	that because they installed unix on a pc or a sun workstation
>>	they are automatically wizards.)
>
>     Well, I don't have any experience with this, so I can't comment on it...

Ahh - Real Wizards *don't* do PCs!

--
S. P. Gilgut, Agfa Compugraphic Div; Wilmington, Mass. (508)658-5600 X5277
{uunet!ginosko,decvax}!cg-atla!gilgut     (Work) R & D Computer Center

In article <40457@bu-cs.BU.EDU> madd@cs.bu.edu (Jim Frost) writes:
>In article <17131@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>|And if they didn't write the code themselves, they know who did
>|and have their phone number and email address.
>
>What's a phone?  Does it have a keyboard?  Then what good is it?

This one does:

    Script started on Mon Oct 16 10:00:24 1989
    subwhat? cu 3539601
    /dev/modem: No such file or directory
    link down
    subwhat?
    script done on Mon Oct 16 10:00:36 1989

Uh, well, er -- Nynex!  The Nynex strike thing has
got it all, er, plugged up with extra bytes...yeah, that's it..

				--Blair
				  "...that depends on the ticket..."

gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) (10/16/89)

     From "Kernel Structure and Flow", prepared by Bill Rieken and Jim Web
  of .sh conusulting inc. (a seminar notebook), the inside front cover:

     (Definitions for beginner, novice, user, knowlegable user, expert
   and hacker omited )

    Guru:
      - users m4 and lex with comfort          - can answer any Unix question
      - writes assembly code with 'cat >'        after a little thought
      - uses adb on the kernel while system    - uses make for anything that
        is loaded.                               requires two or more distinct
      - customizes utilities by patching         commands to achieve
        the source.                            - has learned how to breach
      - reads device driver source with          security, but no longer needs
        his breakfast.                           to try.

    Wizard:
       - writes device drivers with 'cat >'    - writes his own troff macro
       - fixes bugs by patching the binaries.     packages
       - can answer any question before        - is on first-name basis with
         you ask.                                Dennis, Bill, and Ken.

  Disclaimer: This material was in no way representable of the course
              material. :-)

Gordon Vickers 408/991-5370 (Sunnyvale,Ca); {mips|pyramid|philabs}!prls!gordon
Earth is a complex array of symbiotic relationships:
Every extinction, whether animal, mineral, or vegetable, hastens our own demise.

In article <21154@adm.BRL.MIL>, bzs@cs.bu.edu (Barry Shein) writes:

|  How do you tell a wizard? If you have to ask you can't afford it.

  You can't tell a wizard. You can ask, politely.
that the world is flat!" - anon

carey@m.cs.uiuc.edu (10/17/89)

So the unix wizard's magic incantation is "that depends..." ???

This approach can be really annoying... ask someone a question, their
response is "that depends, is it an ACME computer?  Does it have front
panel switches?  Do you have widgets, geehaws, or shebangers?  Is it
version 5.8.0.3a?  What do people use it for?  Do you run wat4?  Did
you get this from a reputable dealer?  What is the astrological configuration?

So you spend half an hour going over all the "that depends" and it turns
out the guy is just stalling to cover up his answer which is "I dunno"

I would rather answer a question,  "in most circumstances (or in my experience)
this is most likely to be the answer" ... (then give an answer which is
probably wrong anyway), then say " but that depends on this and that,
and the other thing, blah, blah, blah.....

-----
John Carey (not a unix wizard)
University of Illinois
Dept. of Computer Science
carey@a.cs.uiuc.edu
{uu-net,pur-ee,convex,...}!uiucdcs!carey

mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) (10/17/89)

In article <69985@uunet.UU.NET>, rick@uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams) writes:

> 	(Unfortunately, there are a hell of a lot of people that think
> 	that because they installed unix on a pc or a sun workstation
> 	they are automatically wizards.)

Especially if they had to modify a makefile during the automated installation
script! :-)

And how about the guy who can recite every buzz word on the front cover of
_PC WEEK-, or _COMPUTERWORLD_.

--
Adelphi University, Garden City, NY 11530                   (516) 663-1170
                                 markd@adelphi.UUCP  or  mark@promark.UUCP

dhesi@sun505.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (10/17/89)

A real wizard is willing to let somebody have the last word, even if
the other person is wrong.

*Especially* when the other person is wrong.

Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi

moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) (10/17/89)

gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) writes (from an old Paul Chisholm
posting to net.jokes, if I remember right):

> GURU:
> - uses adb on the kernel while system is loaded

Since it is now common practice for manufacturers to NOT ship adb with
their systems ("dbx does everything you need to, honest." Ha!), this
definition may need some revision :-)

rosen@schizo.samsung.com (MFHorn) (10/17/89)

In article <89Oct17.001354edt.3270@neat.cs.toronto.edu> moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) writes:
   gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) writes:
   > GURU:
   > - uses adb on the kernel while system is loaded

I enjoyed the time I used a Unix system to edit a VMS binary.  GNU emacs
under VMS couldn't handle it.

   Since it is now common practice for manufacturers to NOT ship adb with
   their systems ("dbx does everything you need to, honest." Ha!), this
   definition may need some revision :-)

But a True Guru might still be using one of the old, original true
Unixes (Unixi?).

Is fsdb still shipped with SysV?  It was fun to play with, especially
on mounted filesystems..

[The burning question:  Does this news poster append .signature?]

--
Andy Rosen                | rosen@samsung.com       | "I got this guitar
Samsung Software America  | rosen@ginosko.UUCP      |  and I learned how

szirin@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (seth.zirin) (10/18/89)

A REAL wizard does not have an nauseatingly ostentatious .signature file
and frowns on those that do...

Seth Zirin

In article <ROSEN.89Oct17091413@schizo.samsung.com> rosen@schizo.samsung.com (MFHorn) writes:
>In article <89Oct17.001354edt.3270@neat.cs.toronto.edu> moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) writes:
>
>   Since it is now common practice for manufacturers to NOT ship adb with
>   their systems ("dbx does everything you need to, honest." Ha!), this
>   definition may need some revision :-)
>
>But a True Guru might still be using one of the old, original true
>Unixes (Unixi?).

And if not, the binary editor "bed" is available from your
friendly neighborhood comp.sources.unix archive...

...the rest, as they say, is up to you.

				--Blair
				  "Any points for getting SPICE files
				   off a munged TK50 dump(8) tape?"

pyr4@psc90.UUCP (**** The Wizard ****) (10/18/89)

Guys haven't you got anything better to talk about, after all who really
cares about, "How do you tell a wizard?", I don't.  I get a little sick
of reading these reams of garbage.  Hold the flames.

|   Ted Wisniewski    UUCP:  uunet!unh!psc90!pyr4 or: dartvax!psc90!pyr4 |
|   Plymouth State College                                               |
|   Plymouth NH, 03264              If I spoke for PSC they would pay me,|
|                                        But instead I pay them.         |

campbell@umb.umb.edu (Jim Campbell) (10/18/89)

Some years ago, I saw a description of how to tell the
level of the individual with respect ot their UNIX knowledge.
ie:  NOVICE:
     Calls vi vye
     etc

Unfortunately for me, I misplaced it and have looked for it
ever since.  If anyone has this file, I would greatly appreciate a copy.
Might even be appropriate to post it here (again?).

Thanks in advance.

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (10/19/89)

In article <89Oct17.001354edt.3270@neat.cs.toronto.edu> moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) writes:
>> GURU:
>> - uses adb on the kernel while system is loaded
>
>Since it is now common practice for manufacturers to NOT ship adb with
>their systems ("dbx does everything you need to, honest." Ha!), this
>definition may need some revision :-)

Who needs adb.  "ln -s /dev/tty foo.c ; cc -o foo foo.c ; foo ; rm foo
foo.c" and type a quicky to nlist for the symbol then write the patch
to kmem.  You don't even need cat.  Alternatively you might consider
actually saving the program but it's less fun that way.

Kids, don't try this at home.

jim frost
software tool & die
madd@std.com

steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Steve Dempsey) (10/19/89)

In article <218@promark.UUCP>, mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) writes:

> And how about the guy who can recite every buzz word on the front cover of
> _PC WEEK-, or _COMPUTERWORLD_.

This would be a goupie, not a wizard.

        Steve Dempsey,  Center for Computer Assisted Engineering
  Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO  80523    +1 303 491 0630
INET: steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu, dempsey@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu
UUCP: boulder!ccncsu!longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu!steved, ...!ncar!handel!dempsey

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (10/19/89)

You can always tell a wizard.

You just can't tell him much...
--
 Paul Smee               |    JANET: Smee@uk.ac.bristol
 Computer Centre         |   BITNET: Smee%uk.ac.bristol@ukacrl.bitnet

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (10/19/89)

From article <955@umb.umb.edu>, by campbell@umb.umb.edu (Jim Campbell):
> Some years ago, I saw a description of how to tell the
> level of the individual with respect ot their UNIX knowledge.
> ie:  NOVICE:
>      Calls vi vye
>      etc

I have *never* heard *anyone* call "vi" vee-eye.  Including wizards.

Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

In article <955@umb.umb.edu> campbell@umb.edu (Jim Campbell) writes:
>Some years ago, I saw a description of how to tell the
>level of the individual with respect ot their UNIX knowledge.
>ie:  NOVICE:
>     Calls vi vye
>     etc

First a minor flame, then the answer to this man's query.

I would say that a rose by any other name would still smell
as sweet.  Do we not live in a pluralistic society?  Judging
someone's education, intelligence, or technical expertise
based upon their particular accent is, although not atypical,
hinging upon bigoted and narrow-minded.  What does it matter
if /etc/fsck is called 'fuzz-check', 'effess-check', 'fisk',
or 'effessceekay', except that some of those choices are slightly
more expedient than others?  In the case of those people who
call /bin/ed "ed" and /usr/ucb/vi "vye" and /etc/fsck "fisk",
it would appear that they've chosen the path of expediency,
a common theme in natural language evolution.  There is no
Royal Academy of the English Language, as exists for most of
the Romance tongues.  This is a feature, not a bug.  There
is no One True Way of pronouncing the words "route", "rout",
and "root"; few people not of the same geographic region
will agree on this, and to judge them as sub-intelligent because
of this is simply wrong.

There, that said, I present you with what may be the text
you are looking for.

--tom

.po 1i
.he ''Unix Hierarchy''
.sz 10
.lp
.nf
.na
.b "NAME		DESCRIPTION AND FEATURES"

beginner	- insecure with the concept of a terminal
		- has yet to learn the basics of \fIvi\fR
		- has not figured out how to get a directory
		- still has trouble with typing <RETURN> after each line of input

novice		- knows that \fIls\fP will produce a directory
		- uses the editor, but calls it `vye'
		- has heard of \fIC\fR but never used it
		- has had his first bad experience with \fIrm\fR
		- is wondering how to read his mail
		- is wondering why the person next to him seems to like Unix so very much

user		- uses \fIvi\fR and \fInroff\fR, but inexpertly
		- has heard of regular-expressions but never seen one.
		- has figured out that `-' precedes options
		- has attempted to write a \fIC\fR program and has decided to stick with pascal
		- is wondering how to move a directory
		- thinks that \fIdbx\fR is a brand of stereo component
		- knows how to read his mail and is wondering how to read the news

knowledgable	- uses \fInroff\fR with no trouble, and is beginning
user		  to learn \fItbl\fR and \fIeqn\fR
		- uses grep to search for fixed strings
		- has figured out that \fImv\fR will move directories
		- has learned that \fIlearn\fR doesn't help
		- somebody has shown him how to write C programs
		- once used \fIsed\fR to do some text substitution
		- has seen \fIdbx\fR used but does not use it himself
		- thinks that \fImake\fR is only for wimps

expert		- uses \fIsed\fR when necessary
		- uses macros in \fIvi,\fR uses \fIex\fR when neccesary
		- posts news at every possible opportunity
		- write \fIcsh\fR scripts occasionally
		- write \fIC\fR programs using \fIvi\fR and compiles with \fIcc\fR
		- has figured out what `&&' and `||' are for
		- thinks that human history started with '!h'

hacker		- uses \fIsed\fR and \fIawk\fR with comfort
		- uses undocumented features of \fIvi\fR
		- write \fIC\fR code with `cat >' and compiles with '!cc'
		- uses \fIadb\fR because he doesn't trust source debuggers
		- can answer questions about the user environment
		- writes his own \fInroff\fR macros to supplement std. ones
		- write scripts for Bourne shell (/bin/sh)
		- knows how to install bug fixes

guru		- uses \fIm4\fR and \fIlex\fR with comfort
		- writes assembly code with `cat >'
		- uses \fIadb\fR on the kernel while system is loaded
		- customizes utilities by patching the source
		- reads device driver source with his breakfast
		- can answer any unix question after a little thought
		- uses \fImake\fR for anything that requires two or more distinct commands to achieve
		- has learned how to breach security but no longer needs to try

wizard		- writes device drivers with `cat >'
		- fixes bugs by patching the binaries
		- can answer any question before you ask
		- writes his own \fItroff\fR macro packages
		- is on first-name basis with Dennis, Bill, and Ken

    Tom Christiansen                       {uunet,uiucdcs,sun}!convex!tchrist
    Convex Computer Corporation                            tchrist@convex.COM
		 "EMACS belongs in <sys/errno.h>: Editor too big!"

tim@binky.sybase.com (Tim Wood) (10/20/89)

In article <9100017@m.cs.uiuc.edu> carey@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>So the unix wizard's magic incantation is "that depends..." ???
>
>This approach can be really annoying... ask someone a question, their
>response is "that depends, is it [ any of the following things ]"
>
>So you spend half an hour going over all the "that depends" and it turns
>out the guy is just stalling to cover up his answer which is "I dunno"
>
>I would rather answer a question,  "in most circumstances (or in my experience)
>this is most likely to be the answer" ... (then give an answer which is
>probably wrong anyway), then say " but that depends on this and that,
>and the other thing, blah, blah, blah.....

Your preferred response may seem friendlier, but it conveys less information.

Someone saying "it depends" is explicitly asking you for more information,
so that they can give a more coherent answer.  They are also implicitly
giving you information.  "It depends" sometimes means "did you check...?".
Just knowing some of the contingencies of the problem can greatly aid
your understanding.  Even if the answer is not deposited directly in
your hand, you may gain enough information to answer it yourself.

Generalized answers don't tell you why they are correct or reveal
incorrect reasoning when they are wrong.  So you come away with
incomplete or incorrect knowlege.

When it comes to computers, there are very few one-sentence answers.
Ability to leverage the input of others to solve your own problems is
a major determiner of success.
-TW
Sybase, Inc. / 6475 Christie Ave. / Emeryville, CA / 94608	  415-596-3500
tim@sybase.com          {pacbell,pyramid,sun,{uunet,ucbvax}!mtxinu}!sybase!tim
Voluntary disclaimer: This message is solely my personal opinion.
		      It is not a representation of Sybase, Inc.  OK.

chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (10/20/89)

According to pyr4@psc90.UUCP (**** The Wizard ****):
>Guys haven't you got anything better to talk about, after all who really
>cares about, "How do you tell a wizard?", I don't.  I get a little sick
>of reading these reams of garbage.  Hold the flames.
>
>|   Ted Wisniewski    UUCP:  uunet!unh!psc90!pyr4 or: dartvax!psc90!pyr4 |
>|   Plymouth State College                                               |
>|   Plymouth NH, 03264              If I spoke for PSC they would pay me,|
>|                                        But instead I pay them.         |

GEE, WIZARD!  IS THAT YOUR REAL NAME?  BOY IT REALLY GETS ME MAD LIKE YOU
WHEN PEOPLE TALK ABOUT THINGS I DON'T UNDERSTAND.  BUT I GUESS YOU KNOW
THAT. :-) :-)

AND IT REALLY FROSTS MY SHORTS (HA!  HA!  THAT'S SO FUNNY) WHEN PEOPLE FLAME
ME JUST BECAUSE I FLAME THEM.  EVEN WHEN I TELL THEM NOT TO.  THEIR STUPID,
ARE'NT THEY?

--
BIFF
BIFF@PSUVM

In article <1019@psc90.UUCP> pyr4@.UUCP (**** The Wizard ****) writes:
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
					I doubt this mightily.

>Guys haven't you got anything better to talk about, after all who really
>cares about, "How do you tell a wizard?", I don't.  I get a little sick
>of reading these reams of garbage.  Hold the flames.

That depends...

Put the following in a file named ~pyr4/News/comp/unix/wizards/KILL

	/tell a wizard/:j

and stop being so intolerant.

				--Blair
				  "If you can identify the
				   problem, then what's the
				   problem?  You don't know
				   how to form the solution?
				   ...there is no problem other
				   than ignorance, therefore."

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (10/20/89)

As quoted from <26894@prls.UUCP> by gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers):
+---------------
|     Wizard:
|        - writes device drivers with 'cat >'    - writes his own troff macro
|        - fixes bugs by patching the binaries.     packages
|        - can answer any question before        - is on first-name basis with
|          you ask.                                Dennis, Bill, and Ken.
+---------------

Well, I've got two of the requisites... does that make me half a wizard, or a
half-*ssed wizard?  ;-)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@NCoast.ORG
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu bsa@telotech.uucp

mcgrath@paris.Berkeley.EDU (Roland McGrath) (10/20/89)

   Guys haven't you got anything better to talk about, after all who really
   cares about, "How do you tell a wizard?", I don't.  I get a little sick
   of reading these reams of garbage.  Hold the flames.

Real wizards no longer have anything better to do.
--
	Roland McGrath
	Free Software Foundation, Inc.

waw103@tijc02.UUCP (Alan Watson ) (10/20/89)

From article <917@uakari.primate.wisc.edu>, by bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral):
> From article <955@umb.umb.edu>, by campbell@umb.umb.edu (Jim Campbell):
>> ie:  NOVICE: Calls vi vye

> I have *never* heard *anyone* call "vi" vee-eye.  Including wizards.

I have *never* heard *anyone* call "vi" vye. Including novices.

waw@rti!tijc02

hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike Marshall) (10/20/89)

How do you tell a wizard? It is apparent that s/he has RTFMed.

 *
 *                  An Introduction to Display Editing with Vi
 *
 *
 *                                 William Joy
 *
 *    1. Getting started
 *
 *      This document provides a quick introduction to vi. (Pronounced
 *    vee-eye.)  You...
 *

:-) :-)...

-Mike      hubcap@clemson.edu

barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (10/20/89)

>I have *never* heard *anyone* call "vi" vee-eye.  Including wizards.

Wrong crowd, I guess. :-)

According to the BSD manual, written by William Joy and Mark Horton,
"vi" is pronounced vee-eye.

Barnett's first rule of wizardry detection: 		:-)
	"Real wizards don't RTFM, they WTFM!"

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett@crd.ge.com>   uunet!crdgw1!barnett

campbell@umb.umb.edu (Jim Campbell) (10/20/89)

You don't tell a wizard,
s/he already knows ;-)

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/20/89)

In article <917@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>I have *never* heard *anyone* call "vi" vee-eye.  Including wizards.

"I guess you don't know any wizards, then."

ip@me.utoronto.ca (Bevis Ip) (10/21/89)

In article <917@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>I have *never* heard *anyone* call "vi" vee-eye.  Including wizards.

Even our chinese scholar who onlys know a few essential Unix commands to
survive and quits "vi" by typing control-Z learned to call "vi" vee-eye!
Gee your "wizards" are welcome to come up north and talk with our chinese
scholar.

mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) (10/21/89)

I have worked with one flavor of Unix or another for several years, and
to this day will not call myself a wizard.  I have long felt it was a form
of rationalization.  Wizard implies "knows all", and Unix is ever growing
with each release of the operating system.  BSD flavors that meet SVID.
System V with BSD extentions, different with every vendor.

However, I have found the following holds true for
most *very knowledegable Unix people* :

1	They have seen and/or modified Unix source at the kernel and
	provided utilities level.
2	They have implimented, at least once, a device driver, or some
	other kernel linkable code, and know how much fun it is to
	debug this code.
3	They all have at least one beat up copy of the C bible, possibly
	hard cover, or if not, the front or back cover is gone.
4	They have a copy of either the BSD or System V "Implimentation of
	the Unix operating system."
5	All the above books have pages that are starting to bio-degrade
	from age.
6	They have a copy of the SVID from AT&T if they work with SYSTEM V.
7	They all spell kernel as KERNEL, not KERNAL.
8	They don't call themselves wizards, but the people around them
	usually do.

Each one of these alone does not constitute a wizard, especially 2, and 3.
But In the case of 2, it has been my experience that if they have been there
a few times, they know their way around pretty well.

--
Adelphi University, Garden City, NY 11530                   (516) 663-1170
                                 markd@adelphi.UUCP  or  mark@promark.UUCP
                      UUCP:	 uunet!mimsy!rutgers!columbia!adelphi!markd

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (10/21/89)

In <4588@buengc.BU.EDU> bph@buengc.BU.EDU (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
Blair> Put the following in a file named ~pyr4/News/comp/unix/wizards/KILL
Blair> 	/tell a wizard/:j
Blair> and stop being so intolerant.

Wizards don't make assumptions about what software someone is running.
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

ok@cs.mu.oz.au (Richard O'Keefe) (10/21/89)

In article <89Oct20.205428edt.19392@me.utoronto.ca>, ip@me.utoronto.ca (Bevis Ip) writes:
> In article <917@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
> >I have *never* heard *anyone* call "vi" vee-eye.  Including wizards.

> Even our chinese scholar who onlys know a few essential Unix commands to
> survive and quits "vi" by typing control-Z learned to call "vi" vee-eye!

There are two separate questions:  "what does the manual say the program
is to be called" and "what might a wizard actually call it".  Someone
who has read and understood the vi manual might know perfectly well what
the authors wanted it to be called, but use something less printable.
Just like people pronounce MS-DOS "mess-doss" or "em ess doesn't".
Too bad the C book didn't say how to pronounce "char" or I could tell
the people who pronounce it "care" that they aren't Real Wizards (TM)
even if they _can_ write code that works.

jeffm@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jeff Medcalf) (10/21/89)

In article <917@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>I have *never* heard *anyone* call "vi" vee-eye.  Including wizards.
>
>Paul DuBois

Happens here all the time.  Everyone here, including wizards, calls vi vee-eye.
Occasionally, it will be referred to as visual, though that is rare.  I have
never heard it called vye even by novices, but then we have an orientation that
includes use of the vi editor, so users get the "correct" pronunciation right
off.

--
Jeff Medcalf	jeffm@uokmax.uucp    jeffm@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
!chinet!uokmax!jeffm	jeffm@invent_an_address (as reliable as the preceeding)

In 1869, the waffle iron was invented, thus solving the annoying tendency of

mhw@wittsend.lbp.harris.com (Michael H. Warfield (Mike)) (10/22/89)

In article <227@promark.UUCP> mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) writes:
>8	They don't call themselves wizards, but the people around them
>	usually do.

	This is an important point and yet this is the first article I've
read that mentions it.  Maybe it's so obvious that it shouldn't need stating.
I've know several individuals that have considered THEMSELVES wizards
or guru's.  They rarely are.  One particular individual I refered to
as a "guru in his own mind".  Unfortunately, he overheard me (I thought
he was in Florida!).  Fortunately we are good friends and he has a excelent
sense of humor (I say this because he's probably reading this :-) ).

	Being a wizard is not something you bestow upon yourself.  This
is something your peers decide about you.  There may well individuals around
who could not begin to hold their own in this group (I'm still not quite
sure about myself) and yet their co-workers and friends call them a wizard.
If they provide the leadership, support, and training to those others then
their peers are justified in titling them so.  There are, undoubtly,
individuals who could give us all lessons and yet they and their friends
consider them to be nothing extraordinary.

	If my friends want to call me a wizard, well I guess that means I
just have to work harder to live up to the reputation they have given me.
At the same time, I try to enjoy it and make fun of the designation.  My
.sig line is more of a jab at being called a wizard (only a mad one) than
claiming to be one (but it does match my initials :-) ).  Our Unix User's
group has a guru rap session each month for people to come in and have
problems answered by others who may have "been there before".  I have
made a point to be there as much as I can to "soak up" the knowledge as much
as anything else.  I have helped solved some peoples problems.  I consider
that advance payment on the inevitable day when I NEED HELP.  That
makes me a wizard or guru only if and as far as that's how others see me.
Not how I see myself.

	And no I don't really consider myself a wizard.

--
Michael H. Warfield  (The Mad Wizard)	| gatech.edu!galbp!wittsend!mhw
  (404)  270-2123 / 270-2098		| mhw@wittsend.LBP.HARRIS.COM

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (10/23/89)

In article <227@promark.UUCP> mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) writes:
|Wizard implies "knows all" [...]

Actually the definition I'm most comfortable with is:

"A Wizard is someone who can do something that you don't know how to do."

I believe you will find that this is appropriate in most contexts.

|4	They have a copy of either the BSD or System V "Implimentation of
|	the Unix operating system."
|5	All the above books have pages that are starting to bio-degrade
|	from age.

Given that the BSD book isn't very old, I kind of doubt it.  Worn,
maybe, but not degrading :-).

jim frost
software tool & die
madd@std.com

For what reason did the First Patriarch come from the west?
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'

drears@pica.army.mil (Dennis G. Rears (FSAC)) (10/23/89)

> From article <955@umb.umb.edu>, by campbell@umb.umb.edu (Jim
Campbell):
>> ie:  NOVICE: Calls vi vye

> I have *never* heard *anyone* call "vi" vee-eye.  Including wizards.

  Do wizards even use vi?  I thought they used emacs :-).

Dennis

tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) (10/23/89)

In article <1989Oct22.174927.3736@world.std.com> madd@world.UUCP (jim frost) writes:
>In article <227@promark.UUCP> mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) writes:
>|Wizard implies "knows all" [...]
>|4	They have a copy of either the BSD or System V "Implimentation of
>|	the Unix operating system."
>|5	All the above books have pages that are starting to bio-degrade
>|	from age.
>Given that the BSD book isn't very old, I kind of doubt it.  Worn,
>maybe, but not degrading :-).

C'mon, folks!  Everyone knows that a REAL WIZARD has the old Lions Version 6
Book.

- Tom "Wish I had a Lions" Frauenhofer

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (10/23/89)

In article <89Oct17.001354edt.3270@neat.cs.toronto.edu>, moraes@cs (Mark Moraes) writes:
| gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) writes (from an old Paul Chisholm
| posting to net.jokes, if I remember right):
|
| > GURU:
| > - uses adb on the kernel while system is loaded
|
| Since it is now common practice for manufacturers to NOT ship adb with
| their systems ("dbx does everything you need to, honest." Ha!), this
| definition may need some revision :-)

Oh, now come on.  If a guru finds that adb is missing, he/she whips
out a source tape of goodies from the last job, which just happens to
include a hacked version of adb that prints out some of the kernel
structures easily, loads it up, and compiles it, and sticks it in
his/her own personal bin.  No sweat.

Just another UNIX hacker (may or may not be a guru... hard to tell...),
--
/== Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ====\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA, Sol III  |

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/23/89)

In article <6631@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>For what reason did the First Patriarch come from the west?

To listen to the sound of one hand clapping.

brtmac@hobbes.ksu.ksu.edu (Brett McCoy) (10/24/89)

In article <21251@adm.BRL.MIL> drears@pica.army.mil (Dennis G. Rears (FSAC)) writes:
>> From article <955@umb.umb.edu>, by campbell@umb.umb.edu (Jim
>Campbell):
>>> ie:  NOVICE: Calls vi vye
>
>> I have *never* heard *anyone* call "vi" vee-eye.  Including wizards.
>
>  Do wizards even use vi?  I thought they used emacs :-).

You are both wrong.  Wizards do everything right the first time, hence the
lack of need for any editor.  They do all of their file creation with cat(1V).
:-) :-) :-)

--
Brett McCoy                |  God is real, unless declared integer
brtmac@ksuvm.ksu.edu       |

trudel@topaz.rutgers.edu ( quit) (10/24/89)

>	And no I don't really consider myself a wizard.

>Michael H. Warfield  (The Mad Wizard)

I'm not a Wizard, but I play one on the Net...

nick@toro.UUCP (Nicholas Jacobs) (10/24/89)

In article <1989Oct22.174927.3736@world.std.com> madd@world.UUCP (jim frost) writes:
>In article <227@promark.UUCP> mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) writes:
>|4	They have a copy of either the BSD or System V "Implimentation of
>|	the Unix operating system."
>|5	All the above books have pages that are starting to bio-degrade
>|	from age.
>
>Given that the BSD book isn't very old, I kind of doubt it.  Worn,
>maybe, but not degrading :-).
>
>jim frost

Actually, considering the wonderful paper :-) that they printed the BSD book
on, I wouldn't be surprised if it was falling apart...

But, I think that the operative point is that wizards don't consider themselves
to be so. In fact, I would be surprised to hear one wizard to call another
wizard one to their face. It just seems to me to be one of those terms that
gets bantered around by people who seek to label everyone into neat categories.

Nicholas Jacobs
UUCP: ...!uunet!toro!nick Internet: toro!nick@uunet.uu.net
AT&T: (212) 236-3230

mds@wang.UUCP (Marc San Soucie) (10/24/89)

So I'm sitting in section 38 of the Fenway Park bleachers watching Roger
Clemens mow down Milwaukee Brewers in 90 degree heat in a losing 4-2 cause
when from all around me there begins a hubbub which swells to a loud and
raucous antiphonal shouting - one crowd of drunken bleacha-bums bellowing
at another, "Vee-Eye!", "Veye!", "Vee-Eye!", "Veye!". The shouting turned
to yelling, the yelling to hurling of beer-cups, the hurling to throwing
of punches, and in due time the whole unsoundly lot of them were dragged
from the stands by the Fenway bleacher bouncers, who have little patience
for this sort of thing...

    Marc San Soucie
    Massachusetts
    mds@wang.wang.com

mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) (10/24/89)

In article <1989Oct22.174927.3736@world.std.com>, madd@world.std.com (jim frost) writes:
> In article <227@promark.UUCP> mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) writes:
> |Wizard implies "knows all" [...]
>
> Actually the definition I'm most comfortable with is:
>
> "A Wizard is someone who can do something that you don't know how to do."
>
> I believe you will find that this is appropriate in most contexts.

I don't know how to repair pipes, but I don't consider my plumber a wizard.
I don't know how to drive a fork lift, but I don't consider our fork lift
 operator a wizard.
I don't know how to drive a 5 speed, but I do not consider all those that
 can wizards.

(For those fork lift operators out there that are wizards and are
moonlighting as programmer wizards, I mean no disrespect).

I guess "most" is a loose term.

--
Adelphi University, Garden City, NY 11530                   (516) 663-1170
                                 markd@adelphi.UUCP  or  mark@promark.UUCP
                      UUCP:	 uunet!mimsy!rutgers!columbia!adelphi!markd

joe@gryphon.COM (Joseph Francis) (10/24/89)

I, personally, vacillate between pronouncing 'vi' as the beginning of
'view' (can sound like vyeeeeh) with an occasional hard click at the end
for the 'yuk' effect, and 'vi' as in 'novice' (really, now quite
untypeable in sound, a definite potiential Heimlich candidate gurgle).
How strangely appropriate the synonym (oops, 'homonym') 'vie' (rhymes
with 'blygh') exists, along with 'vee-eye', though 'vee-eye' makes it
sound both frivolous (remember how 'teco' was strangely onomatopoeic
w.r.t the clattering escape keys: and its derivative rhumba 'tico-tico'
(sic) immortalized by hordes of aging would-be musicians with hammond
organs at country-fair beauty shows while the judges ponder the
inevitable...) and strangely hardboiled, like j.d.  or p.i.  I digress:
vi is, of course, invoked rather than pronounced (like comparing apples
and oranges) but only by afficionados, the domain of invocational
wizards.  Entropy rears its head, however, and from the (larger) hell of
dysphonious commands possible comes 'emacs' (pronounces 'M-acks', like
the auntie em from 'The Wizard of Oz') gender neutral but available in
'shemacs' and 'hemacs' versions for M.O.T.A.S, being 'extensible'
(visions of which apropos the sentence context I leave to the imagination
of the reader).
--
joe@gryphon		...!elroy!gryphon!joe
but jojo to my beeeest frieeeends.

amos@taux01.UUCP (Amos Shapir) (10/24/89)

In article <227@promark.UUCP> mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) writes:
>3	They all have at least one beat up copy of the C bible, possibly
>	hard cover, or if not, the front or back cover is gone.
>4	They have a copy of either the BSD or System V "Implimentation of
>	the Unix operating system."
>5	All the above books have pages that are starting to bio-degrade
>	from age.

Well, gurus may have the books, wizards don't have to - they are mentioned
in the references/index...

>6	They have a copy of the SVID from AT&T if they work with SYSTEM V.
>7	They all spell kernel as KERNEL, not KERNAL.

They spell IMPLEMENTATION correctly.  :-)

--
	Amos Shapir		amos@taux01.nsc.com or amos@nsc.nsc.com
National Semiconductor (Israel) P.O.B. 3007, Herzlia 46104, Israel

konczal@mail-gw.ncsl.nist.gov (Joe Konczal) (10/24/89)

   Date:     Mon, 23 Oct 89 9:57:30 EDT
   From: "Dennis G. Rears (FSAC)" <drears@pica.army.mil>

   > From article <955@umb.umb.edu>, by campbell@umb.umb.edu (Jim
   Campbell):
   >> ie:  NOVICE: Calls vi vye

   > I have *never* heard *anyone* call "vi" vee-eye.  Including wizards.

     Do wizards even use vi?  I thought they used emacs :-).

   Dennis

Of course wizzards use vi...they are often called upon to help people who
haven't installed emacs on thier systems yet.

And in answer to the "***WIZARD***":

   Guys haven't you got anything better to talk about, after all who really
   cares about, "How do you tell a wizard?", I don't.  I get a little sick
   of reading these reams of garbage.  Hold the flames.

That depends... :-)

A real wizard knows how to delete the mail he (or she) isn't
interested in reading!  Even most people who have never heard of Unix
will not read reams of garbage that makes them sick if nobody is
forcing them to.  (I am holding the flames; this is just the smoke.)

	Joe Konczal

In article <11392@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <6631@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>For what reason did the First Patriarch come from the west?
>
>To listen to the sound of one hand clapping.

Ah, a loopback test.

				--Blair
				  "Zen and the art of
				   LAN design."

cliff@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Cliff Marcellus) (10/25/89)

In article <21251@adm.BRL.MIL>, drears@pica.army.mil (Dennis G. Rears (FSAC)) writes:

>   Do wizards even use vi?  I thought they used emacs :-).

 ... this "wizard" does :-)
     I always perfered to edit "eye-to-vi"  :-))
Cliff

Cliff Marcellus                UUCP     : {any backbone}!calgary!ssg-vax-a!cliff
Dept of Physics and Astronomy  DOMAIN   : cliff@ssg-vax-a.phys.UCalgary.CA
The University of Calgary      SPAN     : CANCAL::CLIFF
OPINIONS WITHIN ARE MY OWN AND DO NOT REFLECT THOSE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CALGARY

In article <4282@deimos.cis.ksu.edu>, brtmac@hobbes.ksu.ksu.edu (Brett McCoy) writes:

> You are both wrong.  Wizards do everything right the first time, hence the
> lack of need for any editor.  They do all of their file creation with cat(1V).
> :-) :-) :-)

  DARN!  I guess this means I'm not a wizard...
  Gee.  Did Dennis Ritchie simply do a :

  % cat > vmunix.c

  ???  :-)

Cliff Marcellus                UUCP     : {any backbone}!calgary!ssg-vax-a!cliff
Dept of Physics and Astronomy  DOMAIN   : cliff@ssg-vax-a.phys.UCalgary.CA
The University of Calgary      SPAN     : CANCAL::CLIFF
OPINIONS WITHIN ARE MY OWN AND DO NOT REFLECT THOSE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CALGARY

kilroy@mimsy.umd.edu (Nancy's Fiance) (10/26/89)

I've always understood `vi' to be an abbreviation for `vile', so I pronounce
it accordingly. . .

Anyway, in article <1958@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> cliff@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
	(Cliff Marcellus) writes:
>In article <4282@deimos.cis.ksu.edu>, brtmac@hobbes.ksu.ksu.edu
>	(Brett McCoy) writes:
>>
>>  Wizards do everything right the first time, hence the lack of need for
>>  any editor.  They do all of their file creation with cat(1V).
>
>  Gee.  Did Dennis Ritchie simply do a :
>
>  % cat > vmunix.c

Actually it was:

% cat > vmunix.s

kilroy@cs.umd.edu          Darren F. Provine          ...uunet!mimsy!kilroy
"It will soon be illegal to deface the flag.  Disgracing it is still okay."
                                                  -- Dan Berger

mikes@rtech.UUCP (Mike Schilling(This sentence no verb.)) (10/27/89)

From the tone of most unix dicussions I've heard, the word should be priest
(if not fakir :-) ).

dmuntz@sparky.eecs.umich.edu (Daniel A Muntz) (10/27/89)

<	(Cliff Marcellus) writes:
<>In article <4282@deimos.cis.ksu.edu>, brtmac@hobbes.ksu.ksu.edu
<>	(Brett McCoy) writes:
<>>
<>>  Wizards do everything right the first time, hence the lack of need for
<>>  any editor.  They do all of their file creation with cat(1V).
<>
<>  Gee.  Did Dennis Ritchie simply do a :
<>
<>  % cat > vmunix.c
<
<Actually it was:
<
<% cat > vmunix.s
<

Actaully it was:

# cat > vmunix

   -Dan Muntz

jdarcy@encore.UUCP (Jeff d'Arcy) (10/27/89)

cliff@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Cliff Marcellus):
> Gee.  Did Dennis Ritchie simply do a :
>
> % cat > vmunix.c

kilroy@mimsy.umd.edu (Nancy's Fiance):
> Actually it was:
>
> % cat > vmunix.s

Nope.  I don't think he was using csh.  More likely would be:

$ cat > vmunix.s

Trivia question: what *did* the prompt look like on whichever system was
used to develop the first UNIX?  Also: who's Nancy?  :-)

Jeff d'Arcy     OS/Network Software Engineer     jdarcy@encore.com
  Encore has provided the medium, but the message remains my own

wayne@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Hathaway) (10/27/89)

Maybe it's time to paraphrase the old Buddha definition:

        The difference between a Wizard and an ordinary user
        is that one knows the difference and the other does not.

  Wayne Hathaway
  Ultra Network Technologies     domain: wayne@Ultra.COM
  101 Daggett Drive            Internet: ultra!wayne@Ames.ARC.NASA.GOV
  San Jose, CA 95134               uucp: ...!ames!ultra!wayne
  408-922-0100

earlw@Apple.COM (Earl Wallace) (10/27/89)

In article <20408@mimsy.umd.edu> kilroy@mimsy.umd.edu.UUCP (Darren F. Provine) writes:
>>  Gee.  Did Dennis Ritchie simply do a :
>>
>>  % cat > vmunix.c
>
>Actually it was:
>
>% cat > vmunix.s

I'm sure it must have been:

$ cat > vmunix.o

scott@nastar.UUCP (Scott Barman) (10/27/89)

In article <20408@mimsy.umd.edu> kilroy@mimsy.umd.edu.UUCP (Darren F. Provine) writes:
|Anyway, in article <1958@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> cliff@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
|	(Cliff Marcellus) writes:
|>In article <4282@deimos.cis.ksu.edu>, brtmac@hobbes.ksu.ksu.edu
|>	(Brett McCoy) writes:
|>>
|>>  Wizards do everything right the first time, hence the lack of need for
|>>  any editor.  They do all of their file creation with cat(1V).
|>
|>  Gee.  Did Dennis Ritchie simply do a :
|>
|>  % cat > vmunix.c
|
|Actually it was:
|
|% cat > vmunix.s

Actually, maybe Bill Joy did that since vmunix is BSD

[caveat: was it vmunix under 32V?]

If true, Ritchie would have done:

$ cat > unix.s
^
Correct shell prompt!  :-)

--
scott barman
emory!nastar!scott	<-- please note new address

stan@Solbourne.COM (Stan Hanks) (10/27/89)

In article <651@zip.eecs.umich.edu> dmuntz@sparky.eecs.umich.edu.UUCP (Daniel A Muntz) writes:

>Actaully it was:
>
># cat > vmunix

Geeze, what a bunch of Berkeley-ized weenies. Try:

# cat > unix

(no vm in those days, remember? probably not....)

Regards,

--
Stanley P. Hanks  Science Advisor                      Solbourne Computer, Inc.
Phone:            Corporate: (303) 772-3400             Houston: (713) 964-6705

collin@hpindda.HP.COM (Collin Park) (10/27/89)

Sorry, can't resist...

"Actually, it was
	cat > vmunix.s"

Would a "REAL wizard" do

    cat > vmunix

?

kilroy@mimsy.umd.edu (Nancy's Sweetie) (10/28/89)

In article <10242@encore.Encore.COM> jdarcy@encore.UUCP (Jeff d'Arcy) writes:

> Also: who's Nancy?  :-)

[  Singsong voice:  "Je-eff's mush-y  Je-eff's mush-y!"  ]

Nancy's my fiancee, and she has pretty blonde hair, and we were in a big
garden with pretty trees and shrubs and flowers and little birdies going
`chirpy chirpy tweet tweet tweet' and there was a pretty blue sky with
pouffy clouds and she proposed and I looked in her pretty sparkly eyes
and said yes and now we're engaged.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

kilroy@cs.umd.edu          Darren F. Provine          ...uunet!mimsy!kilroy
"It looks to me like *Darren's* the one who's mushy!" -- Chris Torek

gs26@prism.gatech.EDU (Glenn R. Stone) (10/28/89)

A friend of mine offers the following definition:

"After you've summoned your first daemon, you're qualified to be a wizard."

Glenn R. Stone
gs26@prism.gatech.edu, CCASTGS@GITNVE2.BITNET, ...!gatech!gitpyr!ccastgs
Box 30372, Atlanta, GA 30332

ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) (10/28/89)

In article <21251@adm.BRL.MIL> (Dennis G. Rears (FSAC)) writes:
>> From article <955@umb.umb.edu>, by campbell@umb.umb.edu (Jim Campbell):
>>> ie:  NOVICE: Calls vi vye
>
>> I have *never* heard *anyone* call "vi" vee-eye.  Including wizards.
>
>  Do wizards even use vi?  I thought they used emacs :-).

	Of course some wizards use vi!  Those whom eschew the baroque
verbosity of the wild variants of the one true UNIX appreciate the clean
and simple style of vi (despite its origins ;-)  Of course, for clean and
simple, not much can beat TECO ;-) ;-)
--
Gregory G. Woodbury
Sysop/owner Wolves Den UNIX BBS, Durham NC

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (10/29/89)

As quoted from <1958@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> by cliff@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Cliff Marcellus):
+---------------
| In article <4282@deimos.cis.ksu.edu>, brtmac@hobbes.ksu.ksu.edu (Brett McCoy) writes:
| > You are both wrong.  Wizards do everything right the first time, hence the
| > lack of need for any editor.  They do all of their file creation with cat(1V).
| > :-) :-) :-)
| >

|   DARN!  I guess this means I'm not a wizard...
|   Gee.  Did Dennis Ritchie simply do a :
|
|   % cat > vmunix.c
|
|   ???  :-)
+---------------

Uh, confusion.

Ken Thompson:		$ cat > unix.c
Keith Bostic(?):	% cat > vmunix.c

;-) ;-) ;-)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery:  allbery@NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu bsa@telotech.uucp

david@indetech.com (David Kuder) (10/29/89)

In article <21251@adm.BRL.MIL> drears@pica.army.mil (Dennis G. Rears (FSAC)) writes:
>>> ie:  NOVICE: Calls vi vye
>> I have *never* heard *anyone* call "vi" vee-eye.  Including wizards.
>  Do wizards even use vi?  I thought they used emacs :-).

Well, emacs users call vi

	vile
--
David A. Kuder                              Comp.lang.perl, the time is now!
415 438-2003  david@indetech.com  {uunet,sun,sharkey,pacbell}!indetech!david

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (10/30/89)

A wizard is someone who solves the problem that has you stumped.
A guru is someone who helps you solve it.
A user is someone who gives you the problem.

In article <1989Oct27.220632.5531@wolves.uucp>, ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:
|  	Of course some wizards use vi!  Those whom eschew the baroque
|  verbosity of the wild variants of the one true UNIX appreciate the clean
|  and simple style of vi (despite its origins ;-)  Of course, for clean and
|  simple, not much can beat TECO ;-) ;-)

  Most of the people I think are even low grade wizards know vi, emacs,
and ed, because you never know what machine you have to fix next. Hell,
I bet a real wizard know edlin, sos, and teco, just to help the heathens
convert.
that the world is flat!" - anon

rns@se-sd.NCR.COM (Rick Schubert) (10/31/89)

In article <10242@encore.Encore.COM> jdarcy@encore.UUCP (Jeff d'Arcy) writes:
>kilroy@mimsy.umd.edu (Nancy's Fiance):
>> Actually it was:
>> % cat > vmunix.s

>Nope.  I don't think he was using csh.  More likely would be:

>$ cat > vmunix.s

If I remember correctly, the "%" prompt preceded the "$" prompt: it was the
default prompt for the Mashey shell, which was replaced by the Bourne shell.
I was never "root" back then, but I suspect that the default "root" prompt
was also "#".  So any prompts in this line of discussion should probably be
"#".

But the real question is: does a real wizard really need a prompt?

-- Rick Schubert (rns@se-sd.sandiego.NCR.COM)

szirin@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (seth.zirin) (10/31/89)

A true wizard knows that sleep() takes two arguments and would never
invoke it except at base level.

A true wizard knows when and why PCATCH is needed and is capable of using
it.

A true wizard knows which subroutines return twice and which never return.

Many wizards still dislike the Berzerk strains of the kernel that once
permitted such vulgarities as Control-Zeeing a mkdir.  A genuine wizard
knows why...

Seth Zirin

sanders@sanders.austin.ibm.com (Tony Sanders) (10/31/89)

In article <21251@adm.BRL.MIL> drears@pica.army.mil (Dennis G. Rears (FSAC)) writes:
>> From article <955@umb.umb.edu>, by campbell@umb.umb.edu (Jim
>Campbell):
>>> ie:  NOVICE: Calls vi vye
>
>> I have *never* heard *anyone* call "vi" vee-eye.  Including wizards.
>
>  Do wizards even use vi?  I thought they used emacs :-).
>
>Dennis

From "An Introduction to Display Editing with Vi" out of the UNIX User's Manual
(Supplementary Documents) I quote (without permission):

  1. Getting Started

      This document provides a quick introduction to vi.  (Pronounced vee-eye.)

Sorry if this has already been posted.  I think I recall my id posting it
to some other news group while I was asleep(8).

I think I recall seeing one wizard on a dark night with the lights out using
vi.  Maybe you were there?

-- sanders
A wizard is someone who knows enough not to think he knows everything.

In article <739@ontek.UUCP> mikey@ontek.UUCP (Michael E. Lee) writes:
># make Nancy
>make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `Nancy'

% make love
Make:  Don't know how to make love.  Stop.
% Got a light?
No match.
% rm God
rm: God nonexistent

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
jik@Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
Office: 617-253-8495			      Home: 617-782-0710

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (11/13/89)

In article <15770@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>% make love
>Make:  Don't know how to make love.  Stop.

Ah.  Under OS/8 (on the PDP-8's, remember them?) 'make' was the command
used to invoke the editor (teco) when making a new file.  The programmer
had decided it would be humourous to catch that, so when you typed:

  make love

it said

  not war

and exited.  Since the 8 was basically a 4K (12-bit word) machine, I used
to resent the lost space.
--
 Paul Smee               |    JANET: Smee@uk.ac.bristol
 Computer Centre         |   BITNET: Smee%uk.ac.bristol@ukacrl.bitnet
 University of Bristol   | Internet: Smee%uk.ac.bristol@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
 (Phone: +44 272 303132) |     UUCP: ...!uunet!ukc!gdr.bath.ac.uk!exspes

mfuller@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov (Mike J. Fuller) (11/16/89)

In article <4417@condict.cs.vu.nl> condict@cs.vu.nl (Michael Condict) writes:
>In article <1989Oct31.133417.2409@lsuc.on.ca> jim@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Mercer) writes:
>>> Actually, real programmers don't bother storing the
>>> code.  Why do you think I linked /dev/tty to /dev/tty.c
>>> on this system several years ago?  Handy for those simple
>>> C tests.
>> seriously?
. . .
>I'm afraid this is an example of cleverness run amok.  Simpler and better
>would be the following "compile and execute" filter, which I've just
>put in my bin directory as the ce command:
. . .

How about a little program consisting of:

#include "/dev/tty"

Or is that abusing the rules a little too much :-)

| Mike J. Fuller |Internet: mikef@sarah.lerc.nasa.gov     |You'd be paranoid, |
|----------------|          mikef@zippysun.math.uakron.edu|too, if everyone   |
|/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\|Bitnet:   r3mjf1@akronvm                |was out to get you!|
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

ask@cbnews.ATT.COM (Arthur S. Kamlet) (12/05/89)

In article <917@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>From article <955@umb.umb.edu>, by campbell@umb.umb.edu (Jim Campbell):
>> Some years ago, I saw a description of how to tell the
>> level of the individual with respect ot their UNIX knowledge.
>> ie:  NOVICE:
>>      Calls vi vye
>>      etc
>
>I have *never* heard *anyone* call "vi" vee-eye.  Including wizards.
>
>Paul DuBois
>dubois@primate.wisc.edu

I have a copy of a paper written by Bill Joy (Revised for Versions
3.5/2.13) by Mark Horton, dated 9-16-80:

"This document provides a quick introduction to vi. (Pronounced
vee-eye.)"
----
This is a quote from the monthly "Most frequently asked questions"
article for December:

< [Last changed: $Date: 89/12/01 14:50:10 $ by $Author: sahayman $]

< This article contains the answers to some Frequently Asked Questions
< often seen in comp.unix.questions and comp.unix.wizards.  Please don't
< ask these questions again, they've been answered plenty of times
< already - and please don't flame someone just because they may not have
< read this particular posting.  Thank you.

< This article includes answers to:
< ...

< 19) How do I pronounce "vi" , or "!", or "/*", or ...?

    You can start a very long and pointless discussion by wondering
    about this topic on the net.  Some people say "vye", some say
    "vee-eye" (the vi manual suggests this) and some Roman numerologists
    say "six".  How you pronounce "vi" has nothing to do with whether
    or not you are a true Unix wizard.
--
Art Kamlet  a_s_kamlet@att.com  AT&T Bell Laboratories, Columbus