[comp.unix.wizards] What should the password...

mitch@hq.af.mil (Mitchell..Wright) (12/15/89)

lwall@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Larry Wall) writes:

>We FORCE people to have the same password everywhere.  Even if some users
>[...]  Once a cracker gets onto one of our machines, he can get to any of
>the others anyway, so why have different passwords?

Having different passwords would keep the cracker off of your other machines.
It is the use of '.rhosts', etc... that allows this.  In my case, you could
have any one of my passwords, but it wouldn't help you gain access to my
accounts.

>[...]
>By the way, another reason for having the same password everywhere is that
>we force a person's password entry to have the same salt in every password
>file.  If you let people have the same password on different machines but
>use different salts (and if the salts are different, how can you prevent
>people from using the same password anyway?) then your salt protection
>is weakened.  Suppose you have your password out there with 40 different
>salts.  Someone only has to encrypt using 1/40th of the salts to get a hit
>on your password.

I agree that it is difficult (if not impossible) to get users to use different
passwords on different systems.  It should be emphasized that it increases
their personal security as well as the systems.

I have heard the argument that "It is too hard to remember X number of
passords".  Well, it's not - you just have to set up a system for yourself.  A
system I used for a while was to take an acronym (ie. nasa) and combine it
with a non-alphanumeric (ie. !) and append the hostname (first ~3 char).  For
instance, my password on Podunk.edu might be "cuw*Podu".  Your acronyms can be
as obscure as you want.  Using the hostname is probably not a good thing to
use to vary your passwords since a cracker could probably figure that pattern
out.  So using this concept one could make the password "P[cuw]u", to make the
pattern less obvious or use a non-obvious varying part "cuw!07" where the "07"
part might mean the 7th choice on your terminal emulators calling directory
amongst other things.  Of course the real strength in this password scheme is
not that the password are different, but that an acronym can be a very good
password and a good acronym will only be "cracked" by an exhaustive search.

..mitch
Mitch Wright 					Currently under contract to:
P.O. Box 46135					     USAF 7th CG, DOWL
Washington DC 20050

			ARPA:	mitch@hq.af.mil
				gretzky@unison.larc.nasa.gov
			UUCP:	uunet!hq.af.mil!mitch
			AT&T:	(202) 697-3774

			BLDG:	Pentagon
			ROOM:	1D159

ram@attcan.UUCP (Richard Meesters) (12/18/89)

In article <MITCH.89Dec15104132@hq.af.mil>, mitch@hq.af.mil (Mitchell..Wright) writes:
> I have heard the argument that "It is too hard to remember X number of
> passords".  Well, it's not - you just have to set up a system for yourself.  A
> system I used for a while was to take an acronym (ie. nasa) and combine it
> with a non-alphanumeric (ie. !) and append the hostname (first ~3 char).  For
> instance, my password on Podunk.edu might be "cuw*Podu".  Your acronyms can be
> as obscure as you want.  Using the hostname is probably not a good thing to
> use to vary your passwords since a cracker could probably figure that pattern
> out.  So using this concept one could make the password "P[cuw]u", to make the
> pattern less obvious or use a non-obvious varying part "cuw!07" where the "07"
> part might mean the 7th choice on your terminal emulators calling directory
> amongst other things.  Of course the real strength in this password scheme is
> not that the password are different, but that an acronym can be a very good
> password and a good acronym will only be "cracked" by an exhaustive search.

All this is a wonderful way of thinking up a password, but what happens
when it comes to password aging?  If you have to change your password as a
result of aging, how do you change the pattern.  Do you have to come up with
a new acronym?  If so, you may find that it's just as hard to remember as any
other way that people can come up with.

I figure that how you set up your password schemes should depend on how much
security you want to build into your systems.  On my personal systems, I dont
use, nor do I want to be forced to use, password aging.  I don't think I have
any information that needs to be necessarily secured.  Unfortunately, as you
increase the level of security, you are going to increase the difficulty of
accessing the system for your users.  I just can't see any other way around
it.

Regards,
Richard Meesters

richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) (12/19/89)

In article <MITCH.89Dec15104132@hq.af.mil> mitch@hq.af.mil (Mitchell..Wright) writes:
>I have heard the argument that "It is too hard to remember X number of
>passords".  Well, it's not - you just have to set up a system for yourself.

And there we have it.  A fine argument against requiring users to have
different passwords or change them often.

Maybe your "system" is obscure enough.  Well, I doubt it.  But even if
it is, what about the next user's?

-- Richard

PS this isn't a unix issue - I've redirected followups to comp.misc
--
Richard Tobin,                       JANET: R.Tobin@uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,           ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk