[comp.unix.wizards] RE <exiting> tip processes on a SUN

swenson@nusc-wpn.arpa (01/05/90)

Mario Dorion SSE Sun Montreal <mario@theglove.sun.com> writes:

> Actually there is an easier way, at least with Sun OS. The gcore
> command (syntax: /usr/ucb/gcore <pid>) has the undocumented
> side-effect of effectively killing an <exiting> process. The trace
> command (syntax: trace -p <pid>) acts the same way.

We tried using gcore per Mario's suggestion and it returned something to the
effect of:

		<pid> Zombie.

And trace is not on our UNIX 3.5 system ... starting to sound like a bad movie.
So we broke out the silver bullets, wooden stakes and sacrificed small animals.
Is there no hope; are our souls doomed to eternal damnation?

				Steve Swenson
				SWENSON@NUSC-WPN.ARPA
------